Red Card Fanzine

Fulham Broadway

FAO Iggy, Oh for a Greavsie and any other 'oldies' here

Saw this on another site....

Got some sad news last night...Alan Collis passed away.

Many of you will have known Alan.
A Chelsea supporter going back to the 60s, he started the Red Card Chelsea fanzine in the late 80s, when the fanzines were the only avenues for alternative views on the club.

Alan was very perceptive and had a sharp sense of humour which led to numerous run-ins with Ken Bates but he always managed to avoid Kens litigation.

We had some fantastic adventures abroad, particularly when Chelsea found themselves back in Europe after 22 years, in 1994. The trips to Prague, Vienna and Zaragoza were particularly enjoyable.

Alan had suffered cancer for the last 18 months, although you wouldnt have known it the last time I saw him at a game last season. He was still running and looked remarkably well.
He was still driving his black cab around Sutton and Carshalton, giving his opinions on life in general and Chelsea Football Club in particular, to anyone who would listen.

He passed away peacefully at The Royal Marsden last night with his two children Oliver and Natalie at his bedside. He was only 61.

RIP Alan...one of lifes characters

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

FAO Iggy, Oh for a Greavsie and any other 'oldies' here

Saw this on another site....

Got some sad news last night...Alan Collis passed away.

Many of you will have known Alan.
A Chelsea supporter going back to the 60s, he started the Red Card Chelsea fanzine in the late 80s, when the fanzines were the only avenues for alternative views on the club.

Alan was very perceptive and had a sharp sense of humour which led to numerous run-ins with Ken Bates but he always managed to avoid Kens litigation.

We had some fantastic adventures abroad, particularly when Chelsea found themselves back in Europe after 22 years, in 1994. The trips to Prague, Vienna and Zaragoza were particularly enjoyable.

Alan had suffered cancer for the last 18 months, although you wouldnt have known it the last time I saw him at a game last season. He was still running and looked remarkably well.
He was still driving his black cab around Sutton and Carshalton, giving his opinions on life in general and Chelsea Football Club in particular, to anyone who would listen.

He passed away peacefully at The Royal Marsden last night with his two children Oliver and Natalie at his bedside. He was only 61.

RIP Alan...one of lifes characters

I used to buy Red Card and Weststanders all the time either off him outside the ground or in Sportspages in Charing Cross. Very friendly bloke always up for a chat about Chelsea RIP Alan.

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 10:14 PM, Iggy Doonican said:

I used to buy Red Card and Weststanders all the time either off him outside the ground or in Sportspages in Charing Cross. Very friendly bloke always up for a chat about Chelsea RIP Alan.

Still got a few copies knocking around somewhere - and loads of CFCUK s

6 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Still got a few copies knocking around somewhere - and loads of CFCUK s

Moved house a few years ago had to leave all my fanzines just no room F.B. I used to subscribe to the Chelsea Independent (still got the badge) bought Red Card, Weststanders, SW6, Carefree  and even bought only once The Blues Brothers a Chelsea, Rangers, Linfield fanzine which was frankly a load of absolute shite. There was another fanzine called Cockney Rebel that was sold by an old geezer usually outside the Northstand which was just a bit weird. It was like the ramblings of a pissed up old bloke who had access to a printing machine.

On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 8:13 PM, Iggy Doonican said:

It was like the ramblings of a pissed up old bloke who had access to a printing machine.

Like me and the internet.

Yeah Chelsea Independent was immense. Going down memory lane now but do you remember Chelsea Club call ? Just a load of Chelsea news on the end of a premium rate phone number, but mandatory to ring up on Friday night or Saturday morning usually from a phone at work.

Never used it FB but plenty of times I rang the club to find out the score of a game. No internet, football used to be on Radio 2 no teletext so if you weren't at the game you couldn't find out the result (midweek games) until the ten o' clock news on the radio or the end of News at Ten. Can even remember the number 385-5545.

6 hours ago, Iggy Doonican said:

Never used it FB but plenty of times I rang the club to find out the score of a game. No internet, football used to be on Radio 2 no teletext so if you weren't at the game you couldn't find out the result (midweek games) until the ten o' clock news on the radio or the end of News at Ten. Can even remember the number 385-5545.

Might ring them and ask the score after next match - ''My wireless is broken''