Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

2 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

Talking about Mendy, its actualy funny because Bakayoko and Batshuayi are big big friends with him, if we ever tried bidding for Mendy, Im quite positive he would end up here. But instead we went all in for Sandro and ended up with nothing.

The Monaco vice president said Mendy told him the following:

"I really want to go to City with Guardiola." Several times he said to me: "If it was Chelsea, I would stay, but this is Guardiola, I want to go there." He was frank with me."

Guardiola has serious clout unlike most other managers.

3 hours ago, Styles said:

The Monaco vice president said Mendy told him the following:

"I really want to go to City with Guardiola." Several times he said to me: "If it was Chelsea, I would stay, but this is Guardiola, I want to go there." He was frank with me."

Guardiola has serious clout unlike most other managers.

The style he plays has to be fun with players. A very open and attacking brand of football.

17 minutes ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

The style he plays has to be fun with players. A very open and attacking brand of football.

What kind of message does yesterday's game send out to the top players? It's clear why most would prefer to go elsewhere if given the option.

If I'm a top player and both clubs are after me, I'm going to to City. The London attraction is the only thing working in our favour.

• 2 weeks later...

After the right side of our attack, Alonso is probably the most concerning area of our team. He's so painfully slow that he's a liability both attacking and defending. He can very rarely beat his man 1 on 1 because it's so easy for his marker to stay in front of him and he gets easily run past by any decent wide attacking player. We may be able to mask his weaknesses against most sides, but against any of the top sides he'll be ruthlessly targeted and exposed. Seen it time and time again already this season, yesterday included against a terrible side.

The worrying this is that we have no real alternative. Kenedy is not Chelsea quality. It was absolute madness to enter the season without cover. 

5 minutes ago, Pizy said:

After the right side of our attack, Alonso is probably the most concerning area of our team. He's so painfully slow that he's a liability both attacking and defending. He can very rarely beat his man 1 on 1 because it's so easy for his marker to stay in front of him and he gets easily run past by any decent wide attacking player. We may be able to mask his weaknesses against most sides, but against any of the top sides he'll be ruthlessly targeted and exposed. Seen it time and time again already this season, yesterday included against a terrible side.

The worrying this is that we have no real alternative. Kenedy is not Chelsea quality. It was absolute madness to enter the season without cover. 

Baba to the rescue? :ph34r:

^ I don't know how long he's out for but he could be a decent option to rotate with Alonso.

When we bought Zappa, I read that he can play in both left and ring wing-back, but so far Conte has used him on the right.

Alonso is one of the players, who not only need rest from time to time but a competition for his place. Last year he was great but so far, he's had one good game against Tottenham and that's about it.

His poorest performance for us so far. Just looked lost, he is slow but even against fast opponents he has done a lot better. His performance against Tottenham where he was definitely our best player, extremely solid defensively as well as offering something offensively, seems like a while ago now. Hopefully he gets a kick up the arse!! He’s also played like every game and most of the minutes in the league since arriving last season, won’t be long before fatigue possibly comes in, maybe not but it will at some point eventually if he’s flogged again this season.

He didn't play particularly different to most of his other games since arriving. Might have the occasional game like Tottenham where he gets a free kick in his favoured position (he's v good at them but it has to be in literally an exact spot), maybe an oppurtunity to take a shot as he also has decent technique at that, to paper over his cracks.

I think sometimes a player comes and if we have low expectations of them even if they perform average they're heralded as a great signing. Any average player we subsequently get linked with 'he could be the next Alonso/Moses' 'well Alonso didn't turn out too badly'. Inevitably after a season the novelty wears off and it's clear while they're not awful they're not exactly great either. 

3 hours ago, ja1 said:

He didn't play particularly different to most of his other games since arriving. Might have the occasional game like Tottenham where he gets a free kick in his favoured position (he's v good at them but it has to be in literally an exact spot), maybe an oppurtunity to take a shot as he also has decent technique at that, to paper over his cracks.

I think sometimes a player comes and if we have low expectations of them even if they perform average they're heralded as a great signing. Any average player we subsequently get linked with 'he could be the next Alonso/Moses' 'well Alonso didn't turn out too badly'. Inevitably after a season the novelty wears off and it's clear while they're not awful they're not exactly great either. 

Hes so slooooooowwwwwww. So many times hes free, we switch the play from the right to the left, and he has acres of space. Before he can get forward, someone from such a far distance always closes him down. This happens time and time again. He is a huge weakness tactically in both attacking and defensive aspects of the game because fast wingers also target him and keep us pinned back to accomodate his speed. 

This is Ivanovic in decline all over again. Unless he scores a freekick he's an average joe in all other aspects of the game.

• 3 weeks later...

He was so bad yesterday, that was almost the level of Ivanovic in 15/16. Since the Tottenham game he looks totally lost on our left side. Opponents are going all out on him, knowing that they would easily get past Marcos. He is mistaking passes left, right and center and I don´t even want to start talking about his speed and his crosses. But his lack of form isn´t only his fault, because the board knew since May that we have to buy another LWB in order to rest Marcos more often this season, considering we have to play on all fronts now. But of course except the penny pinching saga with Alex Sandro our stupid board did nothing to buy a LWB for competition. And Conte obviously doesn´t trust Kenedy. Now we have an tired, out of form Alonso in our team, who is going to play against high-flying Antonio Valencia on Sunday...that won´t be funny for us Chelsea fans..

15 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

I will just put in a nutshell....He's fucking crap.

He's OK if he is your free kick taker in FIFA18's practice arena

Hes so slow, and hes a such a terrible crosser, I thought he was a technical player.

He is presenting our team with a tactical flaw, he's being targeted because hes too slow to recover in time to catch any third runner in behind. Hes also left free when we are attacking (while they mark all our other attackers) and as soon as we switch the ball over to his side, he is closed down easily because of his speed and he passes back to cahill. Last season because of lesser games, he was fresh and got by, but now its a disaster.

Very frustrating and Im pissed at Conte for not noticing such an obvious tactical flaw that is hampering our team. Im beginning to think that the only reason he's playing is because of his height for courtois to punt the ball to :rant:

7 minutes ago, kellzfresh said:

Hes so slow, and hes a such a terrible crosser, I thought he was a technical player.

He is presenting our team with a tactical flaw, he's being targeted because hes too slow to recover in time to catch any third runner in behind. Hes also left free when we are attacking (while they mark all our other attackers) and as soon as we switch the ball over to his side, he is closed down easily because of his speed and he passes back to cahill. Last season because of lesser games, he was fresh and got by, but now its a disaster.

Very frustrating and Im pissed at Conte for not noticing such an obvious tactical flaw that is hampering our team. Im beginning to think that the only reason he's playing is because of his height for courtois to punt the ball to :rant:

But no back up. Kenedy isn't any better and this is exactly what I am talking about and have been since last summer, the lack of reinforcements.

48 minutes ago, kellzfresh said:

It's like Ivanovic is still around. Would have been fun to see Ivanovic and Alonso playing as WBs for us. :lol:

1 hour ago, Special Juan said:

But no back up. Kenedy isn't any better and this is exactly what I am talking about and have been since last summer, the lack of reinforcements.

I'll rather have azpi play LB than Alonso there. We have enough centerbacks now, conte should push azpi there and reduce one tactical problem.

35 minutes ago, Jason said:

It's like Ivanovic is still around. Would have been fun to see Ivanovic and Alonso playing as WBs for us. :lol:

It'll be carnage on the wings lol