Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

3 hours ago, coolhead23 said:

Not sure if it's only me, but feel like Alonso is very underrated in the Chelsea side. Week on week, this guy is been impressive in his own way ... yes he has weakness and is not the star player like a Hazard/Costa but he comes in does his job impressively (more on the lines of Kante of last season). He puts in the work rate on the flanks, defends when needed, is on the offensive, decent in the air (feel he has improved), doesnt shy away from the physical aspect of the game, team player, has got some important goals... more importantly gives u a consistent 7.5 - 8 kind of performance. He has a much improved player as a Wing back then what he was when he started as LB. 

We keep talking about the Hazards, Costas,our Defense, Kantes but I dont think he gets much credit ... maybe I'm wrong but that's my feeling. 

Been saying this all season - but come on this forum and he's always the first to be replaced in people's wish lists. 

You want a solid team of Pros and a sprinkling of superstars - that's how you win stuff

11 superstars = prime Donna phase...

4 hours ago, coolhead23 said:

Not sure if it's only me, but feel like Alonso is very underrated in the Chelsea side. Week on week, this guy is been impressive in his own way ... yes he has weakness and is not the star player like a Hazard/Costa but he comes in does his job impressively (more on the lines of Kante of last season). He puts in the work rate on the flanks, defends when needed, is on the offensive, decent in the air (feel he has improved), doesnt shy away from the physical aspect of the game, team player, has got some important goals... more importantly gives u a consistent 7.5 - 8 kind of performance. He has a much improved player as a Wing back then what he was when he started as LB. 

We keep talking about the Hazards, Costas,our Defense, Kantes but I dont think he gets much credit ... maybe I'm wrong but that's my feeling. 

If Alonso was playing for Barca or Real everyone would be saying he is world class. There's no doubt about that. Some people still saying we need to buy James for £75M. :D 

Of course he is not a world beater but it's impossible to have 11 world class players in starting line up. People always seem to think that Barca or Real have 11 world class players. It's 100% false. Every top team is only made of some world class players.

5 hours ago, coolhead23 said:

You are right, Alonso has been amazing. It would be with a heavy heart if he was to be replaced, but he does need backup/competition.

3 hours ago, manpe said:

You are right, Alonso has been amazing. It would be with a heavy heart if he was to be replaced, but he does need backup/competition.

Competition is very much needed doesnt mind if it Alonso or Hazard, it keep the player in check and doesnt allow complacency creep in.

But yes after Stoke game, would be disappointed if he gets replaced by someone who might come with a higher price tag. 

3 minutes ago, coolhead23 said:

Competition is very much needed doesnt mind if it Alonso or Hazard, it keep the player in check and doesnt allow complacency creep in.

But yes after Stoke game, would be disappointed if he gets replaced by someone who might come with a higher price tag. 

Depends on how that would happen. If he lost out in competition for his place then fair enough, but if he gets replaced by someone simply because he didn't cost 40 million or smth then yeah that would suck. Competition is healthy as long as it's not monopoly for brands/money a la United.

Just now, manpe said:

Depends on how that would happen. If he lost out in competition for his place then fair enough, but if he gets replaced by someone simply because he didn't cost 40 million or smth then yeah that would suck.

Make sense ... I was with the notion that if his performance is consistent :) ... sorry missed it 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought he played very good in the last few weeks. His crossing is sensational, altough unfortunately we don´t have the players to utilize the. You can´t really complain about his commitment too, he gives his all every game. 

I was a little bit sceptical at first when we signed him, but I think he proved that he deserves a place in this team, be it in the starting XI or not. 

On 20/03/2017 at 2:14 PM, coolhead23 said:

Make sense ... I was with the notion that if his performance is consistent :) ... sorry missed it 

On 20/03/2017 at 2:10 PM, manpe said:

Depends on how that would happen. If he lost out in competition for his place then fair enough, but if he gets replaced by someone simply because he didn't cost 40 million or smth then yeah that would suck. Competition is healthy as long as it's not monopoly for brands/money a la United.

I normally agree with most of the comments you make and this is one.

And while I do think Alonso has been GOOD you cant tell me that we wouldn't be able to find an upgrade for him.

Hes given away some passes that he looked around 1st before he made them. He seems to run so far and thinks where the fuck am I going now, then seems to panic. He puts balls across to invisible players. Now whether those players SHOULD have been there is another question. But as they weren't he would have noticed if he looked. If he just stopped a sec for players to either get into position or pass it to someone who could.

I just think his footballing sense fails him at times.

I'm not hating on him cause when hes on hes done good.

1 hour ago, Unionjack said:

And while I do think Alonso has been GOOD you cant tell me that we wouldn't be able to find an upgrade for him.

I've never claimed on the contrary. I simply said that if he was to be replaced then hopefully as a result of fair competition, not because he isn't as famous or didn't cost as much as his direct competitor. Naturally there are upgrades available, there is an upgrade available to everyone until you reach Messi.

3 minutes ago, manpe said:

I've never claimed on the contrary. I simply said that if he was to be replaced then hopefully as a result of fair competition, not because he isn't as famous or didn't cost as much as his direct competitor. Naturally there are upgrades available, there is an upgrade available to everyone until you reach Messi.

Thats why I said I agreed with it

I dont see it as much of ''if we can' more like I think we should try.

Like Moses. Its obvious we were lost without him. Pedro nor anyone else we tried hasn't fitted. Who knows just maybe Dave might but its either not come to Conti or hes thought it and thought meh! And I'm sure he musta give it thought.

And probably 3 more.

6 hours ago, The Skipper said:

If people are satisfied with Alonso or Moses being a starter for the next few years, we'll never be a super club tbh. 

Alonso is doing great. Just because he isn't a big name he isn't good enough?
He does tricks like elasticos, whips good crosses in, defends well and can head the ball. His passing is good as well and he sometimes takes marauding runs where no one can stop him.
What is there not to be satisfied with? Because he is a little slow? He has made up for that for sure.

7 hours ago, Yeboii said:

Alonso is doing great. Just because he isn't a big name he isn't good enough?
He does tricks like elasticos, whips good crosses in, defends well and can head the ball. His passing is good as well and he sometimes takes marauding runs where no one can stop him.
What is there not to be satisfied with? Because he is a little slow? He has made up for that for sure.

We have teams like Bayern, Juve and Real who have super left backs. Why should we settle for less? You wait till we get to the CL.

In any case we should at least bring in competition for him. If someone like Alex Sandro becomes available on the market you would pass on him because we have Alonso? 

No one is saying he's a bad player. But we can improve. 

1 hour ago, The Skipper said:

We have teams like Bayern, Juve and Real who have super left backs. Why should we settle for less? You wait till we get to the CL.

In any case we should at least bring in competition for him. If someone like Alex Sandro becomes available on the market you would pass on him because we have Alonso? 

Yet again the difference is in our league.
Yes I would bring competition, just don't expect that player to play much.
Lets see how well he will do in the CL next season. He is also not old, actually pretty young. He can and will improve, as he has been doing all season.

To think we had better not too long ago, but he's back in Madrid thanks to a certain someone.

2 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Indeed and honestly, we can't read too much about teams, including us, doing well in the Premier League. We've seen in the last 6-7 years that teams do well in the Premier League but when they play in Europe - be it the Champions League or Europa League - they get horribly exposed for their shortcomings. It'll certainly be interesting to see how we fare in Europe next season, with this back 3 and the players (some like Kante, Alonso, Moses etc haven't really been tested at the very highest level).