John Terry

DavidEU

34 minutes ago, Peace. said:

I see a lot of people suggesting this is disgraceful of the Board to not renew Terry's contract and yadi yada... But I also see that these very same people have a very short — conveniently ? — memories.

Terry Senior was caught dealing cocaine ; Mrs Terry Senior was caught stealing clothes ; Terry Junior was allegedly caught facilitating tours of Cobham in a shady way ; Terry Junior was caught cheating his wife with the ex-wife of his ex-teammate ; Terry Junior was caught saying nasty racist things on the pitch ; etc, etc... Some might be false and some others might be blown out of proportions. Nonetheless, all these scandals — and more particularly the Bridge-gate and the Ferdinand-gate  — have been heavily used to indirectly attack our club and to try to derail many of our seasons. What did the club do ? They have backed him, all these years. I can assure you that anybody of you would be fired of your job on the spot if you were to be accused of racism — to be accused of racism today is like to be accused of paganism and witchcraft in Spain during the Inquisition or to be accused of being a Shia in Daesh's caliphate. Yet the club have backed him while it would have been so easy — especially because Benitez relegated him to the bench — to sack him like an old rag — and the whole football world would have congratulated Chelsea for doing so. And on top of that, that is the player that fucked up the penalty that would have won us our first Champions League ; and he let us down in the semi-final of the Champions League in 2012 — and consequently the final — by getting a stupid red card. It is highly likely that most of the club — at the exception of Liverpool, if you know what I mean — would have got rid of this problem of a player... Yet, during all those scandals, all those affairs, all those problematic moments... Chelsea has always backed their Captain while it would have been easier at several occasions to sell him than to back him up.

And now, despite all of that, some people have the sheer arrogance to accuse the board of being disrespectful ?? All of you, instead of playing your outraged virgins, you should be grateful toward this 'classless' and 'disrespectful' Board — because had not it been for this 'scum' of a Board, you lot would not have been able to watch your 'Captain, Leader, Legend' — he would not have stayed long enough to be called so anyway — for this past five years or so. Just keep that in mind... Ah, this whole 'who's the more outraged of us' contest is truly cringeworthy and pathetic, and is really becoming unbearable...

:clap:

And what's funny is that the same members of the press who have spent years deriding Chelsea for Terry's many misdemeanours (some who advocated his sacking) are now bashing the club for simply saying NO AT THE MOMENT to a new deal for 35-year-old player (albeit captain, leader, legend etc etc etc).

This is all really just a big joke. I'm glad I don't take football seriously any more and can just laugh at stuff like this.

3 hours ago, Peace. said:

I see a lot of people suggesting this is disgraceful of the Board to not renew Terry's contract and yadi yada... But I also see that these very same people have a very short — conveniently ? — memories.

Terry Senior was caught dealing cocaine ; Mrs Terry Senior was caught stealing clothes ; Terry Junior was allegedly caught facilitating tours of Cobham in a shady way ; Terry Junior was caught cheating his wife with the ex-wife of his ex-teammate ; Terry Junior was caught saying nasty racist things on the pitch ; etc, etc... Some might be false and some others might be blown out of proportions. Nonetheless, all these scandals — and more particularly the Bridge-gate and the Ferdinand-gate  — have been heavily used to indirectly attack our club and to try to derail many of our seasons. What did the club do ? They have backed him, all these years. I can assure you that anybody of you would be fired of your job on the spot if you were to be accused of racism — to be accused of racism today is like to be accused of paganism and witchcraft in Spain during the Inquisition or to be accused of being a Shia in Daesh's caliphate. Yet the club have backed him while it would have been so easy — especially because Benitez relegated him to the bench — to sack him like an old rag — and the whole football world would have congratulated Chelsea for doing so. And on top of that, that is the player that fucked up the penalty that would have won us our first Champions League ; and he let us down in the semi-final of the Champions League in 2012 — and consequently the final — by getting a stupid red card. It is highly likely that most of the club — at the exception of Liverpool, if you know what I mean — would have got rid of this problem of a player... Yet, during all those scandals, all those affairs, all those problematic moments... Chelsea has always backed their Captain while it would have been easier at several occasions to sell him than to back him up.

And now, despite all of that, some people have the sheer arrogance to accuse the board of being disrespectful ?? All of you, instead of playing your outraged virgins, you should be grateful toward this 'classless' and 'disrespectful' Board — because had not it been for this 'scum' of a Board, you lot would not have been able to watch your 'Captain, Leader, Legend' — he would not have stayed long enough to be called so anyway — for this past five years or so. Just keep that in mind... Ah, this whole 'who's the more outraged of us' contest is truly cringeworthy and pathetic, and is really becoming unbearable...

WTF? What has the board done for us except be absolute shit recently? What has John done for us except give us his all for over 20 fucking years?

59 minutes ago, Kieran. said:

WTF? What has the board done for us except be absolute shit recently? What has John done for us except give us his all for over 20 fucking years?

1 hour ago, Fulham Broadway said:

@peace you post rare long articulate essays, that ocassionally hit the mark, this one is spectacularly way off.

Its the anti Chelsea bile from a T*ttenham fanzine, its the bitter ramblings of a trophy hungry Arsenal teenager in his bedroom, its a hateful jealous diatribe from a liverpool fan masturbating in a toilet. a post that can only reiterate the half truths from tabloid papers regarding the private life of the greatest player ever to play for Chelsea, the team you purport to support - tell us that you copied from a rival forum, and its a wind up, a sick joke.

2 hours ago, CHOULO19 said:

Think you're all missing the point. The board simply doesn't owe John Terry a new contract. They aren't obligated in any way to give John Terry a new contract.

John Terry has shown loyalty to us by staying, yes but the club has also shown loyalty to him by sticking with him through let's call them "unfortunate situations" ( the ones that Peace mentioned). 

Not to mention he's been paid quite well over the years here. Would he have shown the same type of loyalty to us if Roman didn't buy the club which allowed us to give him his £150 000 a week and made us a team that challenged for the biggest prizes ?

Probably not but  that's okay. Big players go to clubs (or stay at them) that pay well and challenge for prizes. So don't go acting like Terry was doing us some sort of favour by sticking around here. We simply never gave him any reason to look elsewhere.

It's perfectly fine to want Terry to stay and to be sad about him potentially leaving the club after his long time here (no doubt, he has been great for us) but acting as if it's such a disgrace, such an outrage that we aren't offering him a contract without knowing if the next manager wants him around is ridiculous and way over the top.

6 minutes ago, Belgiannutt said:

Think you're all missing the point. The board simply doesn't owe John Terry a new contract. They aren't obligated in any way to give John Terry a new contract.

John Terry has shown loyalty to us by staying, yes but the club has also shown loyalty to him by sticking with him through let's call them "unfortunate situations" ( the ones that Peace mentioned). 

Not to mention he's been paid quite well over the years here. Would he have shown the same type of loyalty to us if Roman didn't buy the club which allowed us to give him his £150 000 a week and made us a team that challenged for the biggest prizes ?

Probably not but  that's okay. Big players go to clubs (or stay at them) that pay well and challenge for prizes. So don't go acting like Terry was doing us some sort of favour by sticking around here. We simply never gave him any reason to look elsewhere.

It's perfectly fine to want Terry to stay and to be sad about him potentially leaving the club after his long time here (no doubt, he has been great for us) but acting as if it's such a disgrace, such an outrage that we aren't offering him a contract without knowing if the next manager wants him around is ridiculous and way over the top.

But it becomes an outrage when it sinks in that Ivanovic, who is half the player, got offered a new contract. How does that add up. How is there not basic outrage at the fact we're happy to let our best defender walk? What top club does that?

Milan, who are now bang average. We are run like Milan. :|

Just now, Leif said:

But it becomes an outrage when it sinks in that Ivanovic, who is half the player, got offered a new contract. How does that add up. How is there not basic outrage at the fact we're happy to let our best defender walk? What top club does that?

Milan, who are now bang average. We are run like Milan. :|

Trust me i'm not happy with Ivanovic getting a new contract and would have preferred if we let him go at the end of the season and simply moved Azpi to the right and brought in a young rb to be his understudy.

But if the manager doesn't want Ivanovic we can still sell him. That's the difference, Ivanovic still has value on the transfer market. John Terry, at 35, simply doesn't. 

"Our best defender"  Suppose that depends how you look at it. With the way we are currently playing, ( fullbacks pushing high up, high line, fluid midfield.) our central defenders are frequently left exposed. Zouma for me is the better defender under those conditions.

Where exactly Terry fits in will depend greatly on what type of system we'll use next season. Which i think is why the club is waiting to see who will be our manager next season.

Again i think it's a sensible thing to do.

5 hours ago, Peace. said:

Great perspective. An interesting take that other clubs would have dropped him for his faults. There have been a lot of good times and a lot of bad times for Terry but the club and the man himself have done well to stick together. Other players have been booted out of clubs for less. It's good that the board obviously viewed the good and what he brings to the club and team as far more important than the bad and didn't buy into the global pressure of Terry's poor PR.  I've yet to see a player replicate the near universal hatred as Terry, boy does he have his detractors. Both the club and the man have shown loyalty to each other...until now. 

It's the end of an era. No need to be upset about it. These things happen in life and I look forward to seeing what will happen in the future. I won't be mad, nor pessimistic of the future. If the club's hierarchy wants to press on with a new philosophy than good for them, I can't wait to see what the club is reinvented as.

3 hours ago, Belgiannutt said:

Fine, if we take loyalty out of the equation, where does practicality come in?

In a team already short of quality and tactical nous, why take out the the most regular starting member of the back 4? If its left for assessment of the new manager (who we're not even sure will last beyond 6 months) , why did the same rule not apply to Ivanovic who was easily one of, if not the most under-performing player of the season?

I understand your opinion on Ivanovic, but you can't deny that that contract extension makes this situation with Terry look more strange.

11 hours ago, Peace. said:

5 hours ago, Peace. said:

I didn't include the text of the posts I'm referencing because they're a bit longer than average. They can be found by clicking the swirly arrow in the top right of the blue boxes above. If you do that, and find you have not already read them then I recommend that you do. They contain 100%, well thought out, good sense.

The argument @Peace makes in those two contributions reminds me of one of my favourite Winston Churchill comments, "Most people don't think most of the the time so the majority opinion is nearly always wrong."