Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

53 minutes ago, Stats said:

Couple weeks ago... all comments would have been that it is truly deserved. On the back of a bad game: "he is stealing a living".

Yes, he has his flaws but highly deserved and regardless of what people say, he has been a huge success here and Sarri rates him very highly.

Keep up the good work Alonso!

Sure, Alonso has been great over the last 2 years but does that really warrant a new contract, especially when his current one only expires in 2021? Does he really deserve one this fast with him looking nowhere near solid/good enough for Sarri's football? Alonso has his flaws but so does every player and Alonso's are pretty big - he's slow, he can't beat his man 1 v 1, defensively suspect and if he doesn't contribute goals, what really does he contribute to the team? I find it hard to believe that Sarri would want someone like Alonso in his starting XI to be playing his kind of football. If it was Pep, he would have sold Alonso straight away! All the other top sides have quick, mobile, agile full backs while we seem to be obsess with having slow ones! Also, it's easy to throw around the argument "the manager rates him, so he's good" but we all know managers have their favorites or will turn a blind eye towards certain players even if their flaws hinder the team. Remember Mourinho's love in with Ivanovic? And what if Sarri only plays Alonso because he doesn't rate Emerson, for whatever reason, and there's no other option?

55 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Jesus fucking christ.

We are so fucked.

Next will be the Willian and Luiz extensions. 

Can't wait to hear the status quo/settle crew comments full of praise on those.

My stance will be proven to be correct. That is not cockiness, that is not playa hating, it is reality. 

A non top 4 finish this year basically destroys the club on terms of WC footie for multiple years (Hazard will surely leave as well) unless we are sold to an owner who puts real football people in charge, not Sibneft mafia draw-downers.

Just shocked that more do not see this lipstick-on-a-pig modus operandi. 

Just to end on a positive, we're unbeaten this season,

so it aint all bad...

Marcos Alonso has signed a new contract at Chelsea that keeps him at Stamford Bridge until June 2023, sources have told ESPN FC.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/chelsea/story/3676700/marcos-alonso-signs-new-chelsea-deal-to-stay-at-club-through-2023-sources

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Sure, Alonso has been great over the last 2 years but does that really warrant a new contract, especially when his current one only expires in 2021? Does he really deserve one this fast with him looking nowhere near solid/good enough for Sarri's football? Alonso has his flaws but so does every player and Alonso's are pretty big - he's slow, he can't beat his man 1 v 1, defensively suspect and if he doesn't contribute goals, what really does he contribute to the team? I find it hard to believe that Sarri would want someone like Alonso in his starting XI to be playing his kind of football. If it was Pep, he would have sold Alonso straight away! All the other top sides have quick, mobile, agile full backs while we seem to be obsess with having slow ones! Also, it's easy to throw around the argument "the manager rates him, so he's good" but we all know managers have their favorites or will turn a blind eye towards certain players even if their flaws hinder the team. Remember Mourinho's love in with Ivanovic? And what if Sarri only plays Alonso because he doesn't rate Emerson, for whatever reason, and there's no other option?

We have a slow LB, however he is very intelligent and making forward runs. A huge bonus for any attacking manager, He gets opportunities virtually every match. Also Sarri already said few weeks ago that he believes Alonso is "maybe the best LB in Europe". He also said that if he improves the defensive aspect he could be the best LB in the world. That is obviously the words of a manager who rates him really highly. His attacking qualities are fine. He is slow as stated but is a constant menace for opposition teams when he goes forward. It is such a huge bonus if your FB is a threat going forward which Alonso is. TBH, I did not actually know his contract expired in 2021 before signing the new one but yeah, I just find it odd, the way fans have suddenly started slating him again, when for majority of this season, he has a solid season.

21 hours ago, manpe said:

Excels in the final 3rd is a gross exaggeration, he doesn't. Do you think he'd be clinical when he'd be specifically marked by several defenders and he doesn't have the luxury to be the odd man in the box coming from deep left?

Well ... right now I will surely take him over Morata for sure in the said position... My baseline is Morata and I'm sure he would be better than him in all the dept. 

And its obvious that it is not going to happen, it's frustration coming out. So relax, mate ... Let not get into deep analysis :)

11 hours ago, Jason said:

So well deserved lol especially after his performance against utd lol , next time you want a pay rise fall over in front of your boss and lie about for a while ,then get up and work mediocrely see how that goes lol , should be reduced wages on par with performances

Sarri needs to teach him how to defend then we will have a nigh on complete LB, until then he is still decent and that's that really.

If you want to watch quality LB's in terms of skill set and defending then go watch Alex Sandro from last night, absolute master class in both going forward and defending.

14 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Watching this Juve game, this Sandro fella would be an excellent replacement

Sandro showed how a top full back should defend, Cancelo showed how a top full back attacks when given ‘freedom’. To above post, even if Alonso sorted out his defending, he wouldn’t be complete. His attacking game will always be limited by his pace, crossing ability,  dribbling ability, he’s not especially creative or ingenious on the ball (with all this ‘freedom’ he gets I can’t even remember the last chance he created, never mind assist). 

If our club was smart they they would sell him now while his stock is high and replace him with actual quality, but unfortunately he’s here to stay. I think he’ll be here long term. *sigh*

14 hours ago, Vesper said:

Lolol (and crying, especially when adding in my other extreme Sarriball want fullback, RB Cancelo)

3 years plus of trying for Sandro, 3 years of Italian ass fucking to show for it.

Not even a box of chocolates for conciliation. 

Cancelo hurts as well because we were linked with him the summer we got Zappacosta. For a similar price (that he ended up moving to Inter for). Any amateur fan could’ve told you he’d be a better investment than Zappacosta. Alas, Juve now have two of the  best full backs in the world that we couldn’t got for combined, fee of 80-90m.

I’m a strong believer that in current football, the best teams have the best full backs, there’s a strong correlation. The Madrid’s, the City’s, Juve, Barcelona, Liverpool, they all have quality and athletic footballers at full back, the last 2-3 seasons (well City and Liverpool have only just got full backs on that level since summer 17). 

1 hour ago, ja1 said:

Cancelo hurts as well because we were linked with him the summer we got Zappacosta. For a similar price (that he ended up moving to Inter for). Any amateur fan could’ve told you he’d be a better investment than Zappacosta. Alas, Juve now have two of the  best full backs in the world that we couldn’t got for combined, fee of 80-90m.

I’m a strong believer that in current football, the best teams have the best full backs, there’s a strong correlation. The Madrid’s, the City’s, Juve, Barcelona, Liverpool, they all have quality and athletic footballers at full back, the last 2-3 seasons (well City and Liverpool have only just got full backs on that level since summer 17). 

Bayern as well, and arguably the best overall fullback in LB Alaba, and also the best RB in Kimmich (although Sergi Roberto might be his equal, but I would go with Kimmich). 

Bayern has a lot of other issues though, as they are rapidly ageing up front, their CB's (other than Süle) are crashing out, they have MF injuries, and Neuer is a shadow of his pre injury self.

Kovac is on the hot seat for sure.

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

Bayern as well, and arguably the best overall fullback in LB Alaba, and also the best RB in Kimmich (although Sergi Roberto might be his equal, but I would go with Kimmich). 

Bayern has a lot of other issues though, as they are rapidly ageing up front, their CB's (other than Süle) are crashing out, they have MF injuries, and Neuer is a shadow of his pre injury self.

Kovac is on the hot seat for sure.

Yes, Bayern another good example. It particularly shows in CL games over the last few seasons. The likes of Kimmich, Marcelo, dani Alves, Robertson and many more have been instrumental in teams getting to semi final/final in recent seasons.

1 hour ago, ja1 said:

Yes, Bayern another good example. It particularly shows in CL games over the last few seasons. The likes of Kimmich, Marcelo, dani Alves, Robertson and many more have been instrumental in teams getting to semi final/final in recent seasons.

Give me these 4 fullbacks over our current 4. (provided we get decent prices for our 4, I will say £135-150m for the lot. We have to sell to fund buys, its the way football works (even PSG and Shitty sell players)

We could get these 4 for £20-40m or so less than selling off the 4 we have now, they are far young but still experienced, superb athletes, all are 2-way creative fullbacks with speed to burn.

Or keep Azpi and Alonso and sell Emerson and Zappacosta, who have basically done fuckall since we bought both, (sorry Emerson fanboys), and just buy Firpo and Lazaro. Firpo would bench Alonso within a few games to half a season, and Lazaro would eventually replace Azpi within 2 to 3 year max (Azpi is 30 next season), maybe sooner. We could always move Azpi back to CB on double RB/CB rotation as well and avoid having to buy 2 CB's.(which we most definitely will have to do if deadwood Cahill is finally sold and then AC leaves)

Not joking.

If we want Alaba, Alex Sandro, Benjamin Mendy, Sergi Roberto type fullbacks but are not willing to dump £150m for just 2, then we have to buy extraordinarily talented young young (NOT teens per se) whilst there are still at the smaller clubs where they blew up at.

LB Junior Firpo of Real Betis  22yo <<<<<<< prime starter eventually

LB Ferland Mendy  of Lyon  23yo

RB Valentino Lazaro of Hertha  22yo     <<<<<<<prime starter eventually, I am going to do a write-up OP on him, best young Austrian player since Alaba and Marcel Sabitzer (I think he is better than Sabitzer, or soon will be) He was an AMF/RW, but now they switched him to RB, where he has been a revelation

RB Nordi Mukiele of RB Leipzig 21yo   .. OR...RB Aaron Wan-Bissaka of Crystal Palace  20yo (English too, and already one of fastest fullbacks on the planet)   

other good young fullbacks who would be really affordable (RB is stronger than LB's here)

LB Borna Sosa of Stuttgart    20yo

LB Marcelo Saracchi of Leipzig   20 yo

LB Aarón Martín of Mainz   21yo

RB Achraf Hakimi of Borussia Dortmund   19yo

RB Benjamin Henrichs now of Monaco (was on my favourite talent feeder team of the last 2 years, Bayer Leverkusen) 21yo

RB Denzel Dumfries of PSV Eindhoven  22yo

On 25/10/2018 at 1:27 AM, Vesper said:

Give me these 4 fullbacks over our current 4. (provided we get decent prices for our 4...

You not a fan of Tierney? I guess he’d cost a level above the types of targets you described. But if, failing to get a LB to start above Alonso (a Telles or Sandro level peak full back) a young full back trusted to challenge him (unlike Emerson though I’d love to see him get a run of games to see if he could get to Serie A form) like Tierney could be a decent compromise. 

You not a fan of Tierney? I guess he’d cost a level above the types of targets you described. But if, failing to get a LB to start above Alonso (a Telles or Sandro level peak full back) a young full back trusted to challenge him (unlike Emerson though I’d love to see him get a run of games to see if he could get to Serie A form) like Tierney could be a decent compromise. 
Helps with our HG quota as well

4 hours ago, ja1 said:

I rate all Firpo miles more than Tierney. Mendy too. That whole post was to point out young fullbacks who won't cost 70m plus quid.

Scottish league footie is a joke, so hard to splash the cash Celtic would demand. We could try a loan with option to buy (not obligation), and pay 50% above fair market 1 year loan price (so probably a couple million quid extra) as a sign of good faith.

Doubt Celtic would go for that though.

Firpo was imperious versus Milan last night. I think he would be aces here.

We are stuck with the turtle Alonso for years I fear, so all this is apparently meaningless.

Azpi also needs to step it up, he has been the biggest drop off from last year so far. You can't count Willian and Morata as they were already shit. Azpi was a top 5 RB. The best defensive RB on planet. This year, nowhere near that. His offensive input is underwhelming at best, and has strangely been off the mark on defence as well.

If you want to see a RB playing great football in high intensity pressing system, look at 19yo Achraf Hakimi of Dortmund. Unfortunately Real Madrid owns him, he is only on loan. They will never sell him unless we waived insane money at them.

5 hours ago, Vesper said:

I rate all Firpo miles more than Tierney. Mendy too. That whole post was to point out young fullbacks who won't cost 70m plus quid.

Scottish league footie is a joke, so hard to splash the cash Celtic would demand. We could try a loan with option to buy (not obligation), and pay 50% above fair market 1 year loan price (so probably a couple million quid extra) as a sign of good faith.

Doubt Celtic would go for that though.

Firpo was imperious versus Milan last night. I think he would be aces here.

We are stuck with the turtle Alonso for years I fear, so all this is apparently meaningless.

Azpi also needs to step it up, he has been the biggest drop off from last year so far. You can't count Willian and Morata as they were already shit. Azpi was a top 5 RB. The best defensive RB on planet. This year, nowhere near that. His offensive input is underwhelming at best, and has strangely been off the mark on defence as well.

If you want to see a RB playing great football in high intensity pressing system, look at 19yo Achraf Hakimi of Dortmund. Unfortunately Real Madrid owns him, he is only on loan. They will never sell him unless we waived insane money at them.

Tierney will eventually outgrow and be fwr too good for Celtic and in terms of British players at his age, he is one of the best out there and also very experienced considering he's played over 150 games for Celtic and Scotland combined, winning trophies left right and centre as well as being an influential figure in the dressing room (already captained Celtic multiple times and also Scotland at a young age). Only because he's Scottish and playing for Celtic is he seriously overlooked. If he was playing PL club's he'd have as much hype as Luke Shaw had at Southampton who was considered one of the best u23 LBs in europe if not the best at that time. Easily. Celtic if they ever sell Tierney will get 30m or 35m minimum I reckon bevause he's the real deal. The whole the Scottish Prem is a joke thing is a bit of a arrogant statement, particularly for somebody who I assume doesnt watch it or makes quick based assumptions, the standards maybe not as competitive but its at least at about championship level and even then with the money difference the gaps not as massive as people think, I watch both leagues quite often and wouldn't say playing championship is that much better. SPL clubs play young guys, sure the academies aren't as good as PL or other European leagues but there's always young players breaking through, club's like Huddersfield dont even have an academy and won't be the first or last PL team to do this in the future because they can throw money at young players. I think playing at a Celtic or Rangers every week infront of 50,000+ fans in a competitive environment is perfect for developing youngsters, managers like Rodgers, McInnes, Lennon and Gerrard having huge influences on young players. Just look at guys such as Fraser Forster, Virgil van Dijk, Victor Wanyama and Moussa Dembele have all moved from the Celtic in the last 10 years to club's and have very good careers (could argue if they were playing in Spain, Italy, Germany, Portugal they'd cost double as much at least of what they did from Celtic). Its not all due to the SPL but Id argue Van Dijk and Wanyama could have played for a top 6 team before they all moved from Southampton to Spurs/Pool no problem at all. Moussa Dembele will be a regular French NT player soon and move on from Lyon eventually although he'd easily be able to play for a slightly smaller PL club then get a big move not long after. Also for instance, Charly Musonda failed in Scotland because he wasn't good enough when he did play in this so called "joke league" 6 months after people thought he should be playing in our first team under Conte. Even in the academies big teams are signing lots of hugely talented Scottish players with out fail every season, many who go on to never play and waste their careers. So the Scottish standard can't be that bad. The money is the only thing that holds it back, if the SPL was getting how ever many millions the PL get it would be the same lots of smaller club's spending big money. It's always the same though, European players are considered more appealing options to club's because they can buy ready made players instead of using youth. For me, the Bundesliga is the best league in the world in that regard because its the only one where every team has an incentive to grow their own players and also be competitive hence why Germany were so successful. British football has had the arse torn out of it with money. Million pound academies and nobody in the top 4 is bringing young players through regularly.