• Kante
    • Pedro
    • Hazard
    • Costa
    • Willian (sub)
    • Fabregas (sub)
    • Ivanovic (sub)

40 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Thank goodness for this post. It puts any criticism which is due for today's game where it belongs, not misguidedly on West Brom. For me, all the criticism of Tony Pulis in the two game threads is wide of the mark.

West Brom's manager did what he had to do and did it very well. His side executed their game plan and, had they played just a little better in possession, we could have been in big trouble today. Causing problems for the opponents is Pulis's job, not making we fans happy. He was beaten today but not by the opposing team pattern, nor  even by the opposing manager. He lost because of a brilliant piece of play by a centre forward at the top of his game.

Diego and Gaz apart, we were not great today but we got the job done. That will do for me. Just hoping to see Antonio and the team to their work for the rest of the month, and the squad builders do their work in January.

I remember having similar discussion with an Arsenal fan when Pulis was at Stoke, he didn't like the physical defensive football and i said he does what he can to have his side competing, its up to the big boys to "compete" with them.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was at the game and said we needed an early goal - didn't get it and thought we looked slow and lacklustre - I don't like the early Sunday games!!!

what a goal from Diego though - amazing! Simply amazing - from nothing. 

WBA did what we all expected and if Rondon could hit a cows arse with a banjo might have been in trouble. 

Luis had a shocker - but happy he's gotten it out of the way :) 

stamford bridge was a nice place to be again! KTBFFH 

"By introducing someone of Fabregas’ creative quality into a central role, West Brom were no longer able sit so deep and invite Chelsea onto them, while Azpilicueta and Alonso retreating into full-back roles created space in wide areas with Brunt and Phillips no longer charged with a man-marking task. It was here where Costa found joy as, for the first time in the match, he was able to exploit space behind a defence."

http://www.squawka.com/news/antonio-conte-twice-reshuffles-chelseas-line-up-to-thwart-the-premier-leagues-master-of-the-rearguard-mentality/849847

well i expected this kind of gritty performance and result to be honest, during the season you get games of this type home and away, Tony Puli's teams are really stubborn and hard to beat and usually Foster has a blinder against us, on another day we would have drawn the game or even worse, lost, so all in all massive 3 points for us and another clean sheet, the team dug in and got the result. Costa you are simply amazing, when the team needed a moment of brilliance you stepped up, you the man, sir i bow down to you, this is what its all about, Chelsea player trough and trough, he's having the season of his life so far, keep it up lad :) Cheers fellow members and KTBFFH

I don't mind bus parking - do what you have to do - but f***ing time wasting does my f***ing head in. Foster is an absolute c***. The way he was time wasting when he would kick the ball in compared to how rushed he was to bring the ball in when they went 1 down made my piss boil. F***ing hate that c***.

7 hours ago, Dazzy_Vance said:

I don't mind bus parking - do what you have to do - but f***ing time wasting does my f***ing head in. Foster is an absolute c***. The way he was time wasting when he would kick the ball in compared to how rushed he was to bring the ball in when they went 1 down made my piss boil. F***ing hate that c***.

Everybody, including us, does it.

I agree it's frustrating as heck, but then many of us would regard the slippy G match as one of our favourite Chelsea memories despite the fact that those were exactly the tactics we used that day.

I say again, Tony Pulis came up with the game plan most likely to work for his team, and his squad executed it well. Manager and players deserve due praise and I don't begrudge them it. 

4 hours ago, Dazzy_Vance said:

I actually admire Pulis (a little bit) - the guy leaves no stone unturned in his approach. Their plan was to stop us building any kind of rhythm and it nearly worked. 

West Brom cannot go toe to toe with us - so they adapted - the league doesn't lie and they have been pretty successful this season for a very average team. At the game - I was furious- but that's just emotion - after a sleep, I see it very differently- I just hope they do the same job against Arsenal, City and Spurs - but actually close the game out! 

To be Champions (who'd have thought that after last season) we need to face and beat everything thrown at us. Don't forget this is Contes first season and he's adapting better than Pep! Long may it continue! 

2 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I agree it's frustrating as heck, but then many of us would regard the slippy G match as one of our favourite Chelsea memories despite the fact that those were exactly the tactics we used that day.

I say again, Tony Pulis came up with the game plan most likely to work for his team, and his squad executed it well. Manager and players deserve due praise and I don't be grudge them it. 

Exactly- it's a tactic, like a formation or man marking - exploit the rules to the maximum for their gain... 

I say again, Tony Pulis came up with the game plan most likely to work for his team, and his squad executed it well. Manager and players deserve due praise and I don't be grudge them it. 

Yeah but how freaking amazing when such team is backtracking after they concede and try to play as quickly as possible after they wasted time whole match. It's wonderful feeling getting the revenge in the same game. By far the best moment in the game when Thibaut delayed goal kick when we were 1 nil up and they were losing their shit. Love it.

I know where you're coming from but I didn't rate the way we wasted time at Anfield.

That result would have hurt Pulis deeply, its the kind of result that could lead to a series of bad performances. They worked so hard and were undone in one instance where they normally deal with it.

The reason I feel this will hurt is because they executed a game plan they worked on and drove home all week, then they show up and its undone. It was a lot of work drilling a team for nothing in the end. Such an ugly display of football, hard to watch, next to nothing going forward... set up to just frustrate the hell out of us and in the end they get mugged off by COSTA.

When you play a back 6 you have to expect a point, they didn't and it will hurt.