Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

Franz Beckenbauer (greatest defender of all time, IMHO, overall, as well), Steve Bruce (19 goals in 1990-91 alone), Laurent Blanc (146  career goals) Fernando Hierro (163 goals in his career), Daniel Passarella (175 goals in his career) and of course, the greatest scoring central defender of all time, Ronald Koeman (253 goals in his career, 26 goals in a season for PSV in 87-88). The vast majority of all their games was at CB/Sweeper. I am sure there are others

aha true. I stand corrected.

The dutch de Boers', Frank and Ronald.

The two were fantastic defenders though - could read the game and had the pace to follow through. They were always employed in a very high defense line.

17 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

1 goal 5 assists now. Insane start to the season hes had. Rey improved under Sarri also defensively already albeit the real.tests are yet to come

Its obvious to see why RM are so interested in him. Hes like a Marcelo without the ball skills But they manage to get by with his weakness.

Its clear that Sarri also sees Alonsos weakness but comes out regularly saying hes working on it and he could be the best in the world.. And while I dont doubt that he will try 100% to do that it brings to mind when Conte also stated that he was going to try and make Luiz the best CB in the world.

I doubt there's time for DL as his problems are part of his character and very difficult to alter it now but I really hope Sarri gets Alonso close to his goal.

9 hours ago, Unionjack said:

I cant see theres time for DL as his problems are part of his character and very difficult to alter it now but I really hope Sarri gets Alonso close to his goal.

Now when you say “his goal” do you mean better defending or moving him closer to our goal... deeper. ;) pretty sure it’s the former, but just to point out it would be a bit wasteful to try to make him what he is not.

I do agree with sarri that if alonso improves defensively he will become the best lb in the word. Not sure that’s possible due to his build, but don’t think it is necessary either because then he’d leave for greener pastures.

that one-two between Eden and alonso is literally why I whatch football. :)

2 minutes ago, Robguima said:

Now when you say “his goal” do you mean better defending or moving him closer to our goal... deeper. ;) pretty sure it’s the former, but just to point out it would be a bit wasteful to try to make him what he is not.

LOL Yes the former.

I cant see tho why it would be wasteful. His problem isn't down to lack of speed getting back its the defending part,

It's not like working on Luiz's shortcomings as those ARE part of his character/personality. His brainfarts happen when he seems to totally misplace where he is at the time or the guy he is marking.

That and the stupid red mist mistakes he makes where he goes in studs up on tackles. He WILL do that this season and its going to come in a big game.

Those are things that are wasteful to work on as its part of who he is.

Not to be the piss on the parade, but Alonso turns 30 in the middle of the season after next.  The only world class LB's over 28 (ie 29 years old and older) atm are Marcelo (31 in May) and Jordi Alba (30 in March). Not joking.

Next step down (and it is a HUGE one) is 33yo ex Chelsea Filipe Luis, 33yo (in 2 months) ex Shitty Aleksandar Kolorov, 33yo in February Nacho Monreal (never rated him much, and he is an goona cunt), 30yo (in December) Kwadwo Asamoah (who Juve let go on a free), and 29yo ex Chelsea Ryan Bertrand. None of those 5 are remotely world class anymore or never were.

There are no other remotely close to even those 5 unless you claim 37yo Patrice Evra (who cannot find a club to sign him) or 33yo Gaël Clichy (playing for a middling team in Turkey) or 33yo Leighton Barnes are now at some high level, lolol.

This gen of LB's has not aged well at all.

Also, zero chance Alonso will be better than Alaba (who is 18 months younger too) in terms of best LB in the world. I dont think there is a poster on this board who wouldn't bite their own hand if Bayern said let's do an even swap in January, Alaba for Alonso.

I would think Lucas Hernandez (22) or Mendy (just turned 24 six weeks ago) or Alex Sandro (almost same age as Alonso, 29 days younger) would also fall into that scenario.

In point of fact, the gap between first and second best LB is the biggest at any position in football,  unless you narrow out deep holding playmaking (ie. Jorginho, Busquets types) DMF's from just pure destroyer types,  where Kante probaly has a bigger gap over number 2 Casemiro than even Alaba has over whoever you rate number 2 (for me it is Lucas, who has passed up Alex Sandro, others will pick another. Marcelo is even worse on defence than Alonso, so there's that). Kante no longer even plays that role with us though.

I am NOT bashing Alonso, I am so glad he is playing well. I think we can win a shit tonne of games because of him (far more than he may cost us on the defensive end.) I just needed to put things into perspective. 

15 minutes ago, kellzfresh said:

This guy must be kind of frustrating to play with if you're a winger. Modern day fullbacks are supposed to provide the width, constantly overlap for wingers, be a dribbling threat & put balls into the box. Alonso on the other hand plays like a poacher.

He exploits the space Hazard attracts & creates rather than actually taking attention off him. Hazard is one of the best dribblers to ever play so it works somehow but I can't see him playing like this at any other club.

It's working so far though but it's just strange to see the leftback take up the wingers half-space to shoot, instead of stretching the play and creating space for the winger 

But then again, Hazard has heavily benefitted from Alonso's offensive involvement, see the penalty last week and the assist yesterday where created by Alonso moving from the halfspace into the box. It would be interesting to have a more traditonally playing fullback with width and pace etc (aka Emerson) to support Hazard. maybe he would have more space then but I doubt it because every team is double-marking him anyway. And because Alonso is so unconventional it creates all kinds of havoc when he makes his offensive movements. No winger will track him back into his own box that is why he finds himself so much space all the time. The downside is that his side is often open. 

17 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

But then again, Hazard has heavily benefitted from Alonso's offensive involvement, see the penalty last week and the assist yesterday where created by Alonso moving from the halfspace into the box. It would be interesting to have a more traditonally playing fullback with width and pace etc (aka Emerson) to support Hazard. maybe he would have more space then but I doubt it because every team is double-marking him anyway. And because Alonso is so unconventional it creates all kinds of havoc when he makes his offensive movements. No winger will track him back into his own box that is why he finds himself so much space all the time. The downside is that his side is often open. 

Alonso is a new version of fullback, (inverted fullback) and because of hiss style of play, Kovacic has become even more crucial. His defensive skills will help shore up that side since Alonso gets more touches in the box than Morata. I'll honestly rather prefer it to be an attacker on the end of these chances instead of Alonso, but Alonso is doing well so far and our huge possession reduces the need for him to defend so, I'm not complaining.

11 hours ago, Vesper said:

Calls for Chelsea’s Marcos Alonso to be banned after Bournemouth

https://www.101greatgoals.com/top-stories/calls-chelsea-alonso-ban-bournemouth/

Lololol

Yeah he can b a little bitch esp defending , its good Sarri has identified all the good bad n ugly with him me thinks! And other players  as supporters we shout similar murmurings week in week out on deaf ears usually!

Image result for good bad and ugly

4 hours ago, kellzfresh said:

This guy must be kind of frustrating to play with if you're a winger. Modern day fullbacks are supposed to provide the width, constantly overlap for wingers, be a dribbling threat & put balls into the box. Alonso on the other hand plays like a poacher.

He exploits the space Hazard attracts & creates rather than actually taking attention off him. Hazard is one of the best dribblers to ever play so it works somehow but I can't see him playing like this at any other club.

It's working so far though but it's just strange to see the leftback take up the wingers half-space to shoot, instead of stretching the play and creating space for the winger 

If anything, blame the manager for using Alonso that way. First it was Conte and now it's Sarri. 

Alonso is basically a poacher from the LB. The only thing he does well from an attacking standpoint is make runs into the box. He can't beat anyone 1 on 1, can't cross, can't overlap, and can't create width. His general link up is quite poor only effective when he is an attacking area, try do a one-two in the buildup when he has to move his slow ass forget it.

I really don't believe Sarri believes it, he is quite complimentary to everyone.

I think one thing is clearly highlighted after the Newcastle and Bournemouth game is our inability to create width and exploit them when they play very narrow. Something has to give with our FBs.

3 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Alonso is basically a poacher from the LB. The only thing he does well from an attacking standpoint is make runs into the box. He can't beat anyone 1 on 1, can't cross, can't overlap, and can't create width. His general link up is quite poor only effective when he is an attacking area, try do a one-two in the buildup when he has to move his slow ass forget it.

Completely agree with all of this. 

Does anyone think Alonso will be here for the long term? I'm hoping the chatter and praise is to hype him and eventually move him onto Real Madrid for big money if possible. 

Great job by Sarri to have him playing this well, but obviously he has severe limitations given where he plays. If we as fans can see it even while he is scoring and playing well, surely one of the best managers in the world can see it too? 

He does get forward, he does score goals, but he breaks up a lot of the play and slows us down significantly. He can't react as quickly when linking up as Kova, Jorg and Hazard on his side. Surely we'd be better off with a more skilled, slicker, and faster LB? Won't score as many goals, but will increase the pace and that will result in more chances for others. 

And I'll repeat for the third time in this thread... I'm all for keeping him as well; but he needs to play striker. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Completely agree with all of this. 

Does anyone think Alonso will be here for the long term? I'm hoping the chatter and praise is to hype him and eventually move him onto Real Madrid for big money if possible. 

Great job by Sarri to have him playing this well, but obviously he has severe limitations given where he plays. If we as fans can see it even while he is scoring and playing well, surely one of the best managers in the world can see it too? 

He does get forward, he does score goals, but he breaks up a lot of the play and slows us down significantly. He can't react as quickly when linking up as Kova, Jorg and Hazard on his side. Surely we'd be better off with a more skilled, slicker, and faster LB? Won't score as many goals, but will increase the pace and that will result in more chances for others. 

And I'll repeat for the third time in this thread... I'm all for keeping him as well; but he needs to play striker. 

Dont know whats considered the long haul but he shall soon be 29

As for slowing us down I look towards Eden also who still has the hold and dribble mentality instead of the quick pass. This slows us down also. No matter how much we might like watching them

I actually think his defensive sides picked up somewhat. And as Sarri says they are working on that part of his play I'm happy to keep the lad right now also considering the lack of potential realistic upgrades.