Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

21 minutes ago, coolhead23 said:

He was exposed when Conte played 4 in the back ... his revival was when we moved 3 in the back and he got more chance to move forward. Yes he was a much improved player but he wouldnt last in the LB role under Sarri. Would hope that Sarri try Emerson with Alonso as a backup. 

He is tall, shame he cannot play GK:P

3 hours ago, coolhead23 said:

He did I think as far as I remember ... not much and he wasnt good before we changed the system

We bought Alonso on deadline day in 2016/17 season and that meant he missed the first 3 games of the season. He was an unused sub against Swansea and Liverpool before coming on at Arsenal, when Conte switched to the back 3 in the second half. 🙄

5 hours ago, Jason said:

Still early days under Sarri but Alonso appears to be heading down the Ivanovic (in his latter years) route - a bad player, contributes nothing but gets picked for whatever reason to the detriment of the team.

Because just like with Ivanovic in 15/16, the alternatives are worse.

On 7/29/2018 at 2:38 PM, Vesper said:

What do you think about a straight swap with Barca

Alonso for Jasper Cillessen?

Cillessen has a 40 million euro release clause, that seems about right for Alonso at this point, and then we can sell Courtois and avoid losing him on a free. I watched Cillesson again yesterday and he seems FAR superior to all the other dodgy keepers we have or have been linked to.

Alonso is only around 1 and a half years younger than Cillesson and keepers go much longer than LB's in career usually. Alonso is already slow, so when he loses a step he is well and truly shot.

It should be SO easy to do a quick sale of Courtois then, and take that cash and buy a left back to pair with Emerson

Barca is on the verge of selling Lucas Digne to Everton so they will need another LB

some good ones still out there for us if we hurry

Alex Telles from Porto (my first choice given the circumstances)

José Gayà from Valencia

Alejandro Grimaldo from Benfica (he scored yesterday v Juve)

Layvin Kurzawa from PSG

Wendell from Bayer Leverkusen

Theo Hernández from Real Madrid (Lucas's brother, OMG would kill to have Lucas but ZERO chance AM sells him)

I like how you're starting to believe in Jasper :) But you gotta stop calling him Cillesson, for God sake he AIN'T Swedish lol

Alonso - Cillessen swap makes too much sense so it definitely won't happen I'm afraid. I've been rooting for him for months and months already and I'm certain he's the best keeper we've produced since van der Sar. Absolute top class on the ball and very good reaction saver

3 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Yes, it was (of course) LB that fucked us, Azpi had to play wrong side because Baba sucked. Ivanovic had to take his place.

That was a cocked up team

1 minute ago, Tomo said:

Really? Emerson has even been given a proper go at left back. How can you tell exactly? Least if we play him there, we probably won't get exposed as much by one of the most basic things around - pace. The alternatives to Alonso aren't great but like we saw with Ivanovic, it's stupid if we continue with the same issues week in week out without trying something different, doing something to make sure we get less exposed defensively. 

18 minutes ago, !Hazard! said:

I like how you're starting to believe in Jasper :) But you gotta stop calling him Cillesson, for God sake he AIN'T Swedish lol

Alonso - Cillessen swap makes too much sense so it definitely won't happen I'm afraid. I've been rooting for him for months and months already and I'm certain he's the best keeper we've produced since van der Sar. Absolute top class on the ball and very good reaction saver

He is Dutch like you, I know

where did I type it   on  ?

I am dyslexic, btw so make many typos:(

if he was Swedish it would probably end in on not en although Cillesson is not a real name, I looks strange even:)

Danish often ends in en, so does Norwegian

Larsson  usually Swedish

Larssen or Larsen usually Danish or Norwegian

Ericsson usually Swedish

Eriksen  Danish or Norse

Andreas Christensen well, you get the point

22 minutes ago, Tomo said:

What is worse about Emerson? He at least has tangible qualities unlike Alonso who is good at free kicks and that’s about it. Emerson has pace to overlap, can dribble, attempts to pass and move and can create chances. Same number of assists in 5 appearances for us that Alonso managed in a whole league season. Even this pre season, in less minutes can point to two clear cut chances Emerson has made (Pedro in first game and Abraham in second). 

I’m not completely sold on Emerson, he seems either low on confidence or just lacking extra bit of quality to be a top LB. But he damn well deserves a chance as it’s clear he has some strengths where Alonso lacks and if Marcos Alonso has managed to be be given a competitionless 2 seasons as our starting LB Emerson at least deserves a run of game.

In summary, Emerson hasn’t set pre season alight per se but he at least has shown some of his strengths. Alonso every appearance for Chelsea FC doesn’t set anything alight. Annoys me when people call out Emerson having an average game as to why Alonso should start when Alonso is average at best for 60% of his games, not really contributing anything meaningful to attack or defence (the rest are worse than average).

28 minutes ago, !Hazard! said:

THIS is deffo Dutch!!

even though sung in English

:D

3 minutes ago, ja1 said:

What is worse about Emerson? He at least has tangible qualities unlike Alonso who is good at free kicks and that’s about it. Emerson has pace to overlap, can dribble, attempts to pass and move and can create chances. Same number of assists in 5 appearances for us that Alonso managed in a whole league season. Even this pre season, in less minutes can point to two clear cut chances Emerson has made (Pedro in first game and Abraham in second). 

I’m not completely sold on Emerson, he seems either low on confidence or just lacking extra bit of quality to be a top LB. But he damn well deserves a chance as it’s clear he has some strengths where Alonso lacks and if Marcos Alonso has managed to be be given a competitionless 2 seasons as our starting LB Emerson at least deserves a run of game.

In summary, Emerson hasn’t set pre season alight per se but he at least has shown some of his strengths. Alonso every appearance for Chelsea FC doesn’t set anything alight. Annoys me when people call out Emerson having an average game as to why Alonso should start when Alonso is average at best for 60% of his games, not really contributing anything meaningful to attack or defence (the rest are worse than average).

How is he gonna set preseason alight when Sarri keeps playing piss poor Alonso over him...

He isn't even an LB. More of a left-midfielder than a fullback. 

Defence worries me, man. Chels lack true quality in the centre of defence (Christensen>Rudiger for me but even Chris is still a developing CB) and left-back is real worry for me. Was hoping Emerson would come good but that doesn't seem to be the case (at least not yet). That left flank could be exposed.

Think Sarri would be wise to deploy Azpi on the left. But I don't like Zappacosta at RB. Moses should be ahead of Zappacosta in the pecking order imo. Think he would make a decent RB.

REAL WANT ALONSO

Real Madrid are set to target Chelsea defender Marcos Alonso, according to Don Balon. 

New manager Julen Lopetegui is said to want the Spain international at the Bernabeu and has asked the club to make a move.

Interesting, what a shame our window is closing early.

7 minutes ago, dreamcfc said:

REAL WANT ALONSO

Real Madrid are set to target Chelsea defender Marcos Alonso, according to Don Balon. 

New manager Julen Lopetegui is said to want the Spain international at the Bernabeu and has asked the club to make a move.

Interesting, what a shame our window is closing early.

Alonso + Courtois for Kovacic