Álvaro Morata

Captain Ahmed

1 hour ago, communicate said:

Go to the gym and lift more weight. That is what he need to do. Looking at his body you can tell he is not ready for epl.

That is not true. His balance and hold up play is very good and second half he improved his hold up play. Morata posed a lot more problems second half on the ball too. Made a couple vital headed clearances and also ran the channels well and created couple good opportunities. Was amazing the way he outpaced Alderwerield and nearly carved out a goalscoring opportunity. Looking forward to seeing him play against Everton when for 1 game he will actually have better service. First game, he was playing with a 10 man team. Today he was isolated against a  team dominating much of the ball. He will score goals for fun once he is being fed the ball more. Espec when Hazard is back.

8 minutes ago, Special said:

He is not ready physically. After minute 70 he could hardly run and this was the reason Conte made substitution.

False. I'm not saying whether Morata is fit or not, but Conte's decision clearly wasn't because of that. It was due to the fact that we needed our front-men to press more and give the Spurs defenders less time on the ball, also for them to win more second balls, all of this to help our backline to push forward and not sink deeper and deeper.

1 hour ago, Hybrid Angel said:

False. I'm not saying whether Morata is fit or not, but Conte's decision clearly wasn't because of that. It was due to the fact that we needed our front-men to press more and give the Spurs defenders less time on the ball, also for them to win more second balls, all of this to help our backline to push forward and not sink deeper and deeper.

Actually I said the same thing. He could hardly run and press. First it was only Pedro who was warming up to replace Willian, but when Conte saw Morata could hardly run he immediately called Batshuayi and did 2 substitutions at the same time.

1 minute ago, Special said:

Actually I said the same thing. He could hardly run and press. First it was only Pedro who was warming up to replace Willian, but when Conte saw Morata could hardly run he immediately called Batshuayi and did 2 substitutions at the same time.

My mistake, somehow I missed the 'he could hardly' run part entirely. :D

He's still got to improve on his hold up play and his dribbling style is eerily reminiscent of Torres. He does have quick feet but tends to get the ball stuck in between or underneath his feet too easily.
Made some good runs that were ignored, but looked dangerous when running the channels.

Not going to put too much stock into his missed header, think he had too much time and jumped too early. It was also quite early in the match as well, even the best of strikers would miss them sometimes.

Loved the bit where he killed Alderweireld for pace when we were on the counter. He's definitely got a great burst of acceleration over 10 yards.

I don't think we can really judge him in his current physical state, especially since Spurs quite literally had at least four players around him whenever he got the ball. Should have scored, should have held the ball up better, but I reckon even a prime Drogba would have struggled yesterday. I'm still unsure as to how we won. 

Was a tough game for him, spurs were super physical and the ref let alot of the tackles go. For not being fully fit and isolated up top I thought he did as good a job as we could ask. Having fabregas/hazard/pedro back after the international break we will see a different morata. He fought for us and defended well on set pieces. Should have scored that header but nobody is perfect. once he picks up that "shield your body and fall over" move Kane uses constantly and gets a handle on how they call the game he will thrive. He ran himself into the ground for us. International break cant come soon enough to get some fitness work in for Baka/Morata/Hazard