Virgil Van Dijk

dkim2

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

city spent £92m on stones and mangala, and didnt get a single decent cb for that money. This would be horribly expensive, but im more worried about christensen than VVD not being good enough

While I understand why some people are against this transfer, I think it is great. 

We have lost Terry and Ivanovic going into this season. There are serious doubts when/if Zouma will reach his previous heights, and the level of Cahill is a topic of eternal debate. 
In other words, Azpilicueta and Luiz are the safest options we have as CB's (Christensen havent played for us regularly yet), and Cesar might see some playtime as RWB. 
For a team playing in four different competitions and wanting to compete in all of them, having two (potentially three) class CB's is just asking for trouble. Even with Christensen coming back, I really think we need to get a really good CB both for internal competition, but also for squad width. 

Is VVD worth £60m? There is no good answer to this as there are no "true" values to a player. They are worth as much as a club is willing to pay them. 
We did offer similar amounts for Bonucci and Koulibaly though, and a quick comparison on WhoScored shows that VVD was better than those two in almost every category (they were the superior passers). He is also the youngest, and is already established in the league. Honestly, barring any problems following his injury, I see it as a very intelligent purchase from Chelsea. He could be a world class CB for 7-8 seasons, and if Christensen does well they could pair up for the foreseeable future. 

Honestly, this window is looking impressive. The question whether we get our targets remain, but Lukaku, Bakayoko, Sandro and VVD would all be huge statement purchases. Also, it puts us in such a good position for future windows, being able to purchase fewer players but with better quality. I am not 100% about Lukaku, but I believe he can still develop under the right guidance. I would prefer a Lewandowski every day of the week, but I just dont see it as realistic. 

Lukaku/Bats
                             Hazard/?                     Pedro/Willian

Bakayoko/Matic   Kante/Fabregas
             Sandro/Alonso                                    Moses/Azpilicueta

VVD Luiz Christensen/Cahill

Courtois/Caballero

This the lineup based on what we basically know as a fact are our targets for this window. We have also heard reports about Mahrez. It is very, very strong and allows us to for example next summer go big on RWB, RW and possibly a Tolisso-type CM.  

Solid, modern, ball playing centre back, tall and athletic, maybe the reported amount a tad high for what we're used to, but frankly we can't penny pinch anymore for all the Rudigers and Cahills out there. It's a transfer window where transfer amounts should be of no interest for us the fans, thankfully there is a lot of money at the club coming from players sale, sponsorships etc.

We're coming of a title winning campaign and have a proven manager in charge. We can attract players and learn from the mistakes of the past (summer of 15/16).

At the same time I truly wish Conte would give Christensen a chance because had he not been Chelsea's player I bet we'd be quoted everyday with 40m+ bids for him. 

My ideal back line for next season would be Alex Sandro - van Dijk David Luiz Christensen - Azpilicueta. 

Three modern centre backs that are all comfortable with the ball at their feet and can build from the back and two quality full backs, one is some of the best left full backs in the world and another is probably the most consistent defender for the past seasons in England. Azpilicueta maybe not the best going forward, but he can work on that given his nature and attitude, to always work hard and improve. 

48 minutes ago, Rekin said:

While I understand why some people are against this transfer, I think it is great. 

We have lost Terry and Ivanovic going into this season. There are serious doubts when/if Zouma will reach his previous heights, and the level of Cahill is a topic of eternal debate. 
In other words, Azpilicueta and Luiz are the safest options we have as CB's (Christensen havent played for us regularly yet), and Cesar might see some playtime as RWB. 
For a team playing in four different competitions and wanting to compete in all of them, having two (potentially three) class CB's is just asking for trouble. Even with Christensen coming back, I really think we need to get a really good CB both for internal competition, but also for squad width. 

Is VVD worth £60m? There is no good answer to this as there are no "true" values to a player. They are worth as much as a club is willing to pay them. 
We did offer similar amounts for Bonucci and Koulibaly though, and a quick comparison on WhoScored shows that VVD was better than those two in almost every category (they were the superior passers). He is also the youngest, and is already established in the league. Honestly, barring any problems following his injury, I see it as a very intelligent purchase from Chelsea. He could be a world class CB for 7-8 seasons, and if Christensen does well they could pair up for the foreseeable future. 

Honestly, this window is looking impressive. The question whether we get our targets remain, but Lukaku, Bakayoko, Sandro and VVD would all be huge statement purchases. Also, it puts us in such a good position for future windows, being able to purchase fewer players but with better quality. I am not 100% about Lukaku, but I believe he can still develop under the right guidance. I would prefer a Lewandowski every day of the week, but I just dont see it as realistic. 

Lukaku/Bats
                             Hazard/?                     Pedro/Willian

Bakayoko/Matic   Kante/Fabregas
             Sandro/Alonso                                    Moses/Azpilicueta

VVD Luiz Christensen/Cahill

Courtois/Caballero

This the lineup based on what we basically know as a fact are our targets for this window. We have also heard reports about Mahrez. It is very, very strong and allows us to for example next summer go big on RWB, RW and possibly a Tolisso-type CM.  

Ive been against going after a CB all summer with our 3 young capable CB's we've already got. Judging by our reported interest in VVD/bonucci with a lack of interest in any RB i can only assume the plan is for Dave to get pushed to the right.

My Squad for next year:

Lukaku/Bats

Hazard/Willian                                  Pedro/*

Bakayoko/chalobah   Kante/Cesc

Sandro/Alonso                                         Moses/Dave

New CB/Ake  Luiz  Christensen/Cahill

Tibo/New backup GK

Costa to leave, possibly Matic, mostly average consistent performance with the odd magical goal but would like something else. 

Id like Baker and Musonda to chip into the squad too this season, with meaningful Prem loans for RLC and Zouma

* Id love a new top winger/ attacking player up there technically with Eden and Cesc (Sanchez, James, Isco)

On 10/06/2017 at 2:01 PM, BluesMadLad said:

Only in football there is a stupid rule that a manager can not talk to a player before hand its ridiculous if I was going to spend 50+ mill on a CB I'd want to have a bloody conversation with the guy as well 

The rule doesn't prevent managers doing that before completing the deal. It only prevents them doing it before they have the selling club's agreement.

Honestly, I love Bonucci he is my favourite defender in the world. But VVD is a physical monster, comfortable playing LCB, a goal threat, and much younger. He is good with the ball and comfortable in the prem(not a huge deal, but still counts) and most importantly he slides into a position on our team perfectly which we all agree needed upgrading.

The price is high, but that can be said about most transfers in todays game, plus its not my money so i am taking the Man United/Man City approach in that if the club wants to pay it doesn't affect me, ill just be happy seeing him on our team! (if he does indeed come)

I read somewhere that Conte wants 2 options per position, with VVD we solidify that LCB between he and Cahill. He also can play RCB if we need. I will be more than happy if we close the deal.

Eden Hazard is the big winner this summer, he went from Alonso/Matic/Cahill to possibly Sandro/Bakayoko/Van Dijk. That is an upgrade across the board and shows intent to go for serious trophies

2 minutes ago, Chelsea? said:

just find is so weird we are in for a LWB and not for a RWB. 

If we do not sign someone to compete with Moses than I have to believe Conte thinks Azpi can do the job when he needs and we play Cahill/Christensen/VVD for the 2 wide CB roles. Or maybe it just wasnt his highest priority? I think Moses/Azpi will be the RWB options for the next year personally. I think he is higher on Moses than most people on here.

12 minutes ago, akgw13 said:

If we do not sign someone to compete with Moses than I have to believe Conte thinks Azpi can do the job when he needs and we play Cahill/Christensen/VVD for the 2 wide CB roles. Or maybe it just wasnt his highest priority? I think Moses/Azpi will be the RWB options for the next year personally. I think he is higher on Moses than most people on here.

Back 4 is much more likely than Azpi playing as RWB.

Sandro——VVD———Luiz——Azpi.

14 minutes ago, akgw13 said:

I was thinking the same. Azpi would be a perfect RWB IMO. not as offensive as Moses but defensively he is better than Moses or alosno and offensively he is still as good as Marcos. We saw during the season that he is driving up his side from RCB anyway so he would not need much of a transition. Also a return to back 4 would be interesting as it would free another mitdfielder. 

2 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

I was thinking the same. Azpi would be a perfect RWB IMO. not as offensive as Moses but defensively he is better than Moses or alosno and offensively he is still as good as Marcos. We saw during the season that he is driving up his side from RCB anyway so he would not need much of a transition. Also a return to back 4 would be interesting as it would free another mitdfielder. 

He certainly would be better at crossing than Moses. In an ultra defensive lineup or against big squads he could solidify while we attack down the left and counter. Its just a thought as to why we might not be linked with a RWB

3 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

Back 4 is much more likely than Azpi playing as RWB.

Sandro——VVD———Luiz——Azpi.

I think they are equally as likely. Conte likes to be tactically flexible, Azpi/Sandro give him that flexibility. It will be interesting to see how he sets us up. Bakayoko is the key for the 424 if Conte does indeed want to play that, I think we will still see alot of 3 at the back be it 343 or 352. 

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You