Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

He can score great goals, granted. Yet how does it equate to Hume being a great wingback. 3-5-2 means the basic quality that a wingback should have is he should be able to cover the whole of the left or right side and that too fast. Moses might not be the most technically gifted but he has good stamina, and could keep running for hours. Alonso on the other hand doesn't have as much speed, and that's problematic when he goes up against speedy wingers

11 hours ago, manpe said:

They don't watch and scrutinize us every game. A lot of such opinions are formed from highlights or selective memory, and he grabs the highlight reels with his goals and free-kicks - absolutely tertiary characteristics for a wing-back, a good bonus. You don't hear many people talk about anything else but his goalscoring record for a defender when they praise him, they don't analyze his defensive or possession game, both of which could be much better and would contribute more in general than the odd goals.

Odd goal?! He’s got 6 this season and very important ones at that: like the only goal we scored against Soton. The one goal we could score from open play against arsenal. 

He has 2 MotM for us this season alone. I know, Matic had several and it did not help him around here.

Scoring goals is hard :) and they change games! that’s why they pay so much to players who can do that consistently. R Carlos made a career out of that - Alonso has far better technique (yes I’ve watched R.Carlos play ... live too).

are we going to erase his aerial contribution, defense and attack, because it’s tertiary for a WB? Perhaps having Alonso heading the ball in our box covers for azpi who does not have the stature to win headers (which is primary for a cb)?

agree to disagree on his overall game which I think is pretty good esp around technique passing and first touch.

The club and the manager wanted him just the way he is. I cannot imagine that they are disppointed by his contribution so far,considering his characteristics as a player were well known beforehand.

21 minutes ago, Robguima said:

are we going to erase his aerial contribution, defense and attack, because it’s tertiary for a WB? Perhaps having Alonso heading the ball in our box covers for azpi who does not have the stature to win headers (which is primary for a cb)?

agree to disagree on his overall game which I think is pretty good esp around technique passing and first touch.

I wouldn't call aerial contribution tertiary for a WB, rather secondary. :) It doesn't cover Azpi, because if the ball comes to Azpi's zone there is nothing a player playing on the other side can do. It balances the defensive line, yes. And I feel you are giving too little credit to Azpi, he's better in the air than his height suggests, I think he easily wins over half of his headers thanks to superior positioning and strength (f.ex. Lukaku was absolutely his bitch on 2nd floor). I'm not worried about Azpi's aerial play at all, but I sometimes am worried about Alonso's lack of speed and ability to recover for example.

I don't disagree that he is "pretty good", our team as a whole is pretty good. But I want us to aim for very good, and that starts with reducing the roles of pretty good players.

7 hours ago, manpe said:

I wouldn't call aerial contribution tertiary for a WB, rather secondary. :) It doesn't cover Azpi, because if the ball comes to Azpi's zone there is nothing a player playing on the other side can do. It balances the defensive line, yes. And I feel you are giving too little credit to Azpi, he's better in the air than his height suggests, I think he easily wins over half of his headers thanks to superior positioning and strength (f.ex. Lukaku was absolutely his bitch on 2nd floor). I'm not worried about Azpi's aerial play at all, but I sometimes am worried about Alonso's lack of speed and ability to recover for example.

I don't disagree that he is "pretty good", our team as a whole is pretty good. But I want us to aim for very good, and that starts with reducing the roles of pretty good players.

In set-pieces, Alonso plays fairly centralized, presumably to balance out our defense. No, I think Azpi is a terrific defender and "decent" in the air (for his height), but if I am Giroud and need to attack one of our CB aerially, I know which one I'd pick. Lukaku is really not a good example... ;)

We just disagree on the pretty good, as I think Alonso is good to very good on his day. Reckon we just should upgrade in other areas first, as there are far deeper weaknesses in other areas of the pitch. And more important ones too. Even though I don't share the view that Eden is a victim of the overall poor quality of the squad (esp attack), I will daresay he was happier when Oscar was around, yes even with all his limitations.

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

He's just a slow slow player.

His goals hide the fact that he's painfully average as a wingback in this system.

He is already slow to begin with and when he's not mentally on it, he is even slower and dare I say, shittier.

Terrible today, and on a bad day Alonso really creates a lot of defensive vulnerability. Can’t believe he was getting roasted by Schelotto on that left hand side. Emerson can’t come through soon enough. 

1 hour ago, yuvala said:

We all know Marcos isn't that great at defending.. and I mean he's also not some god going forward.

But I really really like him because of his attitude and character.

Have to say I miss the likability factor Alonso seems to have with others, due to his well known past mistakes. Moses on other hand, with his story, for me makes him a bit likable. Slightly ironic because I'd say other supporters are less endeared to him.

2 hours ago, ja1 said:

Have to say I miss the likability factor Alonso seems to have with others, due to his well known past mistakes. Moses on other hand, with his story, for me makes him a bit likable. Slightly ironic because I'd say other supporters are less endeared to him.

I think for me atleast its just because he has SOME sort of a character. I love seeing his passion and commitment.. I think its always good to have players with strong characters even when it might not be the "perfect person" sort of personality (I really liked Costa for an example even though many on here didn't). That's not to say Moses doesn't have a character, he might just not show it.

On January 20, 2018 at 8:20 AM, ja1 said:

He's not likable at all honestly. Especially to anybody who has ever lost a loved one because of a drunk driving dickhead.

He shows up with some goals, but liking?Nah.