• Hazard (sub)
    • Pedro (sub)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, milan.cech said:

Of course we had to play them when they started hitting form... I hate them with passion. There goes my hope of winning the cups.

Please Chelsea, make it a nice weekend at least.

I echo the same sentiment.

Although it was nice to see Conte experimenting with young players. It is sad that we lost. 

Sigh. Disappointing result. It was West Ham and wanted us to beat them and go all the way in the competition. Could and should have played the strongest team possible, especially when we aren't playing in Europe this season. On the other hand, can understand why Conte made so many changes and gave other players some game time - maybe he made one change too many! - but that led to a disjointed performance and arguably only Chalobah did well.

Can't believe I'm saying this but there's a bit of gap in quality going from Alonso and Moses to Aina and Azpi as WBs. Threat almost non-existent in the wide areas. A back of 3 of Cahill-Terry-Luiz looks extremely shaky compared to Azpi-Luiz-Cahill. Hoping Conte sticks with the latter for the upcoming matches, given it's been working well for us before today. And I guess after scoring 9 goals in our last 3 games, our profligacy has returned. It was a disjointed performance but we certainly created enough chances to win the game. Just no cutting edge. Now the pressure is back on and we have to win at Southampton!

We'll have to wait and see what effect (if any) this result has upon our future performance levels, but I though we were alright tonight. Terry doesn't look comfortable in a back three (surprise!), and both Oscar and Batshuayi played like men who know that they're probably not getting into the manager's ideal strarting 11 any time soon, whilst Willian, Costa, and Hazard all failed to take advantage of some (very) presentable openings, but other than that.... not too bad.

I liked a lot of what I saw from Chalobah when he was on the ball (although his off-the-ball work needs some serious improvement), and Aina showed flashes of promise, whilst Willian (despite some occasional sloppiness and a terrible miss) showed that the competition between him and Pedro is (hopefully) going to be quite fierce this season; these things can only benefit the squad.

Azpi IS probably a viable option as an auxilliary RWB, but I hope that we don't find ourselves having to deploy him threre too often, as he just doesn't provide what Moses does in that position when we're attacking, and he was surprisingly suspect defensively on more than a few occasions.

Luiz and Cahill were mostly solid throughout, whilst Kante and Begovic were probably our best players on the night.