test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Captain Ahmed

Riyad Mahrez

Started by Captain Ahmed,

836 posts in this topic

He's still a skillful player who can help us albeit from the bench... He doesn't make our starting XI better and truly that should be our aim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he is a good player, but a bit like Willian. We already have that... we need players to give us an edge against other top sides. Mahrez isn't it.

DYC. and The Skipper like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Decent player with decent technique ... but this season pulled down all the momentum for him. He didnt really get going when it went down just like our players last season. Hence I dont see him at Chelsea atleast till Conte is there ... He demands a lot from his players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was cought on camera praising Chelsea.

 

Isco or Griezmann if we realy want to improve that right side. 

If those two aint possible, Pedro is allright until someone is available.

I dont rate Sanchez that much, while Mahrez had poor season and could either turn good or bad. Lemar wants to stay in Monaco.

Silva is good to, but for that quoted price we can try Griezmann instead and add few more millions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This would be so underwhelming, Pedro has performed at levels Mahrez produced last season in the last few months and not just that but Pedro has worked immensely hard on and off the ball too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

This would be so underwhelming, Pedro has performed at levels Mahrez produced last season in the last few months and not just that but Pedro has worked immensely hard on and off the ball too.

I love Pedro, but Mahrez was insane last season and on a completely different level. While I agree that Mahrez wouldn't be a large upgrade on what we already have, I still think he'd be a great signing if the likes of Sanchez and Bernardo aren't possible. Like Hazard, he has the ability to dribble past a defender (or 2 or 3) at will. He's a nightmare to mark. That's super valuable for a side that'll be up against a lot of parked buses next season.

Mahrez could be great value for £25-30m when compared to the likes of Sanchez/Bernardo/James etc who would be minimum £50m probably.

Fernando and 11Drogba like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Pizy said:

I love Pedro, but Mahrez was insane last season and on a completely different level. While I agree that Mahrez wouldn't be a large upgrade on what we already have, I still think he'd be a great signing if the likes of Sanchez and Bernardo aren't possible.

That's the thing - it was last season and it was only ONE season. Are we really sure what Mahrez did last season was his true ability and not just a complete freak? You said he was on a completely different level but I would argue that how many of the other teams last season played to their true level? Not discrediting any good Mahrez did last season but at the same time, he was good because the other players didn't play to their true level.

26 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Like Hazard, he has the ability to dribble past a defender (or 2 or 3) at will. He's a nightmare to mark.

Okay, Mahrez has decent dribbling skills but let's not make like he's another Hazard because he's not that good. Ask any defenders out there who would they rather mark - Mahrez or Hazard - and I'm certain everyone would say Mahrez. And if Mahrez is really as good as you're trying to make him out to be, why hasn't he been talked on the same level as Hazard?

28 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Mahrez could be great value for £25-30m when compared to the likes of Sanchez/Bernardo/James etc who would be minimum £50m probably.

If you put it from a financial perspective, then obviously Mahrez could be of great value at just £25-30m. But if we want to dominate the league, compete against the very best in Europe again, then we have to get the top-tier players, players who can actually improve and make us better and that means spending big money for them. The last thing we want now is to repeat the blunders of 2010 and 2015 again, when we became stingy, bought duds and ended up with a poor season.

On top of that, there's plenty of good factor around the club now - just won the league, Conte being in charge, there's a strong unity in the dressing room, have Champions League again etc - and if we don't take advantage of that to get the top tier players this summer (especially when we seem to be the No.1 attraction in England right now, ahead of City and United), then we might live to regret that. And getting those kind of players will also help to persuade the ones that we have now - e.g. Courtois, Hazard - to stay for the long term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jason said:

That's the thing - it was last season and it was only ONE season. Are we really sure what Mahrez did last season was his true ability and not just a complete freak? You said he was on a completely different level but I would argue that how many of the other teams last season played to their true level? Not discrediting any good Mahrez did last season but at the same time, he was good because the other players didn't play to their true level.

Okay, Mahrez has decent dribbling skills but let's not make like he's another Hazard because he's not that good. Ask any defenders out there who would they rather mark - Mahrez or Hazard - and I'm certain everyone would say Mahrez. And if Mahrez is really as good as you're trying to make him out to be, why hasn't he been talked on the same level as Hazard?

If you put it from a financial perspective, then obviously Mahrez could be of great value at just £25-30m. But if we want to dominate the league, compete against the very best in Europe again, then we have to get the top-tier players, players who can actually improve and make us better and that means spending big money for them. The last thing we want now is to repeat the blunders of 2010 and 2015 again, when we became stingy, bought duds and ended up with a poor season.

On top of that, there's plenty of good factor around the club now - just won the league, Conte being in charge, there's a strong unity in the dressing room, have Champions League again etc - and if we don't take advantage of that to get the top tier players this summer (especially when we seem to be the No.1 attraction in England right now, ahead of City and United), then we might live to regret that. And getting those kind of players will also help to persuade the ones that we have now - e.g. Courtois, Hazard - to stay for the long term.

:clap::clap:Brilliantly put Jase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Jason said:

That's the thing - it was last season and it was only ONE season. Are we really sure what Mahrez did last season was his true ability and not just a complete freak? You said he was on a completely different level but I would argue that how many of the other teams last season played to their true level? Not discrediting any good Mahrez did last season but at the same time, he was good because the other players didn't play to their true level.

Okay, Mahrez has decent dribbling skills but let's not make like he's another Hazard because he's not that good. Ask any defenders out there who would they rather mark - Mahrez or Hazard - and I'm certain everyone would say Mahrez. And if Mahrez is really as good as you're trying to make him out to be, why hasn't he been talked on the same level as Hazard?

If you put it from a financial perspective, then obviously Mahrez could be of great value at just £25-30m. But if we want to dominate the league, compete against the very best in Europe again, then we have to get the top-tier players, players who can actually improve and make us better and that means spending big money for them. The last thing we want now is to repeat the blunders of 2010 and 2015 again, when we became stingy, bought duds and ended up with a poor season.

On top of that, there's plenty of good factor around the club now - just won the league, Conte being in charge, there's a strong unity in the dressing room, have Champions League again etc - and if we don't take advantage of that to get the top tier players this summer (especially when we seem to be the No.1 attraction in England right now, ahead of City and United), then we might live to regret that. And getting those kind of players will also help to persuade the ones that we have now - e.g. Courtois, Hazard - to stay for the long term.

I think we just rate Mahrez a bit differently. You seem to feel that he's an average player who had a freak, one off great season whilst I think he can reach a similar level again if he plays for a better side. I think everyone at Leicester until Claudio was finally sacked was in hangover mode from last season. We've seen everyone who was unbelievable last season (Huth, Morgan, Fuchs, Vardy, Mahrez) drop dramatically this season. What's to say Kante wouldn't have struggled a bit this season had he stayed there?

I have a feeling that if Mahrez moves to a big club (be it us, Spuds, Arsenal etc) he'll reach a very high level again. He'll have confidence back and be surrounded by a MUCH higher standard of player and coaches. 

You're certainly correct that he isn't a A-list, superstar signing that'll elevate the club's status or anything. I'm just saying...could be a good fallback option if other targets fall through. Not saying he should be our priority or #1 choice.

Fernando likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure if we don't get him Liverpool will go for him and then we will blame ourselves why didn't we go for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's a supremely talented winger. So was Salah. But neither are built for long-term, season after season consistency IMO. Like Willian, their tricks become old, and then you're left wondering what else is in their locker - which they never unlock.
If we're to get a winger, let's get another Pedro. A player who likes to get an early cross in more than he likes to dribble all the way to the corner flag. A player who makes his priority balance, attacking 2nd. 
The likes of Salah and Mahrez would get roasted in the odd game where they're forced into an awkward position; or they'd just get dropped, and then our game plan would have to change.

Great player to watch. Wouldn't sign him even for £5m if I knew he was going to be in the side every game though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
He's a supremely talented winger. So was Salah. But neither are built for long-term, season after season consistency IMO. Like Willian, their tricks become old, and then you're left wondering what else is in their locker - which they never unlock.
If we're to get a winger, let's get another Pedro. A player who likes to get an early cross in more than he likes to dribble all the way to the corner flag. A player who makes his priority balance, attacking 2nd. 
The likes of Salah and Mahrez would get roasted in the odd game where they're forced into an awkward position; or they'd just get dropped, and then our game plan would have to change.
Great player to watch. Wouldn't sign him even for £5m if I knew he was going to be in the side every game though.


Salah has just gotten better in Italy and is currently having the best season of his career. Joint top assists in Serie A with 13 & 17 goals IIRC.

The two really aren't comparable other than them both being left footed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seen someone mention Salah, genuinely think Salah would be a much better signing than Mahrez. Overrated. One good season. Beyond poor this year. 30M would be far too much for a player who would struggle to even make our bench when we have Hazard, Pedro, Willian, Fabregas all vying for potential places in attacking midfield positions (albeit Cesc's probably better deeper he can still do one hell of a job closer to the striker). 

Weckerz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was spectacular last season. One of the few players I remember to get a standing ovation at the Bridge. For £30-35m I wouldn't say no

Mufassir08 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pizy said:

I think we just rate Mahrez a bit differently. You seem to feel that he's an average player who had a freak, one off great season whilst I think he can reach a similar level again if he plays for a better side. I think everyone at Leicester until Claudio was finally sacked was in hangover mode from last season. We've seen everyone who was unbelievable last season (Huth, Morgan, Fuchs, Vardy, Mahrez) drop dramatically this season. What's to say Kante wouldn't have struggled a bit this season had he stayed there?

I have a feeling that if Mahrez moves to a big club (be it us, Spuds, Arsenal etc) he'll reach a very high level again. He'll have confidence back and be surrounded by a MUCH higher standard of player and coaches. 

On that logic, we should just buy everyone from Leicester because they'll perform better in a better team! The thing about Leicester is, one season of greatness doesn't suddenly make them a big side or even a top 7 side in the Premier League. Last season was a total freak and this season, they are pretty much performing at the level where we expect them to be all this time - mid-table mediocrity. Their squad is one filled with average players.

DYC. likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jason said:

On that logic, we should just buy everyone from Leicester because they'll perform better in a better team! The thing about Leicester is, one season of greatness doesn't suddenly make them a big side or even a top 7 side in the Premier League. Last season was a total freak and this season, they are pretty much performing at the level where we expect them to be all this time - mid-table mediocrity. Their squad is one filled with average players.

The logic is, he's young, very quick, extremely skillful, probably very affordable in relative terms, and has shown that he can cut it in this league. All of the other Leicester players are old and nearly past it. I think Mahrez can take another step up. He hasn't peaked yet and on the way down like the others.

Again, I'll reiterate that he's not my first choice or even the best choice. Just an option to consider. I'll put it this way, if we signed him would I be upset or very underwhelmed? No. Would I be over the moon and certain he'll take us to another level? No, but I'd be more than okay with him here.

Fernando and 11Drogba like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pizy said:

The logic is, he's young, very quick, extremely skillful, probably very affordable in relative terms, and has shown that he can cut it in this league. All of the other Leicester players are old and nearly past it. I think Mahrez can take another step up. He hasn't peaked yet and on the way down like the others.

He might have shown he can cut it in the Premier League but it's different from being able to cut it at the highest level. And granted some players peak later, Mahrez is already 26 years old. You would think if he's going to peak soon, he would performed consistently every week already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.