The Sutton connection

cosmicway

This is the story:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39037401

But it is outrageous.
We are allowed to bet on the names to be given to royal babies, but not on the Sutton goalie eating a pie.
The royals are supposed to be impartial, which is fair enough, but why not the goalie ?

Wayne-Shaw-the-Sutton-reserve-goalkeeper

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

''A worldwide ban on betting in football was introduced in 2014 and covers everyone involved in the game, from the players and managers to the match officials and club staff.

It prevents participants covered by the ban from betting, either directly or indirectly, on any football match or competition, including the passing of "inside information".

This has to be in place to stop people and clubs throwing games, and deciding the outcome. I bet regularly on matches but you cant have people involved in matches doing it. Its not rocket surgery

1 minute ago, Fulham Broadway said:

''A worldwide ban on betting in football was introduced in 2014 and covers everyone involved in the game, from the players and managers to the match officials and club staff.

It prevents participants covered by the ban from betting, either directly or indirectly, on any football match or competition, including the passing of "inside information".

This has to be in place to stop people and clubs throwing games, and deciding the outcome. I bet regularly on matches but you cant have people involved in matches doing it. Its not rocket surgery

Does it involve eating pie though? It was not a footballing bet.

6 minutes ago, manpe said:

Does it involve eating pie though? It was not a footballing bet.

Yes it was a novelty bet, but he was in the squad, there were five figure sums paid out to his mates.  If they let this slide  -thin end of the wedge.

At the end of the day it's the integrity of sport we're talking about -we've seen what happened in snooker and cricket.

Incidentally its odd how the camera lingered on him for a while -was the camera man / director in on it as well ?

9 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Yes it was a novelty bet, but he was in the squad, there were five figure sums paid out to his mates.  If they let this slide  -thin end of the wedge.

At the end of the day it's the integrity of sport we're talking about -we've seen what happened in snooker and cricket.

Incidentally its odd how the camera lingered on him for a while -was the camera man / director in on it as well ?

Makes sense. But what does the betting company get out of it when they had to pay out a five figure sum? I don't believe many people would bet on this nonsense except for those who knew he would do it, and bookies always look to cash in than pay out. If it's just for (bad) publicity is it really worth it? I have never bet on anything and I don't know the ins and outs of gambling world, but it just seems like a waste of money to me for a few mentions of the company name in a few ridiculous articles.

Out of curiosity, what happened in snooker and cricket? Distant sports to me, I don't even have any clue what cricket is about, so I haven't seen anything.

1 minute ago, manpe said:

But what does the betting company get out of it when they had to pay out a five figure sum? I

Publicity mainly. Its Sunbets, the Sun will do anything for money, hacking murdered girls phones etc.

3 minutes ago, manpe said:

Out of curiosity, what happened in snooker and cricket?

Matches were thrown because of insider betting - the same with football matches in China. Some tennis matches have also come under scrutiny.

I  don't want to come across all pieous about it, but the game is awash with gambling now- every half time just betting adverts

4 hours ago, cosmicway said:

This is the story:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39037401

But it is outrageous.
We are allowed to bet on the names to be given to royal babies, but not on the Sutton goalie eating a pie.
The royals are supposed to be impartial, which is fair enough, but why not the goalie ?

Wayne-Shaw-the-Sutton-reserve-goalkeeper

Man City are going to buy him he's better then Claudio Bravo.

3 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Publicity mainly. Its Sunbets, the Sun will do anything for money, hacking murdered girls phones etc.

Matches were thrown because of insider betting - the same with football matches in China. Some tennis matches have also come under scrutiny.

I  don't want to come across all pieous about it, but the game is awash with gambling now- every half time just betting adverts

Hacking murdered girls phones, WTF? :blink:

Ah yeah, throwing matches is nothing new. It was a major problem, maybe still is over here. Organized criminal betting groups over here in Estonia too mainly from Asia, and it's not difficult because our footballers don't earn much, so some are happy to, for example, nonchalantly tie their boots while in the process of being scored against (true story, was so blatant and funny). And it "isn't at all suspcious" when some random Asian groups appear in attendance, keeping in mind that our average premier league football attendance is in tens or maybe hundreds, so they stand out like a sore thumb. :D

Come on.
Eating a pie in a bench is a one in a zillion probability.
I might as well declare odds that when you go downtown you are going to meet a blonde woman at exactly 1.30, at exactly the west exit of Earlscourt road station.
So this fellow then is doing it every other time. Otherwise it does n't even make sense.
But in such a context it's just like the royal babies and I can see no offense.

1 hour ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Was it ?
Worldwide as well ?
Fact is that in Greece there was a law proposal in 2014 making it illegal for sports people to bet on events of the sport of which they were under the sport authority's orders. That is, football - FA, horses - Jockey Club, golph - Golph Association a.s.o.
This could be violated by using proxy bettors but it was something better than nothing in the fight against corruption in sport.
Some called it useless but I don't think it was useless and I supported the move.
I took part in the public consultation and what I said was "watch out and don't forget to include horse racing in this law".

But ...
In 2015 the government changed and the new government buried this law proposal.
The new left wing people's liberation government and all the rest of it, let it go.
I phoned the office of the former minister of government and he said "no, my legislation is dead - I don't know what the new ones are planning".
The name of our minister who wanted to pass this law was Adrianos.

1 minute ago, cosmicway said:

Some called it useless but I don't think it was useless and I supported the move.

So by that logic, presumably,  you can see how Suttons keeper a squad member, doing something in match time to ensure five figure sums are paid out to his mates, is the thin end of the wedge.

There are three types of fixes in football:

a -  Bettors who try to cheat bookies.
b -  Bookies who try to cheat bettors.
c -  Unrelated to betting (championship-relegation issues).

One of the biggest alleged fixes of history had nothing to do with betting.
I 'm talking about the 1961 European champions cup final between Benfica and Barcelona (Benfica won 3-2 in Geneva).
I 'm saying "alleged" because we don't really know if the Barcelonistas were right or wrong in accusing their team of throwing the match, but according to the rumours the Portuguese paid money to get the trophy.

It would seem that nowadays the authorities care only about possibility (a) and not (b) and (c).

13 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

So by that logic, presumably,  you can see how Suttons keeper a squad member, doing something in match time to ensure five figure sums are paid out to his mates, is the thin end of the wedge.

We don't know who won those bets.
The Sutton story still does n't make sense.
It takes two to tango.
Why the bookies offered the bet ?
Why were they accepting big amounts (so the winnings became five figure sums ?).
Why did n't they go to the stadium cantine and buy all the pies ?
Under what conditions would they consider the outcome of the event fair ?

Just now, cosmicway said:

We don't know who won those bets

We do it was colleagues and fans

Why the bookies offered the bet

Publicity. Its all over t5he media not just here.

2 minutes ago, cosmicway said:

Under what conditions would they consider the outcome of the event fair ?

One where the protagonist cannot influence the outcome

5 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

We do it was colleagues and fans

Publicity. Its all over t5he media not just here.

One where the protagonist cannot influence the outcome

Publicity ... Ok.
Everything is publicity in bookie street.
But the bookies always check the probabilities.

I 'm rubbishing it really.
Because the bookies took their chances and lost. They also trusted the man's impartiality I presume.
And what if he did not eat any pie or -indeed- could not find ?
Then all the bettors were going to lose and we should be happy ?

Because the bookies took their chances and lost.

Not really, when its headline news everywhere -how much would thy have to pay for that kind of advertising ??

3 minutes ago, cosmicway said:

And what if he did not eat any pie or -indeed- could not find ?

It was a gamble by Sunbets that he would, plus he wouldn't want to let his mates down that did bet on it.

You said the gambling laws were reversed in Greece, I am sorry but I don't want to see matches thrown here and the Premiership or competitions ruined, and this is the thin end of the wedge, so right decision in my book.

To be honest, I am sick of hearing about the fat cunt. I am done on this thread