Riyad Mahrez

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 23/07/2016 at 0:23 PM, Styles said:

Honestly, you could even argue that whilst Willian is a great workhorse and tidy player he isn't a quality attacking winger. Mahrez is definitely better in that aspect.

We have the quantity over quality. It makes me despair when I see Pedro and Oscar listed as reasons why we can't sign good players.

Conte is going to be setting up a very high demanding system, will both Hazard and Mahrez furfil the off the ball demands Antonio demands from the wing? I mean one of them he can and probably will work round, but both? Even last season Ranieri had Albrighton running like a duracel bunny to counter Mahrezs not so great defensive side, and despite last season Hazard >>>> Mahrez.

Looking at Giacherrini in the Euros compared to what he was at Sunderland, im not dreading the thought of Oscar staying as much as I was, if he can make Giacherrini look somewhat decent Oscar should be child's play.

Pedro also did show under Pep that he is a system player, last year he was basically being told to pick up the ball and make things happen, that isn't his game, hes not naturally talented like Eden, it's the equivalent of telling Willian to play on the shoulder of the last defender, of course he would look shit.

4 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Conte is going to be setting up a very high demanding system, will both Hazard and Mahrez furfil the off the ball demands Antonio demands from the wing? I mean one of them he can and probably will work round, but both? Even last season Ranieri had Albrighton running like a duracel bunny to counter Mahrezs not so great defensive side, and despite last season Hazard >>>> Mahrez.

Looking at Giacherrini in the Euros compared to what he was at Sunderland, im not dreading the thought of Oscar staying as much as I was, if he can make Giacherrini look somewhat decent Oscar should be child's play.

Pedro also did show under Pep that he is a system player, last year he was basically being told to pick up the ball and make things happen, that isn't his game, hes not naturally talented like Eden, it's the equivalent of telling Willian to play on the shoulder of the last defender, of course he would look shit.

Conte can be as demanding as he wants but if we're short on offensive quality (which we are) it will not amount to much. We don't have enough goals or creators in this team. Absolutely agree that Hazard > Mahrez despite last season, but then Mahrez is a better attacking player than all of our AMs and by a huge distance.

The best teams in the world have high quality attacking players and then figure out ways to make it work. We need to get away from this Mourinho mentality of limited offensive power.

On 23/07/2016 at 0:46 PM, Pizy said:

Think this could be a signing that would finally make Arsenal genuine title contenders until the very end. They finally have a proper, class midfielder in Xhaka and they have unbelievable attacking players. World class keeper, world class attacking players, very decent midfield. They're central defense may be a concern, but if you simply out score opponents it won't matter.

Hope this is bullshit.

How many have we heard this? "The final piece in the Arsenal puzzle".

If they get their first post Wenger appointment right then yeah they will be a serious threat home and abroad, but as long as Wenger's about the title is not happening.

I'd rather have a defensively solid team that scores 1-2 goals per game and doesn't concede than a disorganized, lazy team that scores 2-3 goals and concedes 2 per game.
Luckily Antonio didn't start watching football yesterday, played at the highest level and knows how it's done properly.

14 minutes ago, Blue_Fox_ said:

I'd rather have a defensively solid team that scores 1-2 goals per game and doesn't concede than a disorganized, lazy team that scores 2-3 goals and concedes 2 per game.
Luckily Antonio didn't start watching football yesterday, played at the highest level and knows how it's done properly.

Why can't we aspire to play well on both sides? Defending well and attacking well are not mutually exclusive.

5 minutes ago, Styles said:

Why can't we aspire to play well on both sides? Defending well and attacking well are not mutually exclusive.

I'm sure our managers are, always had and always will aspire to play well on both sides, and so they should. However I might think, incorrectly or not, this is slightly more difficult task to achieve than just write it on an online forum.
Buying Mahrez won't achieve anything, if not for a limited period of time, towards the purpose of playing well while attacking, simply because his time in attack would be very limited in this, current, team.
Rome wasn't built in one day.

28 minutes ago, Tomo said:

How many have we heard this? "The final piece in the Arsenal puzzle".

If they get their first post Wenger appointment right then yeah they will be a serious threat home and abroad, but as long as Wenger's about the title is not happening.

With the sheer amount of change to every other big club I think them having essentially the same group  and manager is an advantage. Almost all of their players are settled and understand the "Arsenal way." 

Not to say they'd be favorites, but they'll have their best team in over a decade if they can add Mahrez.

3 minutes ago, Blue_Fox_ said:

I'm sure our managers are, always had and always will aspire to play well on both sides, and so they should. However I might think, incorrectly or not, this is slightly more difficult task to achieve than just write it on an online forum.
Buying Mahrez won't achieve anything, if not for a limited period of time, towards the purpose of playing well while attacking, simply because his time in attack would be very limited in this, current, team.
Rome wasn't built in one day.

Of course it is. But just because it's difficult doesn't mean we shouldn't try. I don't want Conte to give up like the last guy in charge and revert to shit on a stick football.

So what you're saying is buying a highly skilled attacking player, the reigning POTY in our league, won't achieve anything?

Despite the avi I actually think you have very little faith in Conte's managerial ability. You don't rate him enough to think he can successfully integrate a potentially world class talent into a team. Let me guess, he should load up on more defensive wingers?

The salt, the tears, the devastation if he somehow ended up here rather than Arsenal. The stuff dreams are made of...

I don't know what I'd give to see it happen. 

1 minute ago, Styles said:

Of course it is. But just because it's difficult doesn't mean we shouldn't try. I don't want Conte to give up like the last guy in charge and revert to shit on a stick football.

So what you're saying is buying a highly skilled attacking player, the reigning POTY in our league, won't achieve anything?

Despite the avi I actually think you have very little faith in Conte's managerial ability. You don't rate him enough to think he can successfully integrate a potentially world class talent into a team. Let me guess, he should load up on more defensive wingers?

lol. You can think what you like buddy, it's a free country, doesn't make it true.
But I don't think Conte is a magician, nor do I think he will give up, just like TSO didn't, on winning matches.
And yes, I'm actually saying that buying Mahrez won't achieve all that much in our attacking play, simply because our current team still won't have that much of an attacking play on the right side of the pitch.
Actually it could become a very weak link in our team if things stand as they are.

44 minutes ago, Styles said:

Conte can be as demanding as he wants but if we're short on offensive quality (which we are) it will not amount to much. We don't have enough goals or creators in this team. Absolutely agree that Hazard > Mahrez despite last season, but then Mahrez is a better attacking player than all of our AMs and by a huge distance.

The best teams in the world have high quality attacking players and then figure out ways to make it work. We need to get away from this Mourinho mentality of limited offensive power.

If we were on 4-3-3 with three solid midfielders then fair enough, but if both are wingers are incompetent defensively in a 4-2-4 we are asking for trouble, especially if Ivan or Baba start the season in the team, not even Kante will be able to cover that much ground to make up for it.

If we can build a great attacking team in the future im all for it, but after last season thrash we need to go back to basics first and foremost imo, and that's starting with a solid defensive system, even if we have to grind out wins at the beginning, it's easier to grind 1-0s and 2-1s consistently than 3-2,4-3 etc.

4 minutes ago, Blue_Fox_ said:

lol. You can think what you like buddy, it's a free country, doesn't make it true.
But I don't think Conte is a magician, nor do I think he will give up, just like TSO didn't, on winning matches.
And yes, I'm actually saying that buying Mahrez won't achieve all that much in our attacking play, simply because our current team still won't have that much of an attacking play on the right side of the pitch.
Actually it could become a very weak link in our team if things stand as they are.

True true, maybe we can play Azpi at RW.

4 minutes ago, Tomo said:

If we were on 4-3-3 with three solid midfielders then fair enough, but if both are wingers are incompetent defensively in a 4-2-4 we are asking for trouble, especially if Ivan or Baba start the season in the team, not even Kante will be able to cover that much ground to make up for it.

If we can build a great attacking team in the future im all for it, but after last season thrash we need to go back to basics first and foremost imo, and that's starting with a solid defensive system, even if we have to grind out wins at the beginning, it's easier to grind 1-0s and 2-1s consistently than 3-2,4-3 etc.

We have one game a week for most of the season so there's no midweek games to worry about. Conte has the perfect conditions to sign quality players (in all areas of the team) and work on them throughout the year. No CL is potentially a blessing in disguise.

All that time to prepare, train and coach shouldn't be wasted on keep it tight, try nick a goal, shit on a stick football.

Eh, i would rather buy one good RW once for ever than buying players like Cuadrado(sorry Willian but he isnt as good as Mahrez) and waste 30mln for them...

For me we can buy RW and CB in this window. And also striker. When rumours start about Kante in Chelsea nobody give it chance and it happens, we still can pick great players.

I wouldn't mind him here, it just doesn't look like the board wants to splash money like it used to, so if Conte really gets the numbers (4-5), I don't think he'll get all the names and in such scenario I don't see us breaking the bank for a position that while needed isn't one of our biggest issues. Which just tells a bit about how much rebuilding this team needs. It's not that don't need am efficient attacking mid, it's just we need other positions mroe.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You