Antonio Rudiger

Cholo

I think he'll turn out to be a good signing. Athletic player, decent on the ball, good passing, can play several positions in different systems. His decision-making and awareness can be questionable at times, but he's still pretty young and i think Conte will be able to help him with that. 

I have a feeling this will be a good signing for us. Perfect player to bring in for competition and for backup if needed, for cheap. He won't automatically block Christensen's path like Bonucci or VVD would have done with their record fees. I am calm about this transfer, at least we are strengthening in numbers if nothing else, but I believe he will also bring qualities we were missing.

16 hours ago, 11Drogba said:

I wish I could say the same about your question. Did you really not get the sarcasm.

70-80% here were saying that we should stick with Mourinho while I was saying Conte is the best option for us. That was fall 2015. Then they said we were destined to fail, top 4 was a success for us. That was fall 2016.

I am just looking forward to reading what will be written in fall 2017.

You write that like you were in the minority welcoming Conte here.

2 hours ago, Artandur said:

I think he'll turn out to be a good signing. Athletic player, decent on the ball, good passing, can play several positions in different systems. His decision-making and awareness can be questionable at times, but he's still pretty young and i think Conte will be able to help him with that. 

How on earth can a manager have any influence over a player consistently making dumb decisions? It's all up to the player; it's not like a manager made Messi great, Terry great, Hazard great, Luiz great. They made themselves great. Rudiger has only regressed, every single year, each season becoming less impressive than the last. He's shown 0 signs that he's going to improve any time soon. Players don't all share a magical commonality being that they always have room to grow and more potential to fill. Sometimes, even when you're 'young', you're just not that good, and aren't going to be.

That's not to say he'll outright fail. He does have beef on him, which is all the Premier League needs now; well strength and pace.

1 hour ago, Leif said:

How on earth can a manager have any influence over a player consistently making dumb decisions? It's all up to the player; it's not like a manager made Messi great, Terry great, Hazard great, Luiz great. They made themselves great. Rudiger has only regressed, every single year, each season becoming less impressive than the last. He's shown 0 signs that he's going to improve any time soon. Players don't all share a magical commonality being that they always have room to grow and more potential to fill. Sometimes, even when you're 'young', you're just not that good, and aren't going to be.

That's not to say he'll outright fail. He does have beef on him, which is all the Premier League needs now; well strength and pace.

Classic case of "I never said he would fail" when in 6 months he proves you dead wrong. I don't even like him all that much but again what do I know? Well I know that this particular board has been in place for at least 5 yrs and have overseen 2 european cup, a few domestic cups and 2 leagues... but Leif knows best guys. LOL

Managers improve players all the time. You don't think Luiz, Alonso, Moses improved under Conte's tutelage? Tactics often play into it and clearly this is a guy the club have identified on numerous occasions who fits in here and can fulfill a number of roles.

You guys throw your toys out the pram for every signing that's not Messi or Ronaldo, yet its been the more astute signings of Alonso, Moses, Kante, Luiz that won us the title. Let this play out, no one thinks you know more than the scouts, board and manager... you're only here for our amusement and its getting tired.

4 minutes ago, Supermonkey92 said:

I think he's dopey. Will be ok in some games and shoddy in others. In that sense he reminds me of Cahill. 

Would I love to be here in 6 months eating my words because he turned into Boateng? Without a doubt!

I don't get you guys at all...

On one hand you call Christensen, Franz Beckenbauer 2.0, the guy who should be given every chance to succeed. Then on the other you want Chelsea to spend 60m on Van Dijk who will most assuredly block Christensen and likely make him expendable.

This is a depth signing with the potential to put pressure on some of our older players. People look at the amount and think automatic starter, I don't, I see squad player who can fill in for cup games and midweeks at a few positions. 

Decent signing for 30ishM

1 hour ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

This is a depth signing with the potential to put pressure on some of our older players. People look at the amount and think automatic starter, I don't, I see squad player who can fill in for cup games and midweeks at a few positions. 

People just need to look at Baba and Michy to realize that the club likes to spend around 30M on anyone.

Can I just say, as someone who follows the Serie A weekly, some of what's been said about him is mental. I get that people will have very different opinions about players, but it's usually within a certain margin. You can't seriously say he's worse than Kurt Zouma!

Now, I'm not saying he's Fabio bloody Cannavaro, but he is a German international. He's quite clearly a capable young defender.

As for the comparisons with Manolas, they are very different players. Manolas is more of an aggressive traditional defender while Ruediger is more of a modern defender with great technique on the ball and a better football IQ.