Chelsea 2-1 West Ham

Jase

2 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

Post match presser from Bilic was classy. Humble and dignified and defeat, admitted that we dominated majority of the game and that we probably deserved the result AND said that Costa's challenge on Adrien isn't really a talking point. Very classy guy. 

Very nice guy... one from tens...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First ten minutes were bad, after that it was all Chelsea till their lucky equalizer and at 1-1 I loved the passion and drive to score that winning goal. This kind of hunger to succeed was non-existent last season, the real Chelsea is now well and truly back with Antonio Conte. In attack some link-up play was still a little bit rusty but given time I think it will get immensely better. Hazard looks his best again and Kanté is huge in midfield, his tackles and interceptions will allow fast counter-attacks where players like Hazard, Willian and Pedro thrive.

Defense, apart from a couple lapses in concentration, was really good and for the first 80 minutes West Ham didn't even register a shot on target. Ivanovic for all the stick he has been given was great today, credit when due. 

This Chelsea side looked a lot more ready than either of the Manchester teams in their own games so keep that in mind when criticizing any negative aspects of today's performance.

9 minutes ago, Fernando said:

That's what seemed to me. Same Chelsea of last season. 

We only improve because of Kante, but that's only one signing and it's not enough. 

With respect what the hell are you on about? We totally dominated the game, West Ham had one half opportunity and netted.

The attacking play was the best it's been since late 2014, the pressing was good considering Conte didn't go hammer and tongs to protect that back four.

I'm not saying all problems are over, but this is the best we have played for a long, long time.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

With respect what the hell are you on about? We totally dominated the game, West Ham had one half opportunity and netted.

The attacking play was the best it's been since late 2014, the pressing was good considering Conte didn't go hammer and tongs to protect that back four.

I'm not saying all problems are over, but this is the best we have played for a long, long time.

Dominating possession doesn't mean much. How many clear cut chances were we creating ? We were clearly out of ideas. Costa just rescued two points on his own. 

1 minute ago, The Skipper said:

Fully agreed, can't fault our pressing game. When we get a little bit slicker going forward we're going to be a problem. Good to see you backing the manager mate. Next step - remove that Jose avatar. ;)

You do have a point there, when everything clicks into gear, sky is the limit, good thing is i already like the current attacking play, there're variations and the objective  is set on goal, looked a bit like a video game the way guys like Willian or Hazard carried the ball forward, you could smell the danger all the time. Conte seems to fully buy into this club, antics are crazy. Can't fold a guy for stuff like this, despite some personal grudges.

The style of play is fecking sexy, most convincing performance from the Premier League clubs so far, imo. If you like football, you have to appreciate today's game, it's not all about goals, goals will come when you go down this road.

One thing that bugs me a bit, i expect from someone like Pedro more when he took that shot. He really should have done better, i know what he can do, imo.
But credit to the team that they created opportunities, step by step and the first step has been taken. Chelsea know how to get in these kind of positions time and again, that's the good and more important thing.

all those moaners on here are absolute pr**ks, what we saw tonight was a huge improvement on last season, and those last two substitutions were tactically brilliant, it made us attack more and produced a result, last season after the eqauliser we would have crumbled, so if you don't like it f**k off to Man Utd, as the person who has gone there seems to like criticising us as as well, even though we backed him all the way.....

Just now, nono said:

Dominating possession doesn't mean much. How many clear cut chances were we creating ? We were clearly out of ideas. Costa just rescued two points on his own. 

That will come, we weren't going to go from what we saw last season to champagne football over night, plus Adrian made three top saves, if it weren't for him game would have been over by time Collins scored.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

That will come, we weren't going to go from what we saw last season to champagne football over night, plus Adrian made three top saves, if it weren't for him game would have been over by time Collins scored.

I can't be too happy when Willian, Oscar and Matic still play for us. They're still as woeful as ever. More negatives than positives for me from the game. Kante was good though.

11 minutes ago, nono said:

I can't be too happy when Willian, Oscar and Matic still play for us. They're still as woeful as ever. More negatives than positives for me from the game. Kante was good though.

Come on dude. Do you not understand our team is very limited with the back line that we have? We can't go out guns blazing with Ivanovic, Cahill and JT at the back. It holds us back. When we get in defenders and Zouma comes back we'll be more adventurous. Don't forget, West Ham are also actually a very decent team with a good manager. You're being unrealistic if you expected us to carve them open time and time again. We are still a work in process. 

It was a good performance in midfield where we dominated. We weren't crisp going forward but the pattern of play is there - intense wing play, lots of movement... When it clicks it'll be exciting. Just be patient and at least give Conte a chance to mold his team. 

Finally we played like we should, the boss of the match, maybe you will not agree with me but i think the weaker player was costa, yes he scored a goal but made so much mistakes, was selfish,bad technique,Could not handle the ball in some cases and worst still acting like crazy man on the pitch. hazard was great, The most surprising for me was oscar and matic, this is what box to box player is all about, ya they both need to improve accuracy of ball delivery, but still they played really good, oscar made some tackle and running i have never saw from him, kante was great as well, was weak in the first 5 min but after that was great, azpi great work on the side, even iva was not that bad, but still i was thinking while the match if we had over there a really good RB it was amazing, maybe conte needed to made subs 15 min earlier but still he did a great job no doubt about it, chelsea are fun to watch, i still don't like pedro, and unfortunately in the few min moses played he showed that he can pass players only in pre season, i hope he will be better because i like this player.. hope to see chalobah on the bench next game because this guy deserve a chance, had a great pre season, if you ask me sell pedro and let cuadrado show if he worth something. waited so much for this match and it was worth it!

First things first WHam was crap tonight. That being said they were so poor because we did brilliantly to contain them with our pressing and tightening the midfield. Kante and esp Matic were absolutely relentless in their tackling and closing down. Also Cahill won about every header against that Carroll Donkey. 

On the downside we could not put the game to bed because we failed to create many clear chances and scuffed the ones we had resulting in the equaliser as always. But instead of giving up we pressed on and our individual brilliance and the belief therein got us over the line.

The hunger and fighting spirit we are already showing has me buzzing for the season. I observed some interesting aspects about the individual players performances which I will cover  more deeply in their threads: jt and iva did not perform as badly as we feared but they both lost even more pace as expected which was obvious today. So kudos to Cahill and azpi who made some really important challenges on the run. Even though both were indirectly at fault for the equaliser you can't really blame them since they practically both were fouled at the free kick and goal respectively.

Was curious what fans of other clubs are saying about us and just had a look over on RAWK. Almost every one of those inbred Scouse mutants are saying how "average, boring and poor" we looked. Proof they don't know a thing about football.

Guess they like conceding 3 to Arsenal's B team and nearly throwing away a 4-1 lead. Idiots. :D

Loved the intensity and the pressing game. Players looked like rabbid dogs, always first at the ball, always high up the pitch looking to cut the passing channels and recover the ball as quick as possible. There is this hunger that I haven't seen in Chelsea for a long time, long it may continue. Clearly there is no way they can keep the same explosive rhythm throughout the whole season, but having no European competition is a blessing in disguise for Conte in his 1st season. Up the Blues oh and West Ham was rubbish, a draw would have been a totally undeserved result.