Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

5 hours ago, The Skipper said:

We have teams like Bayern, Juve and Real who have super left backs. Why should we settle for less? You wait till we get to the CL.

In any case we should at least bring in competition for him. If someone like Alex Sandro becomes available on the market you would pass on him because we have Alonso? 

No one is saying he's a bad player. But we can improve. 

IMO Marcos is doing great job and has plenty of potential to imporve. He can become our new Ivanovic or Capdevilla. Doesnt have to be big name or fancy player to be very important to the squad.

He is good on the ball, gets quite many headers, physicaly not weak and is improving his defensive understanding of the game too.

Moses while being very good too, will have to be replaced tho. IMO this is near his peak and his end product is not enough combined with Alonso to push for europe. He adds great physical presence (IMO  our strongest player apart from Cahill and Luiz) and he has top engine too, but lacks some of technical knowledge.

We obviously need two wingbacks on either side so there will be plenty of rotation I expect.

16 hours ago, Yeboii said:

Alonso is doing great. Just because he isn't a big name he isn't good enough?
He does tricks like elasticos, whips good crosses in, defends well and can head the ball. His passing is good as well and he sometimes takes marauding runs where no one can stop him.
What is there not to be satisfied with? Because he is a little slow? He has made up for that for sure.

I agree with your description of what Marcos brings to the team. This is why I was so pleased when he was linked to us, and was excited about how he could help us. I'm a big fan.

Nevertheless, I am one of those calling for an upgrade. We want to be the best team in the country, in Europe, and the entire world. There are players who can do what Marcos can, but do so with more power, and more pace. Some of those players can also defend better. If the club can identify and recruit one of those players then I would support them making a change at LWB. 

4 hours ago, MrExcalibur100 said:

We still need another LWB and another RWB obviously but Marcus was great today. Stood up to the challenge and didn't hide. 

Could u see alonso a future LCB?? He played in that position for Fiorentina a few times last season

14 minutes ago, the wes said:

Could u see alonso a future LCB?? He played in that position for Fiorentina a few times last season

I didn't know he did but def in an emergency situation. I doubt it will happen though, with JT, Ake and Zouma waiting in the wings. 

On 4/4/2017 at 7:04 AM, The Skipper said:

If people are satisfied with Alonso or Moses being a starter for the next few years, we'll never be a super club tbh. 

If they are performing like they are why not? For me the best teams have always been teams, not 11 world class individual players (has there ever been a team of 11 individuals?), although one of the big reasons why 3-4-3 has worked this season in my eyes is because of those two, along with Luiz's development and Kante's energy. You can talk about Hazard, Pedro, Willian, etc but without Victor and Marcos being out wide making the pitch as wide as possible in attacking phases those guys wouldn't have as much of the space or freedom they have to operate, I mean imagine if we didn't play 3-4-3 and Hazard was stuck out at left wing again being doubled up every game? Or Willian or Pedro had the same? These guys being out on the touchline gives these other guys the chance to play closer to the forward as opposed to the touch line. Their defensive contribution too also means Hazard and Willian/Pedro dont need to be as concerned about the opposition fullback going by them either. Sure they aren't maybe glamorous options or have world record fees but I'd have those two ahead of some of the other top 4 clubs full back/wing back pairings, without a doubt. Its the same with Kante, originally I was kind of in two minds but hes gone to have a huge effect on this team. I know we are linked with Luke Shaw and Ryan Bertrand but these guys aren't definitely going to come here and do any better than what Marcos has, although I wouldn't be against us pursuing another left wing back (Alex Sandro would be the one for me) he cannot play every game unopposed because thats when his standards will drop (like Costa). 

4 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Saying that we should upgrade on them isn't saying that they haven't done a good job... Of course they have. But if we rest on our laurels, as we found out many, many times as CFC fans in the modern era, we go downhill.

We need better players starting if we want to be one of the best teams in the world. That's the ambition I have anyway.

Exactly, we can't just be happy with the status quo.  It's the same with how Cahill has been performing pretty well recently, but he has massive limitations.  Cahill is very poor in possession and is overly passive in defending (among other things).  Alonso is very slow and gets skinned often around the edge.  He also is sometimes a little predictable.  That is not taking away from the great things he brings to the team, because he is vital part at the moment.  

Like you said, if we are to take the next step as a team, we have to improve.

On 4/6/2017 at 8:54 PM, Miguelito said:

Exactly, we can't just be happy with the status quo.  It's the same with how Cahill has been performing pretty well recently, but he has massive limitations.  Cahill is very poor in possession and is overly passive in defending (among other things).  Alonso is very slow and gets skinned often around the edge.  He also is sometimes a little predictable.  That is not taking away from the great things he brings to the team, because he is vital part at the moment.  

Like you said, if we are to take the next step as a team, we have to improve.

How is his possession keeping skills poor? He is one of our better players with the ball and one of the more accomplished defenders in the PL at using the ball. He lost possession against Arsenal cheaply but apart from that most times you watch him, he uses the ball really well and is very calm in possession. 

On 04/04/2017 at 10:13 AM, Unionjack said:

Heres his best bit

I'm sorry bout how are we not talking more about this skill. Shows you maybe don't always need pace if futbol IQ is high. Two players left for dead with an elastico/panna .. well played lad!

On 07/04/2017 at 1:20 PM, Kieran. said:

He has improved so much since the beginning of the season. 

He being Marcos? If so I don't agree. He was a good player, and a good fit, the day we bought him and he still is. If anything has changed it's not what Marcos can do, it's the appreciation, among fans, for what he offers. Back when he was first linked, those of us supporting his arrival were in the minority so it's pleasing that he is winning people over. Pleasing because it means he's done well for us.

I'm a big fan but I remain one of those who sees room for an upgrade at LWB. My ideal scenario would be for an upgrade to arrive, but for Marcos to remain a part of the squad. That would be an immensely positive situation for us.

1 hour ago, bluesman2610 said:

I'm sorry bout how are we not talking more about this skill. Shows you maybe don't always need pace if futbol IQ is high. Two players left for dead with an elastico/panna .. well played lad!

Because in the scheme of things it's meaningless. An ability to do it doesn't make a player good. An inability to do it doesn't make a player bad. There are an awful lot of footballers who are way short of professional standard but who can do stuff like that. It's an irrelevance.

5 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

He being Marcos? If so I don't agree. He was a good player, and a good fit, the day we bought him and he still is. If anything has changed it's not what Marcos can do, it's the appreciation, among fans, for what he offers. Back when he was first linked, those of us supporting his arrival were in the minority so it's pleasing that he is winning people over. Pleasing because it means he's done well for us.

I'm a big fan but I remain one of those who sees room for an upgrade at LWB. My ideal scenario would be for an upgrade to arrive, but for Marco to remain a part of the squad. That would be an immensely positive situation for us.

Well he actually has improved. He doesn't get beat by pacy wingers as often which means his positioning and 1-on-1 defending has gotten better, and he's better in the air.