Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

On 9/23/2017 at 4:48 PM, ja1 said:

One of the most overrated players in recent Chelsea history.

Overrated? He was severely underrated when he came here. He's also won us games this season and last with his goals, so that's nonsense. 

20 hours ago, Thor said:

This still holds true from a month ago. 

His side really gets hammered and tested against the better teams. Like I said, great in attack when we have control over the ball and can play around the box, because he seems to have great tactical awareness in regards to offence, but he is shambles on defence when it comes to 1-2's or being faced with a player quicker than him. He quite literally does 360's at times trying to find his man... Not instilling a lot of confidence... at least for me. 

Azpi at LWB is better for me. I don't like him on the right, but in the 30 minutes he played there against Stoke, he put in a better performance than Alonso ever has, Tottenham game included. 

Azpi could be a serious option there for me, considering the options we have in the middle. 

Leaving the player's characteristics aside, I do agree that he is fairly weak defensively and lacks pace (again personal preferences), and going into team balance: isn't one of the main reasons of playing 3 in the back to free the wingbacks? 

What might explain my disagreement with some here is that for me, wingbacks in a 3-cb system are midfielders, not wingers or lbs. So, I'm actually far more concerned with the right side as I feel moses does not offer enough as a midfielder.

We play with 3 CBs plus 2 very defensive CMs in front of them (some may call either one a DM). Azpi would be too much of a good thing in my book. Perhaps only in certain circumstances, when we want to defend. While Azpi does produce a good cross here and there, his contribution in attack/linkup/middle is generally poor.

Honestly, I think as it is now we are way on the defensive side of things; lacking fluidity on occasion. Perhaps we've just been missing hazard, but that'd be worrisome too.

13 hours ago, LAM09 said:
13 hours ago, positivefootball said:
Excellent player.

Going forward

Even if he got an assist, I was not happy with his attacking yesterday. So many times he was one on one against a player and all he could do was attempt a nutmeg and fall to the floor when he's obviously blocked. Very frustrating, and he never seems to cross from the left. We have a very good header of the ball in Morata and he didn't put in any cross for Morata all game. 

I just wish we had fullbacks that are good in one on one situations (attacking wise and defensively) and can cross. Our scouts are terrible at this. 

On 24.9.2017 at 10:07 PM, Amblève. said:

Anyone else notice how Alonso's right foot is really good, too?

Another assist with his right foot last night. Wouldn't surprise me if his assist totals with his left and right foot were close to even.

29 minutes ago, Thor said:

I thought he was fairly average aside from the last bit of action. He has his moments, but I really think he is probably the first player on the pitch for us who should be upgraded.

Is a fantastic squad player to have though. 

who do you think would be a better upgrade on Alonso?

1 hour ago, Johnnyeye said:

who do you think would be a better upgrade on Alonso?

Sandro, Rose, Alaba, Mendy, Alba, Marcelo (ofc), Luis, Mendy are the obvious ones. A number of players may not be obvious but I feel they'd make us a more dangerous side (Telles, Kolasinac). Failing that at least get some competition /back up for the man, ideally a young player with potential. Theo Hernandez would be that perfect player, alas Madrid got one of the future top full backs for just £22m.

9 hours ago, ja1 said:

Sandro, Rose, Alaba, Mendy, Alba, Marcelo (ofc), Luis, Mendy are the obvious ones. A number of players may not be obvious but I feel they'd make us a more dangerous side (Telles, Kolasinac). Failing that at least get some competition /back up for the man, ideally a young player with potential. Theo Hernandez would be that perfect player, alas Madrid got one of the future top full backs for just £22m.

I think he meant realistic options. Sandro was the only one who looked realistic and that never happened. Who knows what happens in summer but majority of names you mentioned are/were unrealistic.

34 minutes ago, Stats said:

I think he meant realistic options. Sandro was the only one who looked realistic and that never happened. Who knows what happens in summer but majority of names you mentioned are/were unrealistic.

should have pushed for Mendy and other strong, fast and skilled options more instead of singularly moving for for Sandro.

I'm hoping Kenedy gets time and has 9-10 strong performances this season.

1 hour ago, Stats said:

How exactly was Sandro more realistic than Mendy? We simply put all our eggs in one basked like usual.

4 hours ago, quickpassnmove said:

should have pushed for Mendy and other strong, fast and skilled options more instead of singularly moving for for Sandro.

I'm hoping Kenedy gets time and has 9-10 strong performances this season.

4 hours ago, Georgy said:

How exactly was Sandro more realistic than Mendy? We simply put all our eggs in one basked like usual.

Both are not realistic, I want mendy but City bought him for 53 m, I am not sure we can afford that

17 minutes ago, communicate said:

Both are not realistic, I want mendy but City bought him for 53 m, I am not sure we can afford that

We ending up bidding more than that for Sandro. Agree most of the first list are unattainable but we dug ourselves our own hole there, as someone else mentioned, all eggs in one basket.

54 minutes ago, ja1 said:

We ending up bidding more than that for Sandro. Agree most of the first list are unattainable but we dug ourselves our own hole there, as someone else mentioned, all eggs in one basket.

I'll be suprised if we are willing to go above that number for Alex Sandro.

Nah I don't believe one egg in one basket. Conte said we are interested in walker but he is too expensive. He end up moving to city for 50 m. From that I can imply that we are not willing to go for that price for a wb.

When someone names Alaba as a better play than Alonso...Alonso is better than Alaba, Alaba has been poor for 2 seasons already. One should look at his reaction vs. PSG where Mbappe sends him to donuts.