FIFA World Cup expanded to 48 teams

kmk108

World Cup: Fifa to expand competition to 48 teams after vote

I get wanting to expand a little, but expanding by 16 teams!? That is a huge jump, adding an entire 50% to the field.

Qualifying stages won't really matter if you're not a Malta or some country like that. There will be some really bad games as well.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty happy with this from a patriotic point of view, this means if we win the Oceania Cup we qualify automatically which gives us a good chance to participate in the finals. Currently we need to win the Oceania cup and then win against the 6th placed South American side to qualify. 

From an overall competition point of view, I think the quality of the comp will certainly diminish. As per the above, the winner of the Oceania Cup, none of whom play profressionally, will qualify.

I think it's a good idea. It might not work but things need to be shaken up. World Cups and Euro Cups are boring as fuck, FIFA and UEFA need to come up with ideas. If this 48 teans WC doesnt work out then something else.

3 hours ago, nyikolajevics said:

I think it's a good idea. It might not work but things need to be shaken up. World Cups and Euro Cups are boring as fuck, FIFA and UEFA need to come up with ideas. If this 48 teans WC doesnt work out then something else.

Actually adding more team making it more boring because the quality of football will diminish just watch last year euro. Yes if you are portugal,wales, iceland good for you. But as neutral fan like me, it was so damn boring. Most teams played without any clear direction how to attack, basically cagey football all tournament long

9 hours ago, Kezza said:

Pretty happy with this from a patriotic point of view, this means if we win the Oceania Cup we qualify automatically which gives us a good chance to participate in the finals. Currently we need to win the Oceania cup and then win against the 6th placed South American side to qualify. 

From an overall competition point of view, I think the quality of the comp will certainly diminish. As per the above, the winner of the Oceania Cup, none of whom play profressionally, will qualify.

In term patriotic point of view, it is good for everybody, now more team have chances to play in WC but in term of the quality of football point of view, hopefully it will not be like last year Euro, It was so boring

4 hours ago, communicate said:

In term patriotic point of view, it is good for everybody, now more team have chances to play in WC but in term of the quality of football point of view, hopefully it will not be like last year Euro, It was so boring

There is gonna be some terrible football..woo can't wait for Scotland vs Uzbekistan 

17 hours ago, communicate said:

Actually adding more team making it more boring because the quality of football will diminish just watch last year euro. Yes if you are portugal,wales, iceland good for you. But as neutral fan like me, it was so damn boring. Most teams played without any clear direction how to attack, basically cagey football all tournament long

Well yeah, it's possible. But what if gets better? At least FIFA is trying to shake things up.

12 hours ago, nyikolajevics said:

Well yeah, it's possible. But what if gets better? At least FIFA is trying to shake things up.

Last WC was fine imo, plenty of goals in group stage, some interesting games, maybe the referee can be better (brazil vs colombia come to mind). Last Euro on the other hand was horrible,

We have been spoiled by UCL and EPL, there is no chance that WC/EUR will be able to match them. Players simply don't have enough time to play together in order for them to be good especially offensively and because of the knockout format teams tend to play very cagey. 

The new format has nothing to do with trying to spice the WC, it is all about money. More games mean more revenue, it is a simple as that. If they can make it 64 without really pissing off a lot of teams, they will do it.

Its all about the money -with China in mind in particular. More countries means more broadcasting revenue increasing by a few billion

It also guarantees Infantinos re election in 2019, with all the smaller countries voting for him.

With host countries needing 48 top class training facilities I expect the 2026 WC more than likely  to be in the US

10 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Its all about the money -with China in mind in particular. More countries means more broadcasting revenue increasing by a few billion

It also guarantees Infantinos re election in 2019, with all the smaller countries voting for him.

With host countries needing 48 top class training facilities I expect the 2026 WC more than likely  to be in the US

Absolute spot on, politic and money, those are the two reasons. It is FIFA afterall