• Costa
    • Costa (sub)
    • Hazard (sub)
    • Fabregas (sub)

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conte masterstroke, he was out of this world tonight with that game management. Azpi, Luiz, Ake, Moses, Hazard, Fab, Kante, Willian, Batman lovely performances, and Matic wonder strike but 98% passenger again.

A couple of points:

Advantage of using left-footed LCB in Ake,---easier to buildup play from the back, and linking with Alonso. No need to resort to hoofing the ball from that side. The only disadvantage from bringing Ake in, that I could see was losing 'height advantage' when defending set-pieces. (Although conceding Kane's goal had nothing to do with lack of height)

Batshuayi's link up play gives food for thought. I like he how well he distributed the ball from up front. Well aware of the movement of not only his flanking wingers, but the full-backs as well. And he uses his strength well to shield the ball well. Could be really advantageous in setting up attacking midfielders like Hazard or Fabregas.

Me, my dad and my Uncle, all die hard Chelsea fans were listening to the game on the radio on the way to a gig in Cardiff, I think it's fair to say the car was absolutely shaking when both Hazard and Matic scored.

WHAT A DAY. WHAT A LOVELY DAY!

Well well well what a fucking thriller that was

watched almost the whole game on the go on my iphone while taking various trains and busses. I swear i crossed at least six streets without looking up as my eyes were pinned to the screen. That was kinda dangerous but totally worth it

First of all Conte's team selection was absolutely brilliant. I really doubted his ambitions regarding this game when resting Hazard and Costa, but he totally knew what he was doing. Ake, Willian and Michy really gave their all even though the latter's output was not perfect. Willian simply the dead ball king and we know, he hates Tottenham so he had to play^^ 

We dominated the game up to their first goal and really frustrated them. After their equalizer I really was a bit anxious as they started rolling, but apart from their goals, which were fluke goals, really difficult finishes that end up wide 9 times out of 10, we contained them and make them play backwards all the time. Also our pressing was fine with some really nice steals which we should have done more of. 

They will say 4-2 was harsh but Spurs were actually lucky we did not punish their turnovers more resolutely, Alonso and Costa should have scored in the end too.

Great finishing really makes a difference. If we continue this and finish as strongly as we did in our 13 games winning patch we will win the double. 

A couple of special mentions have to go to 

1) DAT Matic goals. A few times he takes on these strikes and this one was the best he could ever produce. What a hit, inch perfect in the top corner. Has to be goal of the season. The commentators even criticized Conte for taking off Pedro instead of Matic for Cesc but boy did Matic repay that.

2) Nathan Ake.Great Wembley debut from the little man. defensively resolute, standing his ground against bigger men. He virtually completed what is known as a Kalas in contemporary sports history. Absolutely bossing a rare start in a vital game having the best striker in the country in his pocket only to be never heard of again afterwards^^

Other than that KTBFFH and win the fucking double!

2 hours ago, Pizy said:

Think if we want to be more comfortable football wise when playing against sides like Spuds we need a proper, world class midfield partner with Kante. Wonder strike aside, Matic was again poor.

Much as I hate to compliment a Spuds player Dembele was excellent once more against us. He and Wanyama dominate the midfield most games for them which allows complete freedom for Dele and Eriksen. They give us so many problems in the middle of the pitch.

We need a player like Dembele who has both steel and great ability on the ball to replace Matic who would still be a very useful option to have when we will be playing on 4 fronts next season. He's too much of a liability.

This is where I would love to have Radja. 

Lets hope that crazy fool decides to leave Roma. If not we will go for Monaco Bakayoko. 

52 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

2) Nathan Ake.Great Wembley debut from the little man. defensively resolute, standing his ground against bigger men. He virtually completed what is known as a Kalas in contemporary sports history. Absolutely bossing a rare start in a vital game having the best striker in the country in his pocket only to be never heard of again afterwards^^

Exactly what I was thinking. Hopefully he doesn't do a Kalas and actually stays!

6 hours ago, Pizy said:

Think if we want to be more comfortable football wise when playing against sides like Spuds we need a proper, world class midfield partner with Kante. Wonder strike aside, Matic was again poor.

Much as I hate to compliment a Spuds player Dembele was excellent once more against us. He and Wanyama dominate the midfield most games for them which allows complete freedom for Dele and Eriksen. They give us so many problems in the middle of the pitch.

We need a player like Dembele who has both steel and great ability on the ball to replace Matic who would still be a very useful option to have when we will be playing on 4 fronts next season. He's too much of a liability.

Been saying this for ages. In fact, just before this game started on the post match thread with us and United, I was saying how important it is to have a Pogba/Dembele type of player in long run. Dembele provides so much protection and provides all the substance for their main attacking threat to do their job. Although we won, the we were outplayed throughout that match is worrying. It s good when we use the counter to advantage but to develop as a really top side, it is important that we know to use the ball in important matches because we were getting picked off throughout the match regularly.

I said before on here that Dembele is the best CM in the league for me. He can dribble, protects the back 4, lays off passes. It helps them that Dembele and Wanyama are so phycially big too. Kante is brilliant but even him is vulnerable to losing the ball. So yeah, hopefully a Naingollan type player can come in.

10 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Whole game on iplayer - not sure if you can get that in Lebanon ?

I've no idea either.

Thanks but the whole game is probably too big to download on my connection. I usually just download the highlights (MOTD or otherwise) when we have a good/important result and store them on my computer so I can remember and look at the high points of any Chelsea season whenever I want.

I'm weird...