test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spike

3. Marcos Alonso

Started by Spike,

546 posts in this topic
3 hours ago, Despiadado.Maleante said:

I am already fearing what Salah will do to him.

Agreed, he doesn't need another manslaughter charge.

Not trying to be an 'I told you so' but I just hope my previous comments about him being overrated (*was overrated as I now believe people are starting to realise how average he is) are qualified now. Scroll back 3 pages to when I first mentioned it and it's full of the usual fallacies about how great he is going forward, or that he's a great technician. A travesty he's ended up being our only option at LWB. Absolutely no surprise most teams target our left side these days.

kellzfresh, Leif and The Skipper like this

On 9/19/2016 at 2:59 PM, Leif said:

I hope an asteroid breaks his foot & he only ever plays for us in a charity match, in dedication to Ivanovic, fully immobilised by the asteroid 

I'm with you ^^^

Masuaku today caught my attention against City. His close control while dribbling and ability to beat the press single-handedly was very impressive, something I can never expect Alonso to do. We should sign him in January because we don't have anyone to rotate with Alonso anyway (He's better than Alonso) and downgrade him to the bench next season with hopefully a top class lwb.

My sentiment regarding this fella will always stay the same. Decent player, should never be the actual starting LB in the team though. 

regardless of how you feel about him, being good enough or not, he's been poor lately and def not as good as last season. 

No need to say, wingbacks are the greatest problem Chelsea have got, and to be honest, with the current formation with which Chelsea play, the wingbacks should be the strongest positions, because those dictate how much the opposition's wingers would be influential and how much width to the attack would be provided. And it's just glaring how much this was emphasized in the game with Liverpool. Chelsea need a better LWB and a better RWB. Because what we have got right now are amazing backups, but not first team quality.

ja1 likes this

When Chels manage to get a left wingback, I'd love to see him at on the left of the back three. Actually think he could find a new home in that position. On the flank he's hindered by his physical limitations but I do think he possesses the defensive nous to play at the back.

Azpilicueta - Christensen - Alonso

That back-line would improve the overall quality of the build-up play from the back, which in turn would help elongate the effectiveness of the three CB system. He could also provide that bit of unpredictability like Azpilicueta does so well on the right. The few games (in a full season) which absolutely require more physicality would be the ideal time to call on either Cahill or Rudiger.

The Skipper and jernej93 like this

2 hours ago, DYC. said:

When Chels manage to get a left wingback, I'd love to see him at on the left of the back three. Actually think he could find a new home in that position. On the flank he's hindered by his physical limitations but I do think he possesses the defensive nous to play at the back.

That back-line would improve the overall quality of the build-up play from the back, which in turn would help elongate the effectiveness of the three CB system. He could also provide that bit of unpredictability like Azpilicueta does so well on the right. The few games (in a full season) which absolutely require more physicality would be the ideal time to call on either Cahill or Rudiger.

...no. What 'defensive nous' exactly . Would rather see JCS, Rudiger, Cahill, Zouma..then trying to shoehorn Marcos Alonso, of all players, into our starting XI

2 hours ago, DYC. said:

That would just make our defence slow and immobile. Will be even worse than Cahill-Christensen-Azpi.

Pretty good in the air and would be able to swing in the Azpi-style crosses from the LCB position as well.

Either way, good squad player to have, but we desperately need another LWB.

We have Christensen, Rudiger, Azpilicueta, Luiz and Cahill, and some of you still want this guy at the back three? Am I missing something?

He is not strong, not so mobile, his defensive skills (positioning, blocking, sliding, marking) are also very very questionable. It's beyond me that anyone would want him at the back three.

Beigl and ja1 like this

52 minutes ago, El P. said:

We have Christensen, Rudiger, Azpilicueta, Luiz and Cahill, and some of you still want this guy at the back three? Am I missing something?

He is not strong, not so mobile, his defensive skills (positioning, blocking, sliding, marking) are also very very questionable. It's beyond me that anyone would want him at the back three.

Not to mention that we need some physicality when it comes to corners for example. Christensen and Azpilicueta are very good defenders, but not really strong players. Alonso would weaken us in that regard even further if he comes in for Cahill or Rudiger.

Problem with Alonso is he's just 'alright' and this team needs high quality wing backs if we are to really push on.

In an ideal world he doesn't get near starting if we had a complete LWB and this needs addressing ASAP and I don't mean another middle of the road Joe that 'can do a job'

He offers us a balance with being naturally left footed but that doesn't mask his pure inability to do the basics right.

Problem with Alonso is he's just 'alright' and this team needs high quality wing backs if we are to really push on.
In an ideal world he doesn't get near starting if we had a complete LWB and this needs addressing ASAP and I don't mean another middle of the road Joe that 'can do a job'
He offers us a balance with being naturally left footed but that doesn't mask his pure inability to do the basics right.
Hmm i on the other hand think he does the basics right, but barely anything more. We need someone who can do more than just the basics.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Miguelito likes this

He is super super efficient in attack. Thats something it should be valued very highly. But his speed and defending are very poor... 

We definately need another first team LB and those two can then have healthy competition. 

Im just dissapointed, when there was plenty of Sandro talk in august, Alonso was on fire, then he just dropped level after window closed...

1 hour ago, BlueLyon said:

He is super super efficient in attack. Thats something it should be valued very highly. But his speed and defending are very poor... 

We definately need another first team LB and those two can then have healthy competition. 

Im just dissapointed, when there was plenty of Sandro talk in august, Alonso was on fire, then he just dropped level after window closed...

yeah get a faster LB and move Alonso to the middle - transition should not be difficult considering his passing and overall technique is good. Can be cover for both positions... done thousand times before.

Now do we want defensive LB in our current 3 cb formation? That usually doesn't work. Sandro of course is a top player, so that's going to a diff signing.