Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

On 24/10/2016 at 4:55 PM, Tomo said:

I'm not sure if he is starting quality long term, but as has been alluded to he has allowed us to change to a formation which probably with no exaggeration has saved our season, so for that reason alone the price for him was a steel.

*steal 😂😂😂😂

2 hours ago, Barbara said:

how did I miss this celebration fail? LOL look at Costa's reaction

tumblr_ofvbzdcow21shaydvo5_r1_500.gif

I still don't think he is as bad as people make him out to be although he's far frm anything special.

I think he is not bad at all. He might not be outstanding star, but he is definately a team player. IMO his work rate is underrated and he covers alot of ground, balancing the team.

Put a fancy player instead of him and you get some tricks, but space that they wont cover.

There is no coincidence that we play much better now with Alonso and Moses, two "average players" instead of fancy players. 

8 hours ago, Barbara said:

how did I miss this celebration fail? LOL look at Costa's reaction

tumblr_ofvbzdcow21shaydvo5_r1_500.gif

I still don't think he is as bad as people make him out to be although he's far frm anything special.

That's it. I've seen enough, he can't even do a proper celebration. Loan him out (to Sunderland so he can save their arses again) come January.
:rant:

1 hour ago, Mustafa said:

Completely disagree. I think he's got a peach of a left foot. Immense technique. The chance we had towards the end of 1st half where Pedro turned immaculately was all started with a Zidane esque touch from Marcos. If there's one thing you can't dispute is his technique in my opinion. Wouldn't be surprised if he pops in a free kick for us in the near future.. lad has got a class left foot

Yeah he should be taking free kicks with that left foot. And I totally agree with you on technique, he is fenomenal.

Let me be more accurate on my view of him - so you know what it means, big wall post.

I think he does well in the attack for us. Crosses aren't simple things to do and he has some good crosses on him, as pointed out the chances he created for Moses at the end of the first half and for Costa in the second. The cross for Moses was Cesc esque, a cross and a through ball all in one. You can't ignore his vision to do it, it was clear to me he wasn't aiming Costa because in two other occasions during the match he aimed the running guy coming in, not the one already in the box (in the vid above at 3:27, and the ball for Costa on 5:15). So he's a FB with vision and that's not so easy to find.So if I were to rate his crosses, I'd give him a solid 7.5.

He moves well in the attack as well, and he makes a good partnership with Eden, better than the any other FB/WB we had since Eden is here imo because might as he want, Azpili is a monster, but he isn't that impressive supporting an attacker. He does the basic well, but I think Alonso does it way better. So attack link up I'd give him another 7.

Now the biggest concern regarding a FB/WB in a physical league such as the PL is always going to be defensive skills and while I think he lacks some, I also believe we should give him time to adapt. He seems a little bit gangly or clumsy, but I think it's because of his tall stature and thin built. At first it might look like he's easily bullied, but he isn't because he won't give up the ball easily. There were at least two fouls the referee called yesterday where he was shoved on the pitch and still he tried and completed the pass - one of them in the second he could have set up a good attack but the referee was too anxious to call the foul. That's the mark of a player that will not let someone get the ball away from him easily. But talking about his ability to bully opponents and not be bullied, I think he can improve on that, of course, and he isn't a strong guy by any standards, but he isn't as bad as people make him out to be. I do believe that's the area he has more room for improvement, but he's young, he's new at the league we must not make the same mistake José did with Luis, we must cut him some slack and allow him time to adapt and improve. EPL is always going to be a tough league for foreign defenders to adapt.

Also in another brilliant move by Conte, instead of having the guy that might be prone to mistakes being protected, like Luiz, once again our master decides to do the opposite and makes the guy that needs protection the guy who actually protects other. It's a brilliant move. If someone isn't good enough for whatever reasons to be the reference in defense instead of bringing half a team to protect those guys (like we've seen Mourinho and others before him do it to Ivanovic, Cahill, Cesc, Mata and others millions times), Conte capitalizes on their limited ability to defend, so instead of offering support for those guys, Conte made those guys the ones that offer support. When Alonso is defending Cahill isn't that far away. We all know Cahill's limitations and I don't deny any of them, quite the opposite, but he is used to the league, so Conte put an experienced player behind Alonso to eventually cover his messes in case he fails to mark his man properly.

I just have ONE huge problem with Alonso's defending and is exactly the same thing Cahill masters at: he backs away from players instead of closing the gap and tackling them. More than once I was momentarily mistaken thinking it was Cahill executing the backing when it was actually Alonso himself. I don't know if that's fixable, but we have an Italian managing the team, so if it's possible to fix, Conte is just the right man to do it.

So when h is static I give his defending a 6, but when he's in the run, because of his tendency to run backwards and back away, I give him a 4.5 with som concerns but because of the formation, he will rarely be in this position, so I don't think it's something that will cost us much at the moment.

So let's give the lad some time for him to grow as a player, to adapt better to the league and to mature his game. Let's not forget defenders normally take more time to become their best version of themselves because rarely they are technical like Luiz for example or just natural skilled like Terry. Most of them take time to learn how to defend properly and that's the good thing about defending, it's easier to learn than attacking because it relies less on technique imo. A disciplined defender can be amazing even if he isn't a gifted one. I think Alonso can be the man for the job, while being aware he isn't anything special, but incredibly useful and if he continues his development and doesn't stagnate maybe he can be even more than that.

I think this lad is immensely talented. It's his technique and passing ability that impresses me the most. He also can and will get past opposition players. You can never go wrong with this type of player. 

I'm glad the board and Antonio are investing in players like him. Enough of a squad that can't even do the basics; ball control, one-touch passing, etc. 

12 hours ago, Mustafa said:

Completely disagree. I think he's got a peach of a left foot. Immense technique. The chance we had towards the end of 1st half where Pedro turned immaculately was all started with a Zidane esque touch from Marcos. If there's one thing you can't dispute is his technique in my opinion. Wouldn't be surprised if he pops in a free kick for us in the near future.. lad has got a class left foot

Hmm when I say technically - I'm referring to his overall game - not his 'technical' aspect of left foot.

he will make mistakes and cost goals - but hey, who doesn't :)

like I have said before- I really like him and love his work rate and attitude - I hope he spends some time with Dave who can help on all aspects of his defending :) making him technically an overall better player :)

nice to to see a bargain perform well - between him and Azpi - absolute steal :)

• 2 weeks later...

Was surprised we signed him but boy has he been excellent since coming into the team.

Moses is getting a huge amount of praise but I think Alonso has been even better, excellent engine, technically sound and has a great cross on him, always puts it in to great areas. I am also surprised how strong he is in the air (although he is 6ft or there about) because he has quite a slight build but he gets up well and you often see he has a similar role to what Ivanovic had for when we are playing out/at goalkicks, if we have to go long and play aerially to get a knock down, he is quite often a target and normally wins it. 

If he keeps playing well he could get a call up for Spain for the next international break next year I think, they've been experimenting with 3-4-3 in some matches and he could probably slot in at LB with ease in that team.