Fernando Llorente

Captain Ahmed

Really? You'd be happy with a 32 year old striker signing a one/two year deal?
Are my expectations of the players I want at the club that much higher than everyone elses?

Perhaps your expectations for bench players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Dingus said:

Are my expectations of the players I want at the club that much higher than everyone elses?

Not sure why people are against signing Llorente. He isn't going to come in and be our first choice striker. He here's to provide backup to Morata and Batshuayi and more importantly, he gives us a Plan B. He'll do what Eto'o & Ba and Drogba did for us in the 2013/14 and 2014/15 seasons respectively.

5 minutes ago, volfan89 said:

Perhaps your expectations for bench players

I don't want players signing just be on the bench though! Why does everyone else want this?!!!

I want players that are going to improve the squad as a whole. This, along with the Drinkwater fiasco are not examples of us wanting to improve the squad. They will be bought just to make up numbers and that is the wrong way to go about it.

2 minutes ago, Dingus said:

I don't want players signing just be on the bench though! Why does everyone else want this?!!!

I want players that are going to improve the squad as a whole. This, along with the Drinkwater fiasco are not examples of us wanting to improve the squad. They will be bought just to make up numbers and that is the wrong way to go about it.

Llorente will improve our squad, Drinkwater too. 

There's a thing called squad depth and it's a necessity to win the league. We need players that can come on in the dirty minutes late in the game and make an impact. What, do you expect belotti to come in here and ride the pine behind Morata? Do you expect Morata to be content with getting about 50% of the matches? You can't have 19 world class players on a squad. Just doesn't work that way.

21 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

Everton need a striker and I wouldn't be surprised to see him go the other with on loan and we get Barkley.

Having only 2 strikers with 4 competitions to play in is utterly suicidal.

2 minutes ago, volfan89 said:

There's a thing called squad depth and it's a necessity to win the league. We need players that can come on in the dirty minutes late in the game and make an impact. What, do you expect belotti to come in here and ride the pine behind Morata? Do you expect Morata to be content with getting about 50% of the matches? You can't have 19 world class players on a squad. Just doesn't work that way.

I expect competition for places. Everyone has now been conditioned to think it's all about a first XI and the rest can just sit there.

Morata has said that he's all about the team and has proven that while at Juve and Madrid so if we were to get a player of similar quality (like a Belotti) at the club then I'd be all for it. Could even play a 3-5-2 with them both.

We only have one true world class player at our club and that is Hazard. So any improvement on that front would be fantastic.

6 minutes ago, ChelseaFanUK said:

This.

Llorente in. > Bats to Everton on loan > Barkley here

3 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

Thing is, we do suicidal Jase, as we type suicidal is happening.

Can't we just give Remy to Everton? He's still here FGS!

37 minutes ago, Dingus said:

What has 32 got to do with it when Drogba and Lampard were winning us the Champions League in their mid 30's? Yes he won't be around for the next 5 years but it's not a lot of money for a proven top level striker that will improve our squad.

He scored 15 goals last season playing for a side who barely stayed up. Add to that his experience at the top level in Europe, already being known to Conte, the signing makes sense.

At the current stage he is an upgrade on Batshuayi and I'd much rather rely on Llorente if Morata got injured.

I understand your expectations but we will not attract top bracket players to come and sit on our bench. People may not be happy with it, but players like Llorente and Drinkwater who are Premier league proven and experienced enough to come in when others are unavailable or be trusted to come on for the last 10-15 minutes to see a game out makes complete sense.

1 minute ago, Superblue_1986 said:

What has 32 got to do with it when Drogba and Lampard were winning us the Champions League in their mid 30's? Yes he won't be around for the next 5 years but it's not a lot of money for a proven top level striker that will improve our squad.

He scored 15 goals last season playing for a side who barely stayed up. Add to that his experience at the top level in Europe, already being known to Conte, the signing makes sense.

At the current stage he is an upgrade on Batshuayi and I'd much rather rely on Llorente if Morata got injured.

I understand your expectations but we will not attract top bracket players to come and sit on our bench. People may not be happy with it, but players like Llorente and Drinkwater who are Premier league proven and experienced enough to come in when others are unavailable or be trusted to come on for the last 10-15 minutes to see a game out makes complete sense.

How long had Drogba and Lampard been at the club before winning the Champions League though?

I wouldn't expect top bracket players to sit on the bench either. I'd expect them to work hard during training to compete for a place in the starting 11 though.

That doesn't mean that we have to buy sub par/inferior talent. The moment we do that, we become like Arsenal.

4 minutes ago, Dingus said:

How long had Drogba and Lampard been at the club before winning the Champions League though?

I wouldn't expect top bracket players to sit on the bench either. I'd expect them to work hard during training to compete for a place in the starting 11 though.

That doesn't mean that we have to buy sub par/inferior talent. The moment we do that, we become like Arsenal.

In the case of Llorente though who else in the Premier League has backup strikers that are top level?

The only ones you could argue are United and City but their cases are different - United have Rashford who is still very young and come through their academy so will be more willing to be rotated and City brought Jesus young and unproven in Europe so again a similar situation. I can guarantee that if City start playing Jesus over Aguero then Aguero will soon kick up a fuss.

The only way you could get around it if you had a hybrid player that is capable of filling in both as the main striker or in behind, Sanchez for example. 

In the case of Drinkwater, we are talking 4th choice centre midfielder. We won't find anyone available better than Kante for the job he does and we've clearly brought Bakayoko to become a main player for the club (that was already our buy to improve the first team). Fabregas offers a different option and is one of the most creative deep midfielders in the league. So again it's finding someone who is well experienced in the league to come in when needed. 

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You