Álvaro Morata

Captain Ahmed

3 hours ago, Chelsea_firstlove said:

Morata: 20 mins- 5 aerials won

Batshuayi: 80 mins - 0 aerials won

I like the different dynamic they both bring. 

I don't know if I mentioned it in my previous post, but Morata has looked a bit slower than usual. Might just be the preseason and all, but usually, from the highlights and few games I've seen of him, he is a bit of a speedster. Once his fitness is there again, I'm looking forward to see what he can do. Like I said, wasn't too thrilled with the signing, but after watching him, I've become a fan. Weird, seeing as how most have been disappointed with him. 

3 hours ago, Henrique said:

Great stats. He also wore #9 shirt more times in the last 15 minutes than Costa did in his entire career.

I think the hint of sarcasm in my post may have been lost on you.

The whole point is this forum overreacts on a whim. If he scored 2 goals next weekend he'll be the second coming of pele.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

I was one of few against the signing on the board, and thought we should have gone for Lukaku, but after watching him play last night, I thought he did really well. 

I commented on the missed penalty just as some perspective based on how some on this board will bash one player for a certain thing, but another will get a pass. At the end of the day, should hit that nearly every time, but it happens. I won't blame him for the missed penalty. Everyone misses. 

Aside from his very first touch in the game where he bobbled it and lost it in the middle of the park, he was very impressive with his hold up and distribution off some difficult balls. Courtois was lobbing them to him and nearly every time he was around the ball, he controlled it or headed it to one of our men. Obviously when we're playing our best side, that will come extremely handy. Something we didn't get much of with Costa in the line up. 

this, it is just crazy that the one who wanted Lukaku (including me) is the one that actually impressed with morata. I was also impressed, in 20 minutes his perfomance I thought was quite good.

His link up play and passing is just so much cleaner than Costa, no wonder he is a better no 9 for spain compare to Diego. 

7 hours ago, Thor said:

I was one of few against the signing on the board, and thought we should have gone for Lukaku, but after watching him play last night, I thought he did really well. 

I commented on the missed penalty just as some perspective based on how some on this board will bash one player for a certain thing, but another will get a pass. At the end of the day, should hit that nearly every time, but it happens. I won't blame him for the missed penalty. Everyone misses. 

Aside from his very first touch in the game where he bobbled it and lost it in the middle of the park, he was very impressive with his hold up and distribution off some difficult balls. Courtois was lobbing them to him and nearly every time he was around the ball, he controlled it or headed it to one of our men. Obviously when we're playing our best side, that will come extremely handy. Something we didn't get much of with Costa in the line up. 

I came here to comment but this post already lays it out. 

Morata played far better than batshuayi imo and because he missed a penalty, he's been crucified.

People are acting as if he didn't play while we're with ten men. He made runs off the ball like costa and in his presence and running, we created more chances than when batshuayi was playing. He won more headers than batshuayi and Costa combined and could be a genuine aerial outlet for us. And most importantly, he wasn't losing the ball and passing it to the opponent like costa did in the second half last season. 

Hazard takes our penalties anyway, so I'm not worried if he's poor at them.

11 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

There is a big difference between strikers who have flopped for Chelsea and first choice strikers who have flopped.

We've definitely brought some dross, but certainly in the last 20 years I can only think of Torres and Sutton as first choice strikers who have been pitiful. 

Zola, Vialli, Hughes, Flo, Hasselbaink, Drogba, Costa...we've far from had it too bad.

Shevchenko?

7 hours ago, Cosmin said:

FERNAAAANDO TORRES, CHELSEA'S NUMBER NINE!

Oh, wait! :D

I'm just kidding, it was just a bad game. He only had a few trainings with the team. Cut the guy some slack.

Tbf the exact same thing was said about Torres. "He has not been training with the team enough", "he is not used to the new environment", "he is low on confidence becasue he has not played so much recently " and all this shit. It fits the notion spread in the media that Morata, similar to Torres, is kind of  a nice guy, a sensible palyer who needs the backing and confidence of the maanger in short a sissy who can not cope when things are nog oing his way. The penalty miss also adds to this. I do not bealieve the case is as grave as with Torres. Morata is younger, bigger, in better physical condition bought as the manager's not the owner's darling, had at least half a pre-season with the team. Also better players have missed more important penalties. Finally, the msot important reason why I think MOrata will succeed other than Torres is this: For him to play it is not Drogba we need to renounce - but Michy Batshuayi. 

Imagine on your first day at work your colleagues start whining about the fact that:

-you were very silent the whole day, you must be a poor addition to the team

-it took you a while to figure out how the company's ERP system works

-They had to hold the elevator door because you came in seconds behind them => slow!!!

Give the guy some time will you? I start to believe that some 'fans' here will only tell someone is good after scoring match winning hattricks...

On topic: still think we should have gone for Lukaku. Pre-season or not... he would have been 100% ready! 

morata is not a target man... that would have been lukaku.

morata is a player who will, hopefully, enable his attacking teammates to do more and score more.

that lukaku cannot do.

point being that the club made a choice on how to play rather than on merely picking one striker vs another.