Dries Mertens

Atholy

30 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

If true regarding his release clause, that would be a phenomenal signing for the money and give us two genuinely good strikers to share the burden. If he's available for £25m though I would imagine quite a few teams in for him.

But this is part of the reason why I'd rather us not think short term in this window and buy stop gaps. Barkley is a very good piece of business in my opinion and anyone else who could be purchased at knock down fees (Sanchez?) or represent great value despite in January, but beyond this I'd rather us 'make do' and do our main business in the summer.

Problem is tho I dont like them neither but we need stop gaps right now.

• 5 months later...

I thought we should give this thread an upgrade as it SEEMs Sarri likes the idea of him joining us

Maurizio Sarri wants Dries Mertens at Chelsea but Antonio Conte failed twice to convince club to sign him

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/06/19/maurizio-sarri-hoping-first-succeed-chelsea-manager-antonio/

5b29b0ef2197e_Screenshot-2018-6-20DriesMertensFootballStatisticsWhoScoredcom.thumb.png.671d331626e45dcf85683f7fb588e3fe.png

The six stages of Dries Mertens’ evolution from winger to world beater

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/the-six-stages-of-dries-mertens-transformation-from-winger-to-world-beater/

37 minutes ago, manpe said:

Just get Sarri and stay away from Napoli, waste of time.

Whenever we get a new manager we expect a line of his old players as his entourage but it never happens.

But I think it might be a good start to at least try to let him have a couple as he must see a need for them.

But Martens age and our board aren't a good equation to start things off.

There is a gentleman agreement in place that if we get Sarri we cannot activate any release clauses.... so I doubt we're getting any Napoli players via release clauses, which means we aren't getting any because no way are we paying shitloads more for them. Plus I think we'll see a totally different Pedro if Sarri comes in, I know Pedro isn't an outstanding footballer by any means but in a team with a style similar to Napoli, I can see him being a different player completely. Although we still need attacking improvements, not saying we don't by any means. 

13 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

There is a gentleman agreement in place that if we get Sarri we cannot activate any release clauses.... so I doubt we're getting any Napoli players via release clauses, which means we aren't getting any because no way are we paying shitloads more for them. Plus I think we'll see a totally different Pedro if Sarri comes in, I know Pedro isn't an outstanding footballer by any means but in a team with a style similar to Napoli, I can see him being a different player completely. Although we still need attacking improvements, not saying we don't by any means. 

Leave this dude and go for Nabil Fekir...Malcom and Bailey ain't bad either... just have high hope Fekir

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

Yeah agree about Pedro. He really needs a strong system. Regarding the RW position i'd say we need a more direct (both on and off the ball) player on that position.

Looking at Napoli under Sarri their left side plays very different from their right side. Insigne constantly moves inside the half spaces while Ghoulam provides the width and attacks the space in the wide area and Hamsik will link up with Insigne and make a lot of forward runs. 

On the other side it's different. Hysay doesn't push forward as much, Allan doesn't make many forward runs either that means that Callejon has to keep the width more and is mainly responsible for making those forward runs in behind. 

While it's not certain we'll set up the same way, looking at our best players Hazard, Kante, Azpi. They would fit the roles of Insigne, Allan, Hysay perfectly so it would make sense to set up in a similar fashion.

16 hours ago, Belgiannutt said:

Yeah agree about Pedro. He really needs a strong system. Regarding the RW position i'd say we need a more direct (both on and off the ball) player on that position.

Looking at Napoli under Sarri their left side plays very different from their right side. Insigne constantly moves inside the half spaces while Ghoulam provides the width and attacks the space in the wide area and Hamsik will link up with Insigne and make a lot of forward runs. 

On the other side it's different. Hysay doesn't push forward as much, Allan doesn't make many forward runs either that means that Callejon has to keep the width more and is mainly responsible for making those forward runs in behind. 

While it's not certain we'll set up the same way, looking at our best players Hazard, Kante, Azpi. They would fit the roles of Insigne, Allan, Hysay perfectly so it would make sense to set up in a similar fashion.

That has helped me understand some of Sarris style  clearer than watching countless YTs.

Cheers chap!  a08e600a9288fe7f594863c43cec6c07.gif

• 1 month later...

We wouldn't sign Higuain due to his age but would then sign Mertens who I believe is older? After Giroud confirmed he's staying and reports of Batshuayi playing a part under Sarri, I highly doubt we're after another forward now.

27 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I thought we had a clause with Napoli to prevent us buying their players?

Yeah..pretty sure De Laurentiis mentioned it and I wouldn't believe that Mertens rumor one bit since it came from a French source. 

12 minutes ago, Pizy said:

We wouldn't sign Higuain due to his age but would then sign Mertens who I believe is older? After Giroud confirmed he's staying and reports of Batshuayi playing a part under Sarri, I highly doubt we're after another forward now.

Mertens can play as a wide forward too, no? Not that we will sign him anyway.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You