Chelsea 2-3 Real Madrid

Jase

7 minutes ago, Essien19 said:

What's up with Miazga? Bought him but is never given a fair chance, don't know why...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

He seemed over matched the few times he played last year. Probably needs more work to be a serious threat to play.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Essien19 said:

What's up with Miazga? Bought him but is never given a fair chance, don't know why...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Yet another pointless buy. Just like Hector, just like Djilobodji, just like Pato, just like Falcao, just like Pedro. Awful abysmal signings.

Cant imagine we'll ever see Miazga in a first team shirt again if we sign a new CB.

4 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Yet another pointless buy. Just like Hector, just like Djilobodji, just like Pato, just like Falcao, just like Pedro. Awful abysmal signings.

Cant imagine we'll ever see Miazga in a first team shirt again if we sign a new CB.

Falcao was a "free" loan I think. You are correct on the others. I keep holding out hope Pedro will put together consistently but am losing hope.

And?@Chelsea Buzz

He's still young, has a nice body and looked promising in a few matches in the MLS. I think there's more to gain from him than from Cahill...

Papy played decent for Bremen in the Bundesliga which isn't a joke league. For about 5 mil. not that bad, imo.

I like that Conte is playing the likes of Loftus-Cheek, Aina and Chalobah. There must be something wrong with Miazga, don't know what, maybe you both have a point, still, i would like to see him in action...

just when I am starting to enjoy watching my team again this bad negative Chelsea returns to make me cry again.

I am disappointed with Conte.

I can see that Managers who manage us are cursed or something making the same mistakes over and over again.

Get rid of Oscar ASAP (I would love for someone to argue why he deserves another season here) and throw more money at Niangolann. We need more dynamism in midfield. That or give time to Chalobah. Fabregas has always been a half season player and we need others who can make up for Matic's slowness and one-footed play. 

Defence is a travesty in all honesty. It's been like that now for a long time. I don't even know where to start.

32 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Don't forget Baba Rahman. As soon as a manager gets a look at him, they want to send him to some far away land where he's never seen again. And he wasn't cheap either.

1 hour ago, nono said:

CB should have been top priority this season but we've signed a new striker and a midfielder before doing anything for CB. At this point I hope we just pay Roma/Valencia/Napoli whatever they want. Losing a couple million pounds is way better than how much we'll suffer if we go into the season without a new defender. Terry and Cahill are both way past it.

I might be the odd one out here but that's one of the main reasons, if not the main reason, why I wasn't too excited about Terry getting a new contract. Sure, his experience and leadership is invaluable to the team but apart from that, he can't really produce week in week out at the highest level anymore, not if/when we are looking to build a new approach in our playing style. But now that he's staying for another season, it looks like he'll continue playing in the first team and affect how we play particularly in defence etc.

37 minutes ago, Chelsea Buzz said:

He seemed over matched the few times he played last year. Probably needs more work to be a serious threat to play.

To be fair, it was only one game against Swansea. And it makes even less sense not to have seen him play more when you see the more experienced players got embarrassed week in week out last season (e.g. Ivanovic!).

23 minutes ago, Essien19 said:

And?@Chelsea Buzz

He's still young, has a nice body and looked promising in a few matches in the MLS. I think there's more to gain from him than from Cahill...

That sounded so wrong.

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

I might be the odd one out here but that's one of the main reasons, if not the main reason, why I wasn't too excited about Terry getting a new contract. Sure, his experience and leadership is invaluable to the team but apart from that, he can't really produce week in week out at the highest level anymore, not if/when we are looking to build a new approach in our playing style. But now that he's staying for another season, it looks like he'll continue playing in the first team and affect how we play particularly in defence etc.

This is what everyone was expecting with JT. That he would be a rotational player. Seems as though he'll continue as the main man. Unless he has one hell of a partner back there it'll be suicidal.

Did you see Cahill get shit on by a 17 year old today? How many times in these 3 matches that a simple pass in between our CB's is disastrous? There's no recovery pace at all. 

Just now, Pizy said:

This is what everyone was expecting with JT. That he would be a rotational player. Seems as though he'll continue as the main man. Unless he has one hell of a partner back there it'll be suicidal.

Did you see Cahill get shit on by a 17 year old today? How many times in these 3 matches that a simple pass in between our CB's is disastrous? There's no recovery pace at all. 

I can't imagine Conte, being an Italian manager and all, would be impressed by our defending really. It's atrocious! If he has his way, he would probably replace the entire back 4 but sadly, our transfer strategy seems to be all over the place right now. :rant:

I might be wrong but as slow as he is, I don't think Terry has less pace than Barzagli, who is a really elite defender still these days, thanks to Conte.

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

I can't imagine Conte, being an Italian manager and all, would be impressed by our defending really. It's atrocious! If he has his way, he would probably replace the entire back 4 but sadly, our transfer strategy seems to be all over the place right now. :rant:

True. I think Conte has probably given our negotiators a list of 3 or 4 top class CB targets and we've gone to their clubs and been quoted such high prices that we're refusing to pay thus far. 

What makes so little sense is how we've spent £33m on one striker and apparently bid £50m or more on two others (Morata & Lukaku) yet we won't just go to Napoli and pay up what they're asking for for Koulibaly. Or go to Juventus with £45m and make them say no for Bonucci. Or go to Roma and pay what it takes to get Manolas. 

So odd. Maybe if we get spanked and exposed again in the next couple of preseason games the club will panic and pay up. You would think a whole 38 game season last year would be enough to spark them into action, but apparently not.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

To be fair, it was only one game against Swansea. And it makes even less sense not to have seen him play more when you see the more experienced players got embarrassed week in week out last season (e.g. Ivanovic!).

That sounded so wrong.

I remember two, pretty meh in 4-0 romp over Aston Villa and then shaky vs Swansea.

I am certain if he was better or even close, Conte would get him the game considering our crappy back line.

interesting match that showed the gulf that separates (most of) the youngsters from (most of) the senior members.

the match would've been a lot more entertaining had the clubs agreed to play the younger folks in the same half though. On the other hand, it was a good to pit them against their senior opponent to see what they could do... not very much.

Caveat about the second half is that the opposition was a lot weaker, so anything good should be taken with a grain of salt. Same goes for the disappointing performances in the first, the opposition was a lot stronger.

Ok, I hate to moan and complain about the media, but the Sky Sports Headline reads: Second Team Real Madrid beats Chelsea

Am I missing something or was the game not second team vs second team for the most part?

Both teams had a bit of a mix and were missing names like Ronaldo and Costa.

Last time I checked, these Chelsea starting XI are not first teamers: Begovic, Aina, Oscar, RLC, Traore. Nearly half the squad.

What gives?

5 hours ago, Jason said:

1. Although we lost out narrowly in the end, it was still an embarrassing loss considering Real Madrid played their B/C/D team and only their second pre-season match.

2. We might have gotten new optimism from having brought in a new manager and 2 decent signings, it still can't hide the fact that we still have some rubbish players and a poor defence. We can buy all the best players there is in attack and midfield but if we don't sort that back 4 out, we won't get anywhere. It's almost a joke now that we're about to enter the 4th/5th season playing with the same back 4 that everyone can see there's obvious problems with it.

3. Conte is hell bent on playing the 4-2-4, isn't he? I'm all for new formation being played, even if I'm not liking this new one, but it's somewhat concerning that we haven't really tried out different formations so far.

4. Just as we are often told not to read too much into pre-season results and performances, can we even take positives from some of the players' display today? I mean, they played against a Real Madrid B/C/D side after all.

1/ Think you're being a bit dramatic Jason. Looking at our starting lineup only Willian, Azpi and 1 of Cahill/Terry will be in the first 11.(if we sign a CB and a LB) That's 3 out of the 11 players.

Also think it's a bit much saying Real Madrid played their B team. Marcelo, Varane, Cavajal and Casemiro are all starters for Madrid. Both teams played a mixture in the first half. They simply have better depth then we do.

We played our second pre- season game 2 days ago. Not like we're further ahead in our preparation.

2/ True, no doubt we still need a new CB and a new FB.

3/ I actually like the 4-2-4. It's just that our defense and midfield are being way too sloppy on the ball. Our front 4 simply aren't seeing enough of the ball.

4/ I think we can, even if it was against Real madrid's C team. Ofcourse we shouldn't go overboard but still we shouldn't dismiss the good performances.

This last part isn't really meant for you but more generally for people who already seem like their panicking.

Should note that Conte has only had this group for 2 weeks in which we played 3 games and had to also travel to different locations. So he wasn't even able to train for the full 2 weeks with this group.

Then there's also the fact that a number of our players weren't here from the very beginning due to the Euros. Kante just arrived 2 days ago. Hazard and Courtois 4-5 days ago. Fabregas, Azpi and Pedro a week ago.

Also i'm sure those double sessions are taking their toll on the players. I mean Willian looked exhausted in the first half and he's probably the guy with the most stamina in the entire team.