test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

The Skipper

Álvaro Morata

Started by The Skipper,

2,847 posts in this topic
9 hours ago, The Skipper said:

That’s my whole point - it’s what Torres used to get praised for as well. If he had a game where he did the basics right he’d suddenly have played a good game. 

But that's what I mean, how often did Torres actually get the basics right?  It seemed to me his praise came from people desperately clinging onto thin air (hence this false myth of him working hard when in reality it couldn't be further from the truth). Not that I wouldn't be up for upgrading on Morata, quite the opposite infact, but if he is to be compared to a striker in that era I would say he was closer to Eto'o than Torres.

Don't really get some of the comments here..

Morata wasn't shit that's all. If that is what we're expecting from our striker at this point .......

Torres had  good games too in which he led the game well, assisted, combined well, tried hard but the he had patches wete he was completely anonymous or even worse produced like 20 turnovers. But for Torres it was his pace he lost with that injury and witj his pace his confidence left. Morata just has shot confidence and struggles to pull himself out. He will have good patches where he scores a few games in a row and other than Torres he still has his pace and is good in the air but he will never be a consiatent leading striker and that is why he can never be a main man in attack. He is too busy sorting himself out too lead the line. He would be a decent 2nd striker like at Juve or a joker or maybe even a starter dor a mid table team where the pressure is not that big but he will never be a Kane/lewandowski type of lone striker

yuvala and Cosmin like this

12 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

Who cares if striker can linkup if he cant score a damn goal.

I want striker to know how to finish, so that you have someone reliable uptop. If he can also link up, thats only a bonus, not an excuse.

Lets not kid ourselves, Morata isnt as bad player as was Torres, but he is bad as a striker. Neither could score. 

Thats a big problem and we must bench him if he wont get shit together by the end of august.

Most big team actually prefer their striker to be able to link up first. It is basically the bare minimum requirement, if your link up play is bad you won't even play.  It doesn't matter if you are a good finisher. Michy is our best finisher yet he is loaned to Valencia, Sturridge was pool best finisher but firmino start ahead of him, benzema is still real main striker. 

Robchels and OhForAGreavsie like this

Can't understand how people can be satisfied with his performances when he can't score goals (that's what strikers should do)...

our standards are so low sometimes...

26 minutes ago, xPetrCechx said:

Can't understand how people can be satisfied with his performances when he can't score goals (that's what strikers should do)...

our standards are so low sometimes...

Can’t understand how some people are still complaining about goals when we comfortably won 3-0. He did have a good game, yet some people get off on complaining.

OneMoSalah likes this

31 minutes ago, Polo7 said:

Can’t understand how some people are still complaining about goals when we comfortably won 3-0. He did have a good game, yet some people get off on complaining.

He played like shit in almost every game since spring, this one he was marginally acceptable, and it was against Huddersfield, ffs. He has been a massive flop, and you simply cannot finish in the top four with a cocked up striker. It is not rocket science. Either he improves to a point that I fear is now beyond all reasonable expectation, or we will have to rely on Giroud yet again, who is hardly a scoring machine at this point in his career. It is not like we have the French WC team backing up Giroud.

Unionjack and Mana like this

47 minutes ago, Vesper said:

He played like shit in almost every game since spring, this one he was marginally acceptable, and it was against Huddersfield, ffs. He has been a massive flop, and you simply cannot finish in the top four with a cocked up striker. It is not rocket science. Either he improves to a point that I fear is now beyond all reasonable expectation, or we will have to rely on Giroud yet again, who is hardly a scoring machine at this point in his career. It is not like we have the French WC team backing up Giroud.

Do you remember Drogba when he first came? Probably not, as you were a united fan then.

I wish people would stop bringing up Drogba in this thread. Drogba was an anomaly. How many player besides Drogba do you know who became as good as him in such a short time like Didier did?

DDA likes this

10 minutes ago, Amblève. said:

I wish people would stop bringing up Drogba in this thread. Drogba was an anomaly. How many player besides Drogba do you know who became as good as him in such a short time like Didier did?

How about all the players Mourinho sold during his second spell. Because José, like our fans have no patience. Yet when Morata is sold and does well elsewhere, the same guys will complain about the board.

Thor likes this

He is a very easy target right now even if he doesn't help himself out sometimes with easy misses.

But I'm wondering if playing with his old mate Mat might help him on. Not only balling wise but also his confidence.

Morata has already said that Mat was one of the best MF in the world and pictures Ive seen they look like they get on well. Might be good for him??

We shall see eh. Bloody hope so.

Unlike De Bruyne and Salah, Morata has been given every opportunity to succeed. It is not my fault the board was so stupid and didn't include a buyback clause in both their contracts. They were younger too than Morata is now, so it was even more disastrous to not put one in.

I suppose they could insert one in a Morata sale, but after this year, unless he finally comes good, I fail to see much of a point, as his value will already be shot so low by then it really wont matter much, as if we did sell him, 2 years from next summer (so summer of 2021, when a buyback clause normally kicks in, 2 years after sale) he will be on the verge turning 29. We wouldn't give him a 5 year contract then, as he would be 33, and soon 34 at the end.

Unionjack and Amblève. like this

21 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Costa didn't even score more than 20 in the league in a season

Diego went weeks without scoring. There were loads on here shouting for his blood.

33 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

Diego went weeks without scoring. There were loads on here shouting for his blood.

Exactly and hes been the best striker we've had here in years. Just shows how easily fans turn on a player for next to fuck all. 

Unionjack likes this

Literally a game in and you guys are complaining about him like it is the end of the world. Won't even give him any chance to play in the system. 

bigbluewillie likes this