Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

53 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

That therefore is not evidence which can be used on either side of the argument. You may believe that other managers, If choosing from the same squad, would have preferred Luis but you can't know it. All of the actual evidence, even the Mikel/Matic situation, points the same way on this one.

It's not evidence, but you were making the point that the managers that came after mourinho have made the same choices, but they didn't have the choice of picking Felipe Luis.

Mourinho stuck with a lineup nearly every week. He may have thought Ivanovic was the better choice. We don't know what they looked like in training. But there has to be a certain level of rotation to keep players fresh and fighting for their places.

36 minutes ago, kmk108 said:

It's not evidence, but you were making the point that the managers that came after mourinho have made the same choices, but they didn't have the choice of picking Felipe Luis.

Mourinho stuck with a lineup nearly every week. He may have thought Ivanovic was the better choice. We don't know what they looked like in training. But there has to be a certain level of rotation to keep players fresh and fighting for their places.

Remember I was responding to the claim that Jose simply picked his favourites, and the implication that he made that decision on an irrational basis. My response just points out that where ever other managers have had the same options available to them, they have made the same choice Jose did. It's not possible therefore to support the favouritism claim.

As to rotation, every manager in the world knows the pros and cons. They weigh those and make their choice. Whatever choices they make, they all have their reasons for it.

We have heard fans complain about a lack of rotation, and we have heard other fans complain about too much rotation. It seems that, as with so much else in football, it just depends on whether you win or not. Well, Jose did win. He not only won the league with a squad which was at least as weak as the current one, he came damn close to winning it the year before with a squad that was even weaker than that one.

9 hours ago, Jason said:

Are we waiting for baba to become world class or what is this supposed to be. We'll be waiting for a long time then.

9 hours ago, Pizy said:

Wtf? 

1 minute ago, Artandur said:

Are we waiting for baba to become world class or what is this supposed to be. We'll be waiting for a long time then.

This is just :lol:. If we buy him, people will moan that we are wasting money and getting another panic buy. If we sign him on loan, people will also moan even if there's less risk in doing so. Since we are in the situation where we can no longer get our first choice transfer targets, signing someone decent on loan is hardly the worst idea out there. At least we know the club will go out and spend at a later time, be it in January or next summer.

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

At least we know the club will go out and spend at a later time, be it in January or next summer.

Do we, though ? :D I'd rather sign someone decent and have him at the club than facing the possibility of totally losing out on any targets in later windows. We could still sign someone great next year and have alonso as a squad player.

1 minute ago, Artandur said:

Do we, though ? :D I'd rather sign someone decent and have him at the club than facing the possibility of totally losing out on any targets in later windows. We could still sign someone great next year and have alonso as a squad player.

If we want to, we can easily have a clause in his contract that allows to buy during his loan spell. That being said, given this pops up just days before the end of the transfer window, it's unlikely Alonso's a high priority in Conte's list. If he was, he would have been brought in by now. Getting him on loan is arguably for the best. At least we won't have to sit here and moan about having another Papy/Miazga/Baba while having trouble selling him and sending him out on a journey around Europe!

This is just [emoji38]. If we buy him, people will moan that we are wasting money and getting another panic buy. If we sign him on loan, people will also moan even if there's less risk in doing so.

Exactly.

Loan with a few million fee + €20M buy option seems a lot safer bet than just buy at €20M. If he comes good, the €20M is peanuts and if he fails to impress then cutting him loose next year will be easy and the club can pursue another target.

From what I've heard about the guy since yesterday it seems promising. Not the best left-back out there but a good player anyway and can still improve under a manager like Conte.

At this point in the window I don't see many better options so I say go for it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

If we want to, we can easily have a clause in his contract that allows to buy during his loan spell. That being said, given this pops up just days before the end of the transfer window, it's unlikely Alonso's a high priority in Conte's list. If he was, he would have been brought in by now. Getting him on loan is arguably for the best. At least we won't have to sit here and moan about having another Papy/Miazga/Baba while having trouble selling him and sending him out on a journey around Europe!

If we get an option to buy, i'd be totally fine with that. You saying he isnt high priority made me think, though. Was there any full back who was high priority to begin with ?

34 minutes ago, Jason said:

This is just :lol:. If we buy him, people will moan that we are wasting money and getting another panic buy. If we sign him on loan, people will also moan even if there's less risk in doing so. Since we are in the situation where we can no longer get our first choice transfer targets, signing someone decent on loan is hardly the worst idea out there. At least we know the club will go out and spend at a later time, be it in January or next summer.

I'm not against it but it's just strange. Big clubs don't usually being in loanees to be starters when they have title ambitions. They're usually just to make up the numbers.

Maybe that tells us something. That he'd just be Azpi's backup... <_<

11 hours ago, the wes said:

Great managers can turn an average player into a good player maybe conte can do that with Alonso look at job conte did with the Italian team most them wouldn't get on the west ham team 

So why couldn't he do that with Baba?

2 minutes ago, the wes said:

Maybe baba wanted to be loaned out??

If Conte wanted to give him games and help him improve as a player then Baba would still be here.

But instead he was loaned out and here we are looking for loan deals for players no better than what we already had.