test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

The Skipper

29. Álvaro Morata

Started by The Skipper,

2,388 posts in this topic
3 hours ago, Laylabelle said:

Depressing to think salah reached 50 goals for Liverpool yesterday... In 65 appearances 

And yet we have Morata.. Who is on 18 with 60 appearancee.. Yay. 

Have no fear, in the next 5 games Alvaro will surely score 32 goals!:cig:

Have you watched Morata at 77” and 79” against Derby? Two seaters. Two dreadful misses.

6 hours ago, BXL70 said:

Have you watched Morata at 77” and 79” against Derby? Two seaters. Two dreadful misses.

Did the keeper not save them?

He's certainly looked better recently although for the money he cost you want more yes.

Vesper likes this

10 minutes ago, Laylabelle said:

Shame his last attempt was bad.. But still he got 2!!

long may it continue but with Morata you just never know, im keeping my mouth shut.

4 minutes ago, Johnnyeye said:

long may it continue but with Morata you just never know, im keeping my mouth shut.

Well he did mess up the last attempt so he still has it.. The annoying side that is. 

Johnnyeye likes this

Probably only striker you still arent comfortable with even after he scores 2. 

I mean sure its nice to have those two goals, but its 1v1 like in the end that show if he is real quality, has composure and finishing ability. 

And Morata just fucks up everytime in those situations. 

What if it was 3:3 or something? You need reliable striker, not someone who misses sitters all the time and scores couple of flukes even he doesnt know how it happened. 

Seriously is there a stat of all 1v1s of Morata and how many he scored/missed? 

Johnnyeye likes this

Thought he was one of the best guys on the park. Two good finishes. Unfortunate with last one but confidence is high obviously or he wouldn't be trying to lob somebody one on one. Really dug us out of a hole today but again constant criticism. 

sainttourist, Thor and Johnnyeye like this

I still think in the long run we need to upgrade up front, but the last couple of games have been far more positive and he deserves some credit for his recent performances.

I felt he was one of the few positives against Derby, he seemed to be more prepared to hold the ball up and play with his back to goal.

And today, I didn't think he was great. But what he did do was score two very smart finishes being where he should be inside the box. The miss at the end was disappointing but he does seem to have a bounce in his step and some confidence. And today and Burnley last week he has scored key goals which have helped us to 6 points. That is what we've been crying out for so long may it continue.

I still think we could be short come the end of the season but the last week I feel far more confident that Morata could get 12-15 league goals this season if he can take this momentum with him and if Hazard can get 20+ and the likes of Willian, Pedro and Barkley all chip in we could sustain a push for the title.

Johnnyeye likes this

Morata's general performance still leaves something to be desired but goalscoring wise, credit where it is due. He has scored 5 goals in his last 6 games in all competitions and he did very well with the two he scored against Palace. Two very well taken goals - the control and the finish on both occasions. Guess the question is, can he keep it up or is it just a false dawn...again? As for his late 1 v 1 miss, I guess if he is a clinical striker, you could forgive him for missing because even the best misses those kind of chances from time to time. But since it's Morata and given his poor record, it really was :rant: moment. It kinda proved the point that he's better when he doesn't have much time to think in front of goal. Seems to miss a lot more when he has too much time!

kellzfresh and Johnnyeye like this

I somewhat think that he is still evolving in his head. He should build his confidence on poachers' goals (like today) and headers, not on 1-on-1-es. He should say to himself - I need to focus to score almost every cross and poaching chance, and if I score 1-on-1 it's even better, but not crucial for me! That way his mind would be at peace, he would know that he is enough (for himself) as he is. And in that way he could be calmer when 1-on-1 is due.

What do you think Giroud tells himself? Same shit, guy can't even run fast enough to GET in 1-on-1 situation, but builds his confidence on aerial presence, headers and some poaching scrapes...

Johnnyeye likes this

If he puts that last one away he’s one goal off the top scorer. That lob was a poor decision though. Could’ve and should’ve gone round the keeper and made life easier for himself. It’s all upstairs for him. Once he gets some composure he will become a deadly striker. 

Johnnyeye likes this

6 minutes ago, Dazzy_Vance said:

If he puts that last one away he’s one goal off the top scorer. That lob was a poor decision though. Could’ve and should’ve gone round the keeper and made life easier for himself. It’s all upstairs for him. Once he gets some composure he will become a deadly striker. 

I agree but the confidence he had to try and lob the keeper, surely can only be a good sign? He can do more but again its the mental side I think he struggles with but he is definitely on for 10-15 goals this season at least, I think he'll get a lot of chances this season, just with the change in playing style it will help him perhaps but still he should be aiming for 20-25 goals. So should Eden at least. Few other guys like Pedro and Willian should be after 10 at least too.

Johnnyeye and Dazzy_Vance like this

13 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

I agree but the confidence he had to try and lob the keeper, surely can only be a good sign? He can do more but again its the mental side I think he struggles with but he is definitely on for 10-15 goals this season at least, I think he'll get a lot of chances this season, just with the change in playing style it will help him perhaps but still he should be aiming for 20-25 goals. So should Eden at least. Few other guys like Pedro and Willian should be after 10 at least too.

It’s good in that he backed himself in to finish it, but I reckon he lacked composure by attempting the lob. A cool head would’ve gone round the keeper and slotted it. I also don’t think he’s in any position to start getting cute considering he often fails with basic finishing. 

Agree in that he needs to aim for 20+ goals. Still don’t think 20 is out of the question this season. If he can get another three or four (approximately one every two games) before the year finishes then he’s set himself up nicely for it. 

Johnnyeye and OneMoSalah like this

15 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Every single EPL champion for the last 9 years in a row has had a 20 goal scoring CF.

Johnnyeye likes this

Hazard-Morata-Pedro/Willian just isn't enough. More disappointment awaits if that front line does not change in January and summer.

I'm fine with Pedro staying as long as he wants; he won't be a first choice forward if Chelsea buy right, but he's a good backup.

Johnnyeye likes this

We have to be grateful for these small mercies we are seeing, he's starting to score.

Of course it's still a weakness but his confidence is gaining, he must keep scoring, if he does anything is possible.

Johnnyeye likes this