Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

In his defense he had Cahill behind him, Hazard in front, and Fabregas next to him against Man City who were clearly intent on attacking down that side. Yes he struggled, but so did moses on the right side. Cahill was not much help plus without matic next to him he was left on an island 2v1 against KDB and Navas. I don't think he played especially well but as i have said in the past he is serviceable, hard working, and a good soldier. I agree with everyone in that we definitely need to bring someone in to be competition/challenge/replace him. But he can play LCB, LWB and has a good attitude. I like him and think he has been a good purchase in the context of the market and where we were.

On 11/6/2016 at 9:22 PM, Kieran. said:

How are people complaining about his defensive skills when we literally haven't conceded ONE goal with him in the side. 

I think even you actually understand, it isnt about how many we conceded goal.
But how many opponent player succesfully send dangerous cross into our box from alonso's side
or How many opponent player able to beat him at the left side

Probably nobody talking trash to alonso, slagging him or etc.
But Alonso being CONSTANT TARGET by opponent team, that is what concern some of us who critics him 

Also in my opinion, alonso is one of the reason why we still struggling when oppenent press us highly.
Alonso is another player who looks awkward when get presses and his lack of dynamism and mobility hold back our team even more.

I dont think he is bad player, i like him as a player
He almost try his best in every matches, have decent technique, good when supporting attack.
But if we want to become GREAT team, sadly to say we absolutely need better leftback

I think the speed of the English game exposes his deficiencies a lot more and his qualities suits a slower league like Serie A. He could still make a solid LB in a back 4 but the LWB position exposes his lack of real pace, dynamism and agility. I think we overpaid for him and could only recoup half of his fee but we were left in a desperate situation so got owned for it.

Need to plan ahead and look to bring in a world class LWB or try develop Kennedy a solid WB like Conte did with Moses.

7 minutes ago, Parky said:

I think the speed of the English game exposes his deficiencies a lot more and his qualities suits a slower league like Serie A. He could still make a solid LB in a back 4 but the LWB position exposes his lack of real pace, dynamism and agility. I think we overpaid for him and could only recoup half of his fee but we were left in a desperate situation so got owned for it.

Need to plan ahead and look to bring in a world class LWB or try develop Kennedy a solid WB like Conte did with Moses.

I think Alonso would be even worse in a back four. He'll have only two centerbacks as cover instead of three.

hSS3ayP.jpg

DLsBCOA.jpg

From City's passing images above, it's clear he's been targeted now because of his lack of pace and cahill's poor one on one ability. Hazard too is more forward than Pedro/willian on the other side too, so adding fabregas close to him was just overkill. 

2 hours ago, Parky said:

Also looks like the absence of Matic made it far worse for Alonso. Look at Cesc not even covering either Sliva or De Bryune.

It might be the absence of Matic but it might also simply be that city have a quality collection of footballers. In other words, we don't have  enough evidence to show whether things would've been better if Matic had been in the team on Saturday.

I was strongly in favour of Alonso's signing. I think he has given us improved stability when we are in possession and that this has made a big difference to our effectiveness going forward as well as at the back. Of course he doesn't get all of the credit for that increased stability in possession; Victor has given us just as much of an improvement on the right hand side.

Between them they've made a big, big contribution to our turnaround  but we do need upgrades. I like Alonso a lot but we should urgently be looking for someone that gives us the  same quality of continuity play,  but with more to offer defensively. if we find that person, and Marcus is prepared to live with the role of a back up, then that would be a very significant improvement to the squad.

6 minutes ago, Fernando said:

Do you think Ricardo Rodriguez might be an improvement?

I'm not a fan.

I first saw him a number of times when KDB was on loan at Bremen, then I watched him a few times when he was being linked with us. The opinion I formed then was that he is overrated so I wouldn't be excited if he was signed. Certainly I would be a lot less positive than I was when we signed Marcos.

I think some of this is a bit unfair.  Yes, he wasn't excellent, but I don't necessarily think he was "targeted" per se.

City overloaded the (their) right side of the pitch in order to get De Bruyne just inside the flank (right half space, I suppose).  Navas out wide and Silva just inside to occupy Alonso and Cahill respectively.  So De Bruyne would effectively be able to whip in crosses because there would be some marking issues and he would have time on the ball.

This stopped when Hazard dropped deeper to fill the space.  

In the 343, this is a soft spot.  Unfortunately, for City, in order for them to do this, they left themselves exposed at the back.

This is the same reason that I laugh at the "lucky" comments (not necessarily on this forum).  Sure, KDB misses and it's a turning point.  But, they don't get those chances without committing forward like they did, and thus, leave themselves completely exposed at the back.  Didn't score got punished.  Those were the only two scenarios that could happen. 

Think the club missed a trick in the summer by not trying to sign Raphael Guerreiro from Lorient. He was brilliant in the French Ligue and joined Dortmund early in the window for 8 mil IIRC. There are other options Jonas Hector but Guerreiro is more suited to the 3-4-3 we play. 

I think the club needs to look into this position in January. Is there anyone who can fill in for Alonso if he is unavailable?