Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

2 hours ago, DYC. said:

When Chels manage to get a left wingback, I'd love to see him at on the left of the back three. Actually think he could find a new home in that position. On the flank he's hindered by his physical limitations but I do think he possesses the defensive nous to play at the back.

Azpilicueta - Christensen - Alonso

That back-line would improve the overall quality of the build-up play from the back, which in turn would help elongate the effectiveness of the three CB system. He could also provide that bit of unpredictability like Azpilicueta does so well on the right. The few games (in a full season) which absolutely require more physicality would be the ideal time to call on either Cahill or Rudiger.

That would just make our defence slow and immobile. Will be even worse than Cahill-Christensen-Azpi.

We have Christensen, Rudiger, Azpilicueta, Luiz and Cahill, and some of you still want this guy at the back three? Am I missing something?

He is not strong, not so mobile, his defensive skills (positioning, blocking, sliding, marking) are also very very questionable. It's beyond me that anyone would want him at the back three.

52 minutes ago, El P. said:

We have Christensen, Rudiger, Azpilicueta, Luiz and Cahill, and some of you still want this guy at the back three? Am I missing something?

He is not strong, not so mobile, his defensive skills (positioning, blocking, sliding, marking) are also very very questionable. It's beyond me that anyone would want him at the back three.

Not to mention that we need some physicality when it comes to corners for example. Christensen and Azpilicueta are very good defenders, but not really strong players. Alonso would weaken us in that regard even further if he comes in for Cahill or Rudiger.

Problem with Alonso is he's just 'alright' and this team needs high quality wing backs if we are to really push on.

In an ideal world he doesn't get near starting if we had a complete LWB and this needs addressing ASAP and I don't mean another middle of the road Joe that 'can do a job'

He offers us a balance with being naturally left footed but that doesn't mask his pure inability to do the basics right.

Problem with Alonso is he's just 'alright' and this team needs high quality wing backs if we are to really push on.
In an ideal world he doesn't get near starting if we had a complete LWB and this needs addressing ASAP and I don't mean another middle of the road Joe that 'can do a job'
He offers us a balance with being naturally left footed but that doesn't mask his pure inability to do the basics right.
Hmm i on the other hand think he does the basics right, but barely anything more. We need someone who can do more than just the basics.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

He is super super efficient in attack. Thats something it should be valued very highly. But his speed and defending are very poor... 

We definately need another first team LB and those two can then have healthy competition. 

Im just dissapointed, when there was plenty of Sandro talk in august, Alonso was on fire, then he just dropped level after window closed...

1 hour ago, BlueLyon said:

He is super super efficient in attack. Thats something it should be valued very highly. But his speed and defending are very poor... 

We definately need another first team LB and those two can then have healthy competition. 

Im just dissapointed, when there was plenty of Sandro talk in august, Alonso was on fire, then he just dropped level after window closed...

yeah get a faster LB and move Alonso to the middle - transition should not be difficult considering his passing and overall technique is good. Can be cover for both positions... done thousand times before.

Now do we want defensive LB in our current 3 cb formation? That usually doesn't work. Sandro of course is a top player, so that's going to a diff signing.

yeah get a faster LB and move Alonso to the middle - transition should not be difficult considering his passing and overall technique is good. Can be cover for both positions... done thousand times before.
Now do we want defensive LB in our current 3 cb formation? That usually doesn't work. Sandro of course is a top player, so that's going to a diff signing.
I've always thought he'd be better placed as a LCB, especially due to his height.

17 hours ago, Blusan Alamb said:

With due respect to what looks like an impressive stat at first, it's probably equally important to take into account that no other wing/full back in the top 6-7 clubs has had Alonso's privilege of playing in a 3 atb (not four) formation with no injuries and no competition, hence nearly playing every minute of every game in what is usually a heavily rotated position, for the last 18 months. I'll give him he's got an accurate free kick from a specific position that helps his goal tally too, an edge over other full backs who can only contribute from open play. But in terms of open play, no, Alonso still isn't that great going forward (in its most traditional sense) and is reposponsible for so many attacks of ours breaking down. A post before described him as efficient in attack - his breakdown of so many of our attacks going forward is paradoxically inefficient. I wouldn't hesitate to replace him with Rose, Mendy, or even Kolasinac.

The second fallacy to how great Alonso is going forward is that he's a 'great technician'. Ambiguous phrase but compare him with Fabregas and Hazard, two people who actually deserve that description. Alonso's touch/composure under pressure is poor (see Newcastle goal), he can't dribble, his passing is average and vision non existent. He's no more 'technically' apt than, say, Jordan Henderson. Having said that I agree he would be probably of similar quality to Baka/DW in midfield, then again he's not technically superior to either. 

21 minutes ago, ja1 said:

The second fallacy to how great Alonso is going forward is that he's a 'great technician'. Ambiguous phrase but compare him with Fabregas and Hazard, two people who actually deserve that description. Alonso's touch/composure under pressure is poor (see Newcastle goal), he can't dribble, his passing is average and vision non existent. He's no more 'technically' apt than, say, Jordan Henderson. Having said that I agree he would be probably of similar quality to Baka/DW in midfield, then again he's not technically superior to either. 

Completely agree. I'd argue that Alonso against pressing sides is as useless going forward as he is while he's defending. He has terrible agility and speed and can't do anything of significance against sides who don't sit off of us.

This is why I've always said Moses is the better wing-back. The most important qualities of a modern wing back is athleticism to drive forward and beat the opponent's press through dribbling ability, shortly followed by their ability to beat defenders 1v1. Moses isn't one of the best in the league in these two departments by any means, but he is miles ahead of Alonso. Can't believe how atrocious we look on that left side against any semi decent team.

He's absolutely terrific going forward but he is really struggling defensively this season, and it's hard to put my finger on why. When we're playing 3-5-2, it isn't any real surprise, as he is far more exposed than he would be in a 3-4-3 where Willian/Pedro might be doubling up. He also doesn't have the protection offered last season by Nemanja Matic. However, this season he just seems "off it" intellectually... he's never been the most resolute of defenders but he is generally quite intelligent and reads the game quite well. Not the case this year, as he's been very clumsy and, worryingly, inattentive of what's going on around him. Great goal and a more improved performance from him yesterday, but Southampton never really attacked down his flank all game. It is our wing backs that need improving this summer, without a doubt.

On 17/12/2017 at 5:23 PM, BlueLion. said:

He's absolutely terrific going forward but he is really struggling defensively this season

I don't think that's the case, he might be good with finishing, but he gives away possession due to his lack of quick passing ( evident under West ham) and poor ball control under pressure