Dries Mertens

Atholy

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

Mertens can play as a wide forward too, no? Not that we will sign him anyway.

Yeah, Mertens just seems like really poor value for the 50m that's being stated. Having multiple 32 year old forwards is a no-go for our club. If we sign another attacking player it has to be someone young with loss of potential to still realize.

• 4 months later...

Lots of links to him I read right now with him saying hes open to getting back together with Sarri,

After the Victimpool game the scousers hate him. 1 good reaon to sign him.

One of many reports plus Jims got one in articles.

Maurizio Sarri eyes reunion with 203-goal ace to bolster Chelsea attacking options

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2018/12/14/maurizio-sarri-eyes-reunion-with-203-goal-ace-to-bolster-chelsea-attacking-options/

4 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

Lots of links to him I read right now with him saying hes open to getting back together with Sarri,

After the Victimpool game the scousers hate him. 1 good reaon to sign him.

One of many reports plus Jims got one in articles.

Maurizio Sarri eyes reunion with 203-goal ace to bolster Chelsea attacking options

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2018/12/14/maurizio-sarri-eyes-reunion-with-203-goal-ace-to-bolster-chelsea-attacking-options/

I do not understand how we are linked to 30yo plus players like Mertens, Cavani, Higuain, Edin Dzeko, Bonucci etc, when we do not give multiyear contracts to players in their 30's.Would all of those agree to just a one year contract?

3 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I do not understand how we are linked to 30yo plus players like Mertens, Cavani, Higuain, Edin Dzeko, Bonucci etc, when we do not give multiyear contracts to players in their 30's.Would all of those agree to just a one year contract?

Astounds me. But I know I'd rather have a guy who can find the goal without a GPS no matter how old he was.

Just now, Unionjack said:

Astounds me. But I know I'd rather have a guy who can find the goal without a GPS no matter how old he was.

Cavani has been my 'old boy' pick for striker for last 2 years. He is still world class. Barca, Real, Juve, etc all are supposedly sniffing around him as well, Lots of competition.

Anthony Modeste is now involved is a bad legal dispute with Tianjin Quanjian and his old club, Köln. He bailed on the Chinese team in August and now has re-signed on a free at Köln (who were relgated without him last year). Tianjin Quanjian looks like they (until they win in court, if they do) got fucked out of £31m transfer fee. What a mess. He is only 30 and I know could be a beast in the EPL.

25 Bundesliga goals in 34 games in 2016-17 (34 goals in 45 games overall in 2016-17)

https://www.goal.com/en/news/modeste-facing-legal-fight-over-cologne-contract-dispute/19m6znxe1qhu81nvn4sg5y77ow

Surely we could use some leverage ie. offer to pay off (and thus settle the case) Tianjin Quanjian a portion of the money they spent and therefore get him here on the cheap. Köln should get nothing as it really looks like they fucked the Chinese over.

That's one for the lawyers to sort.

I wouldn't say Cavani is world class, he was at one point in his career but now not. The thing Cavani is, is an old school striker, he's a grafter, he's incredibly motivated and most of all he's mentally tough.

I'd take him now because it's really a sorry state we are in, nobody, and I mean nobody could be worse than what we have.

I'd love Cavani here even if it was till we ran him into the ground and didn't have any resale value on him,

Yeah I know its a diff league but like mentioned hes a old school battler and what we meed.  With 21 goals this season its gotta be worth a gamble

Tho I'd still give my left dangley for Icardi

• 1 year later...
On 18-12-2016 at 11:53 PM, Atholy said:

Started his topic in October 2011 but it is locked now :)

Back then he was a steal... now you will pay a good amount of cash for him. Just scored 4 goals in his today game against Torino. That makes 7 goals in 2 games & back to back hattricks in the Serie A.

He's a perfect false 9 and has a very good link up with Eden! Am I the only one that would still go for him?

I read a lot of comments that he's too old now. Don't blame me :). Been telling this since 2011 I just saw in this post above :p! 

On Topic: 'old' but surely worth the money! I would still GO for it! 

• 2 months later...

Is he still linked with us atm?

Its uncertain he will get the almost signed new contract worth €2m on signing and €4,5m a year. Due to coronavirus Napoli has to keep an eye on theire expenses.

22 hours ago, Hamilton said:

Is he still linked with us atm?

Its uncertain he will get the almost signed new contract worth €2m on signing and €4,5m a year. Due to coronavirus Napoli has to keep an eye on theire expenses.

I think he is the option for the club but not priority ofc.

We need another winger for sure. Pulisic, CHO, Ziyach. Pedro and Willian are off...

We need to see what is going to happen with Jadon.

Are we going to activate buy back on Boga?

After all of that he can be an option. For free transfer and can play as a striker.

On 12/04/2020 at 3:36 PM, NikkiCFC said:

I think he is the option for the club but not priority ofc.

We need another winger for sure. Pulisic, CHO, Ziyach. Pedro and Willian are off...

We need to see what is going to happen with Jadon.

Are we going to activate buy back on Boga?

After all of that he can be an option. For free transfer and can play as a striker.

If the Covid situation means not much money/players not moving then I think Boga and Mertens make sense. In a world were we can go big then I doubt both or either come. 

13 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Chelsea Beat Man Utd & Arsenal To Signing Napoli’s Dries Mertens As Inter Look Elsewhere

https://sempreinter.com/2020/04/18/chelsea-are-the-closest-club-to-signing-dries-mertens-as-inter-look-elsewhere/

Surely will be a 2 or 3 year contract? No way hes coming here ahead of all those clubs for 1 season, not a chance in hell... would say though good wee signing on a free. 

5 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Surely will be a 2 or 3 year contract? No way hes coming here ahead of all those clubs for 1 season, not a chance in hell... would say though good wee signing on a free. 

Yeah probably. If he can give us what Pedro gave us in 16/17 season and last season it would be great!

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You