test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Spike

3. Marcos Alonso

Started by Spike,

1,457 posts in this topic
11 hours ago, ja1 said:

He created two decent chances at the end, as did Azpilicueta over the course of a match. It wasn’t really a good performance, barely average really. Lost his man for second goal + lost an easy bouncing ball in run up to free kick for second goal, did little defensively with Tomori covering him, needless yellow. Not really much to gas about..for the amount of times he and Azpi had the ball in space they should be doing much better.

Yeah I wouldn’t describe it as a great performance, but frank, kante, pundits and even Klop mentioned how dangerous Alonso was during the game. ;) 

I also wouldn’t describe a perfect cross for a free header and then an assist as “decent” chances created, but I know you are not a fan. :) 

hard to put in on him the second, when we are asking the manager to switch to man marking, esp when you say that he lost “his man.” He was asleep along with the rest of the team tho. First goal has nothing to do with him - different moments/areas of the pitch with the cms not stopping the runner.

plus you are conveniently forgetting the dangerous free kicks.

Guy gets so much hate around here. Tomori is and should be covering for him.. that’s his job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Robchels said:

Yeah I wouldn’t describe it as a great performance, but frank, kante, pundits and even Klop mentioned how dangerous Alonso was during the game. ;) 

I also wouldn’t describe a perfect cross for a free header and then an assist as “decent” chances created, but I know you are not a fan. :) 

hard to put in on him the second, when we are asking the manager to switch to man marking, esp when you say that he lost “his man.” He was asleep along with the rest of the team tho. First goal has nothing to do with him - different moments/areas of the pitch with the cms not stopping the runner.

plus you are conveniently forgetting the dangerous free kicks.

Guy gets so much hate around here. Tomori is and should be covering for him.. that’s his job. 

The rest of the team was not asleep. Andreas was marking wjinaldum, and alonso was totally unaware of firmino and /or the gap between him and andreas. It was a pathetic display of defence from him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 1905didierblue said:

The rest of the team was not asleep. Andreas was marking wjinaldum, and alonso was totally unaware of firmino and /or the gap between him and andreas. It was a pathetic display of defence from him.

Fair enough. I partially agree, so moving on.

he’s poor in defense, hence why he does a lot better as a wb and why Emerson is the better lb.

I just thought ignoring his obvious contributions in attack was unfair.

killer1257 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Robchels said:

Fair enough. I partially agree, so moving on.

he’s poor in defense, hence why he does a lot better as a wb and why Emerson is the better lb.

I just thought ignoring his obvious contributions in attack was unfair.

I agree I was harsh on those chances he made in their description. They were v good chances he made. I still standby my overall point that, in essence, it was just an average game at best. For reference (to show it’s not just Alonso I’m singling out but also because he had a similar game yet no one would describe his game as good). Azpilicueta also made two (even three, can’t remember) good chances and scored a marginally offside goal. Still for the amount of times both full backs had the ball, in space, it wasn’t good enough. 

 

I think we’re roughly on the same page though. I also get you rate performances kind of differently to me (I may be wrong but it seems key moments such as a goal/assist/good chance can make/break how you rate a performance, for me it’s very much everything over 90 min).

Bosnian Blue likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ja1 said:

I agree I was harsh on those chances he made in their description. They were v good chances he made. I still standby my overall point that, in essence, it was just an average game at best. For reference (to show it’s not just Alonso I’m singling out but also because he had a similar game yet no one would describe his game as good). Azpilicueta also made two (even three, can’t remember) good chances and scored a marginally offside goal. Still for the amount of times both full backs had the ball, in space, it wasn’t good enough. 

 

I think we’re roughly on the same page though. I also get you rate performances kind of differently to me (I may be wrong but it seems key moments such as a goal/assist/good chance can make/break how you rate a performance, for me it’s very much everything over 90 min).

Yeah fair enough. Think the chances Alonso created were a lot better than what azpi did, and I have no problem with azpi btw - solid defensive RB. A better fb than Alonso is.

alonso spaces and the number of chances was all strategy. Noticed that during the match as all the passing was very much towards him and with urgency. the post match interviews corroborated that.

i honestly don’t think we will ever create more open chances against a team like Liverpool. So if we don’t convert them, that will make winning very very hard.

your point of poor defending is true. On the other hand, we seem to concede the same type of goals regardless who plays and that to me is mostly on frank.

btw that free kick was very close, which makes reacting to it very difficult. Think positioning was more important, and that was not done well at all. Regardless., rather we don’t foul players too often in that position... everybody struggles to defend set pieces from that range.

ja1 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he's good to have as a super sub. 

Starting 11 not good enough. 

But as a sub he would be awesome and especially if we had Carlo who loved to always used a sub as a lb/rb....

Giving the amount of space a lb/rb gets at the end of the game it will be a good idea to utilize. 

 

petre.ispirescu likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

Also thought he was absolutely poor. His positioning was weird, his crosses abysmal and his lack of pace just makes it impossible for CHO to link up with him or for balls to be played into space for him.

Nonetheless his goal today was vital and expertly struck. I do not buy this "When the goalie gets a hand to it he can save it" Dubravaka had an excellent match but that shot was so vicious very few keepers would have kept that out.

I agree on both points:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely useless once more. He offers nothing in attack, misplaced easy passes and even though was soft dafuq can such an experienced player be so stupid to make a challenge from behind in his own box. That foul was even more silly than the pen Zouma conceded. Emerson clearly was not fit otherwise Lamptey and Azpi would not have been on the bench. Alonso rode his luck that this is the first match he has cost us this season so some might have forgotten how shit he is. It is time he gets benched again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

Absolutely useless once more. He offers nothing in attack, misplaced easy passes and even though was soft dafuq can such an experienced player be so stupid to make a challenge from behind in his own box. That foul was even more silly than the pen Zouma conceded. Emerson clearly was not fit otherwise Lamptey and Azpi would not have been on the bench. Alonso rode his luck that this is the first match he has cost us this season so some might have forgotten how shit he is. It is time he gets benched again. 

Let's be honest. He is not the fastest, but to say he offers nothing in attack is not true. He contributes goals a quite a bit for a LB/LWB. He just isn't your typical pacey fullback. Defensively he gets caught out because he is not fast, but I can guarantee you he will contribute with goals. I don't think there is another fullback with better goalscoring stats than him. But, yeah he was poor tonight.

communicate and Johnnyeye like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Stats said:

Let's be honest. He is not the fastest, but to say he offers nothing in attack is not true. He contributes goals a quite a bit for a LB/LWB. He just isn't your typical pacey fullback. Defensively he gets caught out because he is not fast, but I can guarantee you he will contribute with goals. I don't think there is another fullback with better goalscoring stats than him. But, yeah he was poor tonight.

Was a typo, I meant yesterday he offered nothing in attack which he definitely did not. His goal vs Newcastle was vital. Yet, I do not think his occasional attacking output justifies his overall shittiness. He more often than not leaves us vulnerable and commits stupid mistakes and turnovers. I do not think his goalscoring stats are so outstanding that this remedies his defensive incapacities. He maybe scores 5,6 goals per season if he is lucky. In the history of scoring defenders this is probably not even in the top 100. You talk about him like he is Koeman. But we concede more than 6 goals per season because of his individual mistakes.  Tomori has papered over a lot of his fails now that Tomori was rested his incredible stupidity in tackling, passing and positioning was evident once more. 

ja1, killer1257 and Johnnyeye like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.