test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spike

3. Marcos Alonso

Started by Spike,

544 posts in this topic
On 4/4/2017 at 7:04 AM, The Skipper said:

If people are satisfied with Alonso or Moses being a starter for the next few years, we'll never be a super club tbh. 

If they are performing like they are why not? For me the best teams have always been teams, not 11 world class individual players (has there ever been a team of 11 individuals?), although one of the big reasons why 3-4-3 has worked this season in my eyes is because of those two, along with Luiz's development and Kante's energy. You can talk about Hazard, Pedro, Willian, etc but without Victor and Marcos being out wide making the pitch as wide as possible in attacking phases those guys wouldn't have as much of the space or freedom they have to operate, I mean imagine if we didn't play 3-4-3 and Hazard was stuck out at left wing again being doubled up every game? Or Willian or Pedro had the same? These guys being out on the touchline gives these other guys the chance to play closer to the forward as opposed to the touch line. Their defensive contribution too also means Hazard and Willian/Pedro dont need to be as concerned about the opposition fullback going by them either. Sure they aren't maybe glamorous options or have world record fees but I'd have those two ahead of some of the other top 4 clubs full back/wing back pairings, without a doubt. Its the same with Kante, originally I was kind of in two minds but hes gone to have a huge effect on this team. I know we are linked with Luke Shaw and Ryan Bertrand but these guys aren't definitely going to come here and do any better than what Marcos has, although I wouldn't be against us pursuing another left wing back (Alex Sandro would be the one for me) he cannot play every game unopposed because thats when his standards will drop (like Costa). 

kellzfresh likes this

4 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Saying that we should upgrade on them isn't saying that they haven't done a good job... Of course they have. But if we rest on our laurels, as we found out many, many times as CFC fans in the modern era, we go downhill.

We need better players starting if we want to be one of the best teams in the world. That's the ambition I have anyway.

Exactly, we can't just be happy with the status quo.  It's the same with how Cahill has been performing pretty well recently, but he has massive limitations.  Cahill is very poor in possession and is overly passive in defending (among other things).  Alonso is very slow and gets skinned often around the edge.  He also is sometimes a little predictable.  That is not taking away from the great things he brings to the team, because he is vital part at the moment.  

Like you said, if we are to take the next step as a team, we have to improve.

The Skipper likes this

On 4/6/2017 at 8:54 PM, Miguelito said:

Exactly, we can't just be happy with the status quo.  It's the same with how Cahill has been performing pretty well recently, but he has massive limitations.  Cahill is very poor in possession and is overly passive in defending (among other things).  Alonso is very slow and gets skinned often around the edge.  He also is sometimes a little predictable.  That is not taking away from the great things he brings to the team, because he is vital part at the moment.  

Like you said, if we are to take the next step as a team, we have to improve.

How is his possession keeping skills poor? He is one of our better players with the ball and one of the more accomplished defenders in the PL at using the ball. He lost possession against Arsenal cheaply but apart from that most times you watch him, he uses the ball really well and is very calm in possession. 

OhForAGreavsie likes this

On 04/04/2017 at 10:13 AM, Unionjack said:

Heres his best bit

I'm sorry bout how are we not talking more about this skill. Shows you maybe don't always need pace if futbol IQ is high. Two players left for dead with an elastico/panna .. well played lad!

Stats and the wes like this

On 07/04/2017 at 1:20 PM, Kieran. said:

He has improved so much since the beginning of the season. 

He being Marcos? If so I don't agree. He was a good player, and a good fit, the day we bought him and he still is. If anything has changed it's not what Marcos can do, it's the appreciation, among fans, for what he offers. Back when he was first linked, those of us supporting his arrival were in the minority so it's pleasing that he is winning people over. Pleasing because it means he's done well for us.

I'm a big fan but I remain one of those who sees room for an upgrade at LWB. My ideal scenario would be for an upgrade to arrive, but for Marcos to remain a part of the squad. That would be an immensely positive situation for us.

Muzchap, manpe, Unionjack and 1 other like this

1 hour ago, bluesman2610 said:

I'm sorry bout how are we not talking more about this skill. Shows you maybe don't always need pace if futbol IQ is high. Two players left for dead with an elastico/panna .. well played lad!

Because in the scheme of things it's meaningless. An ability to do it doesn't make a player good. An inability to do it doesn't make a player bad. There are an awful lot of footballers who are way short of professional standard but who can do stuff like that. It's an irrelevance.

5 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

He being Marcos? If so I don't agree. He was a good player, and a good fit, the day we bought him and he still is. If anything has changed it's not what Marcos can do, it's the appreciation, among fans, for what he offers. Back when he was first linked, those of us supporting his arrival were in the minority so it's pleasing that he is winning people over. Pleasing because it means he's done well for us.

I'm a big fan but I remain one of those who sees room for an upgrade at LWB. My ideal scenario would be for an upgrade to arrive, but for Marco to remain a part of the squad. That would be an immensely positive situation for us.

Well he actually has improved. He doesn't get beat by pacy wingers as often which means his positioning and 1-on-1 defending has gotten better, and he's better in the air.

Stats and Mufassir08 like this

5 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Because in the scheme of things it's meaningless. An ability to do it doesn't make a player good. An inability to do it doesn't make a player bad. There are an awful lot of footballers who are way short of professional standard but who can do stuff like that. It's an irrelevance.

Thats exactly how I see both him and Moses. They both do a very adequate job for us and and I really hope they both stay to both push and fight for a place and give much needed backup. They would continue to be relevant

King11Didier likes this

7 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Still think you missed my point the skill in itself is a part of it but the bigger point is that Marcos has a High futbol IQ. Technical ability and tactical awareness is a huge part of that. What he lacks in maybe pure physical prowess (pace) he makes up for by knowing where to be to support in attack and in defence. The fact that he could pull that skill off verses 2 players was just a bonus cherry on top .. but thanks for the reply:)

Stats likes this

40 minutes ago, bluesman2610 said:

Still think you missed my point the skill in itself is a part of it but the bigger point is that Marcos has a High futbol IQ. Technical ability and tactical awareness is a huge part of that. What he lacks in maybe pure physical prowess (pace) he makes up for by knowing where to be to support in attack and in defence. The fact that he could pull that skill off verses 2 players was just a bonus cherry on top .. but thanks for the reply:)

Well we fully agree about Marcos. I'm a big fan of his.

I replied as I did because you asked, "I'm sorry b[o]ut how are we not talking more about this skill", so I hope you see why I thought you were talking particularly about the skill.

7 minutes ago, Kieran. said:

He is so fucking good at FKs from that area and distance. Wow. 2 crossbars and 1 goal in 3 attempts.

His left foot is the best kept secret in world football lol. Amazing crosses and free kicks. 

Fernando, Stats and 11Drogba like this

21 minutes ago, Kieran. said:

He is so fucking good at FKs from that area and distance. Wow. 2 crossbars and 1 goal in 3 attempts.

spot on. great technique and what an important goal. bends it like bekcham with power brecicison, curl and curve. 

Stats likes this

Such an underrated player. A real unsung hero. He has his critics but I am a real big fan of his. Utilizes his strengths well and despite not being the fastest, he manages to get forward so much times because he like typical Spaniards, is very smart in their play. Good defender too. 5 goals for the season. Brilliant for a LWB in his first season :clap:

Chelsea? likes this

26 minutes ago, !Hazard! said:

His left foot is the best kept secret in world football lol. Amazing crosses and free kicks. 

Disagree with the crossing. He's a decent crosser. His FKs have been good. Not much to go by though.

Great goal. Keep it coming if possible.

Miguelito likes this

How is his possession keeping skills poor? He is one of our better players with the ball and one of the more accomplished defenders in the PL at using the ball. He lost possession against Arsenal cheaply but apart from that most times you watch him, he uses the ball really well and is very calm in possession. 

the following is about Cahill....I definitely disagree with that.

I think that he often just has a lot of time and space when he gets the ball. He always makes the simple pass either to a center mid or to Luiz or to Alonso on the left. That's about it. But when he doesn't have that space to dribble the ball into or the time to make simplest of passes, he greatly struggles. If he is under any type of pressure he often boots it away, he definitely isn't calm in those situations. There are times and every single game where he should be keeping the ball, but is not comfortable enough to do so.

There's also times where he needs to make a more advancing pass, but he only makes the simple short pass because that is what he's comfortable with and is able to do. He really limits us in possession

Unionjack and DYC. like this