Michy Batshuayi

Hamilton

His hold up play was terrific yesterday. He managed to set up so much counters and win us possession and free kicks with his play yesterday. Considering he has barely played and was coming into a game like that, he can be proud of how he performed. It is a shame because he won't get much chances to keep that momentum going and he prob will revert back to the bench.

Good decision by Conte not to let him take it. 1) Willian is more suited for high pressure occasions like this 2) Had he missed, it would undo all the good work he'd done in that game to gain some confidence. In a deadbeat League Cup game against a League 1 side when 4-0 up? Sure, Billy the masseur can take it, but FA Cup semi-final against your closest rival to go ahead? No way, your best man must take it. He had a good game without scoring, that is enough.

I liked his link-up wih Pedro and Willian. Was trying to combine with them a lot, also made a good pass with his backheel to Pedro for the first goal, if Im not mistaken. Also, he was dynamic in the opposition box and was trying to free himself and to be in a good position for a shot. I really, really want to see more of him and Hazard on the same time on the pitch.

As mentioned before i think his hold up and link up play was fantastic. Something Costa has never really been able to do. If neither of the strikers are scoring i'd rather play the one that is going to retain the ball and set other players up. 

Just now, manpe said:

Wouldn't call it "fantastic". It was the minimum a striker should be capable of doing, we just think it was fantastic because we have had to watch Diego screw up his hold/link-ups for months now.

I agree. He did OK but nothing flash, his time is over here IMO and he will be either sold or loaned.

Just now, manpe said:

Wouldn't call it "fantastic". It was the minimum a striker should be capable of doing, we just think it was fantastic because we have had to watch Diego screw up his hold/link-ups for months now.

Held Alderweireld off all game, brilliant first time flick to put Pedro through for the first goal. Pretty great in my eyes. Just needs to work on the actual scoring. 

1 minute ago, Viva La Hazard said:

Held Alderweireld off all game, brilliant first time flick to put Pedro through for the first goal. Pretty great in my eyes. Just needs to work on the actual scoring. 

Yup. Sounds like the minimum a striker of our team's stature should be doing.

Think Conte will be more impressed in this game than any of the early stage cup games where he scored. His hold and link up play seems to have come along way. Seems more happy to pass to other rather than focus on getting himself on the scoresheet

Definitely his best game for us.
Definitely not good that we're excited about a striker just doing the basics right, just like right after the Torres fiasco.

Ba was a more dangerous & effective player, but nobody would've taken prime Ba as our leading striker in these times. 

Bats will never be good enough to lead us, and it's nothing to do with the terrible man-management he suffered this season. He's simply not a goalscorer. He is part of the dying breed of Bergkamp wannabes. He isn't a winger, he isn't a midfielder, but his job is to assist & win free kicks. (He had crucial build-up play leading to our Willian freekick - that's what he's good at. And that's what Diego severely lacks.) Yet we don't ask for a player like that. We don't play that way. So it was lunacy from day 1 to be linked with him.

I think next season, Bats will be loaned out (a la Atsu) and we'll keep Costa. The club won't want 2 brand new faces up front for chemistry&marketing reasons, so someone has to be retained. And I've no doubt Conte to the board want a more reliable and ready-made bench option, so Bats just must be loaned out (our board, as arrogant as they are, never have the balls to sell a player after just a season, no matter how horrible.) 

I expect more or less the same next season, just with a better bench option, who scores plenty, but still doesn't get to start any games.:) 

19 hours ago, Leif said:

Definitely his best game for us.
Definitely not good that we're excited about a striker just doing the basics right, just like right after the Torres fiasco.

Ba was a more dangerous & effective player, but nobody would've taken prime Ba as our leading striker in these times. 

Bats will never be good enough to lead us, and it's nothing to do with the terrible man-management he suffered this season. He's simply not a goalscorer. He is part of the dying breed of Bergkamp wannabes. He isn't a winger, he isn't a midfielder, but his job is to assist & win free kicks. (He had crucial build-up play leading to our Willian freekick - that's what he's good at. And that's what Diego severely lacks.) Yet we don't ask for a player like that. We don't play that way. So it was lunacy from day 1 to be linked with him.

I think next season, Bats will be loaned out (a la Atsu) and we'll keep Costa. The club won't want 2 brand new faces up front for chemistry&marketing reasons, so someone has to be retained. And I've no doubt Conte to the board want a more reliable and ready-made bench option, so Bats just must be loaned out (our board, as arrogant as they are, never have the balls to sell a player after just a season, no matter how horrible.) 

I expect more or less the same next season, just with a better bench option, who scores plenty, but still doesn't get to start any games.:) 

He is totally not a goalscorer indeed. 7 goals for us in 664 minutes, which is 1 per 94,86 minutes or 1 per full game. Last season he scored 23 goals for Marseille by accident. It's clear that you have discovered his main lack.

And he also had plenty of chances here to show his worth for us, he just sucked too much in all those games. Indeed, I agree with you analyse that he can never be our main striker. Solid reasoning!

48 minutes ago, MCM4PR3Z said:

He is totally not a goalscorer indeed. 7 goals for us in 664 minutes, which is 1 per 94,86 minutes or 1 per full game. Last season he scored 23 goals for Marseille by accident. It's clear that you have discovered his main lack.

And he also had plenty of chances here to show his worth for us, he just sucked too much in all those games. Indeed, I agree with you analyse that he can never be our main striker. Solid reasoning!

With that logic you must believe Iago Aspas is a 'goalscorer' too when you look at this season's stats. It's relative. I'm sure Bats could be a goalscorer in China, France, and the League Cup, just like Balotelli is. In the Premier League? Against the big boys? He is no goalscorer. Which is fine. We have a good creator here and that's what I've said from day 1 - along with, don't expect a prolific player, at all.

Stats are the worst & most trivial thing to bring up if you disagree. Stats have some of the most average players in Europe being put in the same class as the elite, when on the field, they're nowhere near their team's most important player. Neither do the stats reflect a player's best role & qualities. If they did, Alli would be a striker.

Plus it's not like he scored 23 goals from open play in a competitive league. It's easy to bulk up numbers with penalties against shit teams (he was their PK taker) which, when accounted for, means he averaged an open-play goal around every 3 games, which is pathetic for the French league compared to his peers.

Even Gomis at Marseille has the same amount of open play goals this season that Bats did, and that's with more games to come still. 
that must mean he's a good goalscorer, let's sign him!

In reality, nobody in their right mind would called Gomis a goalscorer. He's a French Andy Carroll experiencing a purple patch.

Ask people who've watched him who this player is, not the stats. Go on a Marseille forum, watch old Marseille clips, look at our current games when Bats plays. Scoring goals doesn't make someone 'a goalscorer'. If it did, Ribery would be considered a goalscorer and not a creator - which isn't the case.
In fact, if scoring a handful of goals during a purple patch makes you a 'goalscorer', sprinting to the shop a handful of times makes you a 'sprinter'.:P

So even if he scores 40 goals in a season, he can never be a goalscorer. And stats can never prove that somebody can score goals. In fact, stats can never prove anything. Only random quotes which go against every possible statistic from an anonimous forum user can be taken serious. Ok, too solid reasoning for me indeed.

5 hours ago, Leif said:

With that logic you must believe Iago Aspas is a 'goalscorer' too when you look at this season's stats. It's relative. I'm sure Bats could be a goalscorer in China, France, and the League Cup, just like Balotelli is. In the Premier League? Against the big boys? He is no goalscorer. Which is fine. We have a good creator here and that's what I've said from day 1 - along with, don't expect a prolific player, at all.

Stats are the worst & most trivial thing to bring up if you disagree. Stats have some of the most average players in Europe being put in the same class as the elite, when on the field, they're nowhere near their team's most important player. Neither do the stats reflect a player's best role & qualities. If they did, Alli would be a striker.

Plus it's not like he scored 23 goals from open play in a competitive league. It's easy to bulk up numbers with penalties against shit teams (he was their PK taker) which, when accounted for, means he averaged an open-play goal around every 3 games, which is pathetic for the French league compared to his peers.

Even Gomis at Marseille has the same amount of open play goals this season that Bats did, and that's with more games to come still. 
that must mean he's a good goalscorer, let's sign him!

In reality, nobody in their right mind would called Gomis a goalscorer. He's a French Andy Carroll experiencing a purple patch.

Ask people who've watched him who this player is, not the stats. Go on a Marseille forum, watch old Marseille clips, look at our current games when Bats plays. Scoring goals doesn't make someone 'a goalscorer'. If it did, Ribery would be considered a goalscorer and not a creator - which isn't the case.
In fact, if scoring a handful of goals during a purple patch makes you a 'goalscorer', sprinting to the shop a handful of times makes you a 'sprinter'.:P

Marseille are a completely different proposition this season. 

• 3 weeks later...