• Fabregas (sub)
    • Ivanovic (sub)
    • Batshuayi (sub)

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

Fabregas coming on changed the game. They had us pinned back for a good 10 minutes and we couldn't hold the ball for longer than a single pass. He came on and was excellent.

Our goal was really not troubled for the entire 90 minutes. 

Very confident in Bats and whoever comes in for Kante next week.

The Matic / Kante midfield tandem is looking less impressive by the day. The technique of some of our players and our inability to dictate the tempo of games is shocking in comparison to other European sides. I watched the Dortmund vs Hoffenheim game the other day and both teams were miles ahead of us in possession. No reason why trash like Palace should be dominating us. 

I admit I severly overestimated the ability of Matic. If you only have a dozen good games in you a season, you're not a very good player.

We're on an incredible run now but i'm starting to get concerned about some of our recent performances. I don't think it's sustainable. The quality of our play has gone down considerably since the international break. I'll like to see Conte give Fabregas a chance, even after the Bournemouth game. 

Alonso, Matic, Kante, Costa. We seriously lack some technical quality in this side (in comparison to many other top European sides) and our wins are becoming more of a war of attrition than us actually playing well. Maybe the run is playing on the players' minds and they're just doing whatever it takes to get a result. Maybe some dropped points somewhere will wake us up. Not that I wish for that but we aren't playing well in my opinion. 

This was a superb win today against a dogged Palace side. Costa doesn't get a sniff for most of the game but one chance and one  goal. Fucking awesome !!!!!!! Benteke was in Dave's pocket all day long and Townsend should be playing American Football as a kicker!!!

I have to say I am bloody loving this under Conte. His touchline antics are infectious and he really has transformed our fortunes. And more importantly, his post match press conferences reflect more positively on our club. Too long have we been a top side and been hated and disrespected. He has not only turned the team fortunes around, but the club doesn't draw heat from his comments or actions, like Jose did. A truly inspired appointment in my opinion.Long may he reign and long may it continue.

6 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

Just popped out into the garden with a can of beer when all of a sudden the ball that Townsend took the free kick with came hurtling down and knocked the beer right out of my hand,

So  that's you house beside Gatwick Airport.....Nice :dance:

15 minutes ago, MrExcalibur100 said:

We're on an incredible run now but i'm starting to get concerned about some of our recent performances. I don't think it's sustainable. The quality of our play has gone down considerably since the international break. I'll like to see Conte give Fabregas a chance, even after the Bournemouth game. 

Alonso, Matic, Kante, Costa. We seriously lack some technical quality in this side (in comparison to many other top European sides) and our wins are becoming more of a war of attrition than us actually playing well. Maybe the run is playing on the players' minds and they're just doing whatever it takes to get a result. Maybe some dropped points somewhere will wake us up. Not that I wish for that but we aren't playing well in my opinion. 

It's not that quality has gone down much but our opposition is more motivated. It's very hard in any sport to win 11 in a row so we should all be happy.

I don't think we're shaky at all. Indeed, it is a bit risky to always protect these 1-0 results, but to be honest, the opponents never seemed to be able to make a serious threat after we scored. Indeed, Sunderland were very close to score an equaliser, but that clearly came out of nowhere. Our points were almost never in danger after scoring against them, West Brom and Palace. The opponents do not create chances. That's why even one goal is enough. 

And let's face it, it's getting harder and harder to score too much against these small teams, as the managers try to block Hazard, Costa, Pedro, Willian and so on. They are fouled, they have almost always two men near them. It's hard to score too many goals under these circumstances, but we compensate by our almost flawless defending. I think being so precise defensively is way more harder than scoring a shitload of goals. Just look at what happened to Liverpool at Bournemouth. 

It's fantastic that we can achieve points week after week, because when we meet our main opponents, the big teams, they will be forced to come at us and they will expose themselves. 

1 minute ago, Igi26 said:

It's not that quality has gone down much but our opposition is more motivated. It's very hard in any sport to win 11 in a row so we should all be happy.

I'm not unhappy, but I can't say I'm deriving the same amount of joy from the matches, only the results and the bragging rights here in the UK. 

The quality has obviously gone down. Matic isn't playing anywhere near as well and we aren't moving the ball well. 

Just now, MrExcalibur100 said:

I'm not unhappy, but I can't say I'm deriving the same amount of joy from the matches, only the results and the bragging rights here in the UK. 

The quality has obviously gone down. Matic isn't playing anywhere near as well and we aren't moving the ball well. 

Opposition is closing passing lanes, defending with 10 guys, we created chances and could score two more. Every next game when we win, more pressure on our players. 

Just now, Cosmin said:

I don't think we're shaky at all. Indeed, it is a bit risky to always protect these 1-0 results, but to be honest, the opponents never seemed to be able to make a serious threat after we scored. Indeed, Sunderland were very close to score an equaliser, but that clearly came out of nowhere. Our points were almost never in danger after scoring against them, West Brom and Palace. The opponents do not create chances. That's why even one goal is enough. 

And let's face it, it's getting harder and harder to score too much against these small teams, as the managers try to block Hazard, Costa, Pedro, Willian and so on. They are fouled, they have almost always two men near them. It's hard to score too many goals under these circumstances, but we compensate by our almost flawless defending. I think being so precise defensively is way more harder than scoring a shitload of goals. Just look at what happened to Liverpool at Bournemouth. 

My belief is that it's gonna be easier for us to express ourselves against bigger teams. It's fantastic that we are achieve points week after week, because when we meet these big teams, they will be forced to come at us and they will expose themselves. 

I think we're becoming overly concerned with maintaining this winning streak and it's making us play less freely than we can. 

As for managers trying to block the players you mentioned. Wait, haven't smaller teams always played defensively against us? It's standard football. We had no problems with Everton and Leiciester. 

Why do you think we can express ourselves against bigger teams? Maybe a month ago, but not at the level we're playing at. City battered us and we couldn't express ourselves. Same with Spurs. 

Let's just admit we're not playing as well anymore. 

@MrExcalibur100 - I don't think that the quality went down. It is still there. It's just that the circumstances changed. We are not playing against machines, we are playing against humans. Humans who are able to adapt and to learn from others' mistakes. Also, our players get tired, they get injured, it's hard to be constantly fresh. Better times will come in terms of entertainment, but honestly, this is better than anyone ever expected from us this season. 

Everton never defended with 10 men. Leicester either. You don't seem to take into consideration the fatigue. We had plenty of entertainment and we will have some more, but for now it's essential to keep winning. Of course it's about mantaining the streak. Why wouldn't it be? 

1 minute ago, Igi26 said:

Opposition is closing passing lanes, defending with 10 guys, we created chances and could score two more. Every next game when we win, more pressure on our players. 

Standard. Always. Season after season. The lesser team plays very defensively, against the better, more expensively assembled team. What's the novelty here I'm missing? The reason it seems teams are "defending" better against us is because we aren't playing anywhere near as well since the international break. 

Just now, Cosmin said:

@MrExcalibur100 - I don't think that the quality went down. It is still there. It's just that the circumstances changed. We are not playing against machines, we are playing against humans. Humans who are able to adapt and to learn from others' mistakes. Also, our players get tired, they get injured, it's hard to be constantly fresh. Better times will come in terms of entertainment, but honestly, this is better than anyone ever expected from us this season. 

I agree. Don't think for a second this is a moan. It's only stating the obvious we aren't playing as well than say, a month ago.

I think Fabregas will eventually end up gaining a spot back in the first XI. The problem I see is we have no control of the midfield. Obviously Conte sees it to. Palace dominating us is kinda sad to watch. 

As our quality of performances has gone down a little bit, we still dominate games or aren't even in danger of conceding a goal or two.
Now we have to sit back and look what City and Arsenal do tomorrow. I think a draw would do us nicely, as we would be 8 points clear on both of them.