Tiemoue Bakayoko

the wes

9 hours ago, Leif said:

They're different players, but question who offers the long term value.

I have no bias here; I wouldn't be excited if we signed Fabinho; he's just a box-to-box player, but...

Fabinho can fit into any formation. He has shown himself equally strong in defence, as midfield, in every role you can think of, from right back, to centre midfield, to centre back, to being a damn winger when the time calls. It's hard to define which is his number 1, best trait, because he's good at so much - nobody since Lampard could strike the ball from outside the box with such accuracy, so consistently. Nobody since Makelele, in our team, has shown the same level of awareness when facing threat from the other team, though I understand Kante could be argued as his equal.

His actual tackling ability, once the 2 players are only 1cm from eachother, is simply other-wordly from both Matic & Bakayoko. Where both of the latter will use their body strength first, throwing themselves into a challenge, and releasing the ball later, Fabinho only enters a tackle once we knows with complete certainty, that he'll have at least 1 option once he's got the ball. Bakayoko and Matic, both of them, tackle the player first - figure out if it was worth it, 2nd. Fabinho has the foresight, and that's why Mourinho wanted him, where Emenalo wanted Bakayoko, probably under the guise that since he'd be snagged for up to 10m cheaper, his 'potential' is somehow increased.

Not so, unfortunately. 

Fabinho has every trait Lampard had. Every trait any great midfielder had, and that is his best area to be deployed. Vision. Ultra-quick instinct. Aggression. Ability to soak up new tactics. Level-headed off the field. 

Bakayoko, to compare, I struggle to find anything he's great at. He's good at winning the ball, some of the time, by throwing himself into the tackle before the other player expects it (he tackles early), but that's barely a tick to his name, it's just his style, which fails as often as it succeeds. Neither player offers more pace or momentum than the other. I don't need to say that only 1 player out of these 2 is captain material...

So you have a winner, who can fit in any formation, in any role, and play it better than any peer, vs. a limited player, who can only work in a 2-man defensive-midfield set-up so that his blunders can be covered.
One reads the game like a master - the other thinks he can master the game by having more energy than his peers. It's literally, genuinely, so close, to a comparison of Lampard vs. post-injury Essien, or Ramires.

If you want to do what's best for Conte, no question, you sign Bakayoko. If you want what's best for the club, especially in 2-3 years once our manager has changed, 100 times out of 100, you sign Fabinho, who once signed by any club, will be desired and loved for at least a decade. Bakayoko can't dream of such love, for good reason - he's an average footballer.

Well explained. Now I have some clarity :)

However I m a little confused. If Fabinho is so good and Bakayoko is average why is there so much hype around Bakayoko and not Fabinho. because everywhere u see since last season when Monoco as a team did so well there are more talks about the Mbhappes, the Silvas, the Bakayokos, the Mendys but so little about Fabinho (One case could be that I looking at the wrong places). 

11 minutes ago, coolhead23 said:

However I m a little confused. If Fabinho is so good and Bakayoko is average why is there so much hype around Bakayoko and not Fabinho. because everywhere u see since last season when Monoco as a team did so well there are more talks about the Mbhappes, the Silvas, the Bakayokos, the Mendys but so little about Fabinho (One case could be that I looking at the wrong places). 

Kante , drinkwater. Bakayoko, fabinho.

Kante made drinkwater look like a boss and he was out of his depth last season. I feel Baka did the same with fabinho last season, suppose we won't no for sure until mid next season. Will be very interesting tho.

35 minutes ago, coolhead23 said:

I think when a midfielder like Fabinho does his job perfectly, most people tend not to notice. A bit like everyone raved about Xavi/Iniesta, when it was Busquets refining and mastering a role. Like when Makelele was absurdly talented, but nobody in the league talked about him, because he wasn't flashy like those around him. In fact it's hardly different from how nobody in the league but Chelsea/Leic fans appreciate Kante. I mean Kante is by far our most important midfielder, but we don't see highlight reels or 5 second Vines of him; the world instead, sees Matic score an amazing goal vs. Tottenham, push players to the ground with superior strength, and then they believe Matic is somehow equal to Kante. 

I couldn't stop gushing over Fabinho in this scenario if i tried. He's calmer, stronger, taller; he has a far more powerful shot; he's a penalty taking wiz; he's simply the 'smarter' footballer of the 2 in terms of football IQ...he's one of maybe 20 players in Europe who'd be able to kick it with any teams from any era. Bakayoko would be laughed out of most elite teams from history, based on his current level. Based on current level, Fabinho would've got into our original dominant side a decade ago; he would've been better than Gattuso for Milan; from way back then to today still, he'd look tailor-made for any United squad; he'd even be a very solid replacement for either Vidal or X. Alonso at Bayern; they'd retain their dominant, calm demeanor. Bakayoko though i'm sure, would be deemed too erratic by every top side, which we're not yet back to being. 

He isn't exciting to a lot of people, but it's hard to appreciate even the very best classical music when the rest of the world is playing average pop. We appreciate what we're familiar with more than we appreciate what's good for us.
Without hoards of journalists & whatnot saying 'Fabinho's clearly better', we doubt ourselves and the player. But when thousands of teenagers on Twitter change their avi's to Bakayoko, and make Vines for the player, he's suddenly, perhaps, maybe... the next coming of Christ?

It's really just the same as music. More people in this world will say Beyonce is a greater singer than Whitney Houston was, but that doesn't mean it's true. People rarely answer who is actually, technically, literally better, but instead just who they prefer. And more people prefer Bakayoko, because let's face it, he's more charismatic. 

41 minutes ago, Fernando said:

This should have been announced by now. 

I wonder if we are going to take another week to finish the medical? 

It has been widely reported that he already passed the medical, and has signed for the club. They are most likely just working on making an announcement.

3 minutes ago, Rekin said:

It has been widely reported that he already passed the medical, and has signed for the club. They are most likely just working on making an announcement.

Chelsea FC would like to welcome bakayoko to the club. <<< that will do haha