Riyad Mahrez

It's a magnificent myth that Antonio has improved Moses. Victor is exactly the same player he ever was. All that has happened, is that Antonio has utilised him better. Victor is now performing a role which is within his limitations. Ask him to function as a wide attacker once more and he would not win a place in the side. The idea that Antonio has some kind of magic wand to transform journeymen into superstars is just wishful thinking.

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

It's a magnificent myth that Antonio has improved Moses. Victor is exactly the same player he ever was. All that has happened, is that Antonio has utilised him better. Victor is now performing a role which is within his limitations. Ask him to function as a wide attacker once more and he would not win a place in the side. The idea that Antonio has some kind of magic wand to transform journeymen into superstars is just wishful thinking.

He simply plays in a role where he has space. Having speed and stamina coupled with space will make anyone look half decent. He still looks down at the floor the whole 90 minutes and has such a low football IQ

20 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Its not that Conte snapped his fingers and Moses became better, but Moses has improved a lot this season. Both in attack and in defense, and especially in defense. I think that he would be a better winger today than he was when he played with us for the first time.

21 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Well not only Moses but also David luiz. He was not wanted by many here nor by many pundits. Look at how he has help him as well. 

I have no doubt that the same can be done for Mahrez. 

3 hours ago, Yeboii said:

Its not that Conte snapped his fingers and Moses became better, but Moses has improved a lot this season. Both in attack and in defense, and especially in defense. I think that he would be a better winger today than he was when he played with us for the first time.

OK, we have a straightforward disagreement. Victor is more effective, because he is put in situations he can cope with but, in terms of his capabilities, he is not any better. That being my opinion, you'll understand why I absolutely and totally disagree with your assessment.

2 hours ago, Yeboii said:

Even now he makes beyond ridiculous brainfarts in the final 3rd and im talking one's no pro should make. 

10 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

10 hours ago, Supermonkey92 said:

He simply plays in a role where he has space. Having speed and stamina coupled with space will make anyone look half decent. He still looks down at the floor the whole 90 minutes and has such a low football IQ

Moses is not perfect but I think to say he hasn't improved under Conte is being ignorant. It takes more than just having pace and stamina to play in the wing back role. You still need to have a decent tactical intelligence, ability on the ball and workrate to make the position work. Do you think Conte would have played him if he didn't have those qualities? Can we get someone better to play in that RWB role? Yes. But Moses deserves credit how he has performed this season.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Moses is not perfect but I think to say he hasn't improved under Conte is being ignorant. It takes more than just having pace and stamina to play in the wing back role. You still need to have a decent tactical intelligence, ability on the ball and workrate to make the position work. Do you think Conte would have played him if he didn't have those qualities? Can we get someone better to play in that RWB role? Yes. But Moses deserves credit how he has performed this season.

Hello Jay,

Everything you say about the qualities required to play the wingback role, and Moses's possession of those qualities, is true. My contention is that Victor always had those attributes in sufficient quantity to play his current role, but that he does not have them to the degree required to replace Pedro, for example.

Victor never has had that level of talent and never will. He is not a better player now. He's just playing a role which suits his already existing talents better.

I suppose we all have a list of players we would replace in an effort to improve our team, and squad. On my version of that list Victor comes in at number two. Along with Marcos Alonso he has played an important role in our improvement since September. Neither of them is the final answer at wingback however.

13 hours ago, Fernando said:

Well not only Moses but also David luiz. He was not wanted by many here nor by many pundits. Look at how he has help him as well. 

I have no doubt that the same can be done for Mahrez. 

Again, Antonio's contribution, brilliant contribution, has been to play David in a role which suits him better.

10 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Again, Antonio's contribution, brilliant contribution, has been to play David in a role which suits him better.

And not only that but also Pedro and Matic which was woeful last season are also doing good. 

For all those situation I say Mahrez will be ideal and Conte will bring out the best of him. 

18 minutes ago, Fernando said:

And not only that but also Pedro and Matic which was woeful last season are also doing good. 

For all those situation I say Mahrez will be ideal and Conte will bring out the best of him. 

He showed a glimpse of his 15/16 season form on AFCON but so far not with Leicester which gives us the question: is he a one trick pony like Vardy or is he truly a great player that can make it in our starting XI?

There is a difference between "playing" better, and "being" better. Pedro is a good player whose form, on average, is better than it was last season. None of us need to be reminded that he is not alone in that. Pedro has not suddenly turned into Lionel Messi however. In terms of his individual qualities and attributes, he is the same player he always was.

By the way, I don't agree with you about Matic. I talked earlier about my list of players I would replace. Nemanja is at the top of it.

As for Mahrez, perhaps Antonio might get his best form out of him but there are a number of players I would prefer the club to target instead.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Fernando said:

We should go for him. 
Don't let him go to Liverpool or something like that. 

Yeah he screw up the coach by playing crap, but so did Costa and Hazard. 

Get him! 

Poor comparison. Costa and Hazard had only good/great seasons before last season and have only had the 1 poor/average season. Mahrez is the opposite. He's only had 1 good/great season the rest have been average at best. 

No reason to buy him. We're not that desperate.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You