John Terry

DavidEU

Garry got beaten with very simple movement by aguero and ended up playing him inside. Yes, Cech could have done better although it was a world class finish and you would not expect your average goal keeper to save it. But the error was in why Aguero was one-on-one with Petr, and that lies on Garry's shoulders.

read the post above yours from TOPTB.

also please dont say aguero was 1v1 against cech. the ball was moving away from the ball with gc alongside aguero and the only outlet being cech's nearpost is barely going 1v1.

read the post above yours from TOPTB.

It was a simple move that all strikers make. Garry had absolutely no awareness of where Aguero was and makes the wrong decision and ends up breaking the offside trap. A mistake he's done countless times when we play a high line.

Couldn't disagree more. Aguero's run there is of the highest quality. He's between the defenders, behind Cahill's back and makes a couple of stutter steps to create maybe half a metre difference between the line Cahill is holding and the one Terry is. It's a fantastic piece of forward play and I doubt you'd get many people suggesting it was a Cahill mistake.

From there on, Aguero is on his left foot moving away from goal so it's really down to Cech not to be beaten on his near-post.

Looking at the video again, Cahill and Terry seem to be having a small conversation about Aguero before he makes the run. Again, the positioning of Aguero is fantastic, the run perfect so having a pop at 'Garry' Cahill seems a bit harsh.

The quality of Aguero's there has simply been exaggerated. His movement then maybe decent but if you notice, Cahill's tendency of backing off opposition's player was what eventually played Aguero onside. The other 3 still did well and hold their line but as soon as Nasri (I think) got the ball, turned and made a very short run, Cahill was already backing off and it then made it easy for Aguero to get in behind the defence with his movement.

the goal also would not even have happened if cech was covering his near post which he should have been as there was nothing else on for aguero in that situation.

again, not saying that GC was faultless but to blame him majorly for that goal is...

Like I said, that Aguero goal was a moment of individual brilliance from him. Doubt many would have expected him to shoot with his left foot from there but given that he did it, he absolutely just smashed that in with power and pace and it went past Cech in a flash. Don't think he can do much about it.

The quality of Aguero's there has simply been exaggerated.

The quality of Aguero's there (sic) has simply been underrated.

Wow, that was easy.

His movement then maybe decent but if you notice, Cahill's tendency of backing off opposition's player was what eventually played Aguero onside.

Cahill makes the right move. He can't see Aguero (because he's behind him) but he's expecting him to make a curved run off of Terry and into the channel Cahill is monitoring. It's fantastic forward play combined with a well-timed ball.

Aguero's job there is to cause confusion and he does that better than most strikers.

But if you disagree, you disagree. Aguero's run reminds me of the runs Crespo used to make for us though, and they're very hard to defend against (although Hernan was usually called offside by linos who simply weren't used to that type of run).

Wow, that was easy.

Cahill makes the right move. He can't see Aguero (because he's behind him) but he's expecting him to make a curved run off of Terry and into the channel Cahill is monitoring. It's fantastic forward play combined with a well-timed ball.

Aguero's job there is to cause confusion and he does that better than most strikers.

But if you disagree, you disagree. Aguero's run reminds me of the runs Crespo used to make for us though, and they're very hard to defend against (although Hernan was usually called offside by linos who simply weren't used to that type of run).

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It became a running joke around the Bridge, the number of times he was called offside when he was perfectly level. You must have heard the grumbles and groans each time it happened. :rolleyes:

Aah yes, the same old crap from you about 'oh, fans that go to stadiums know better bla bla bla'...

Aah yes, the same old crap from you about 'oh, fans that go to stadiums know better bla bla bla'...

Sorry mate, didn't mean to offend. Just bringing up a memory of supporting Chelsea that was pertinent to the discussion. Didn't think that would touch a nerve.

Like I said, that Aguero goal was a moment of individual brilliance from him. Doubt many would have expected him to shoot with his left foot from there but given that he did it, he absolutely just smashed that in with power and pace and it went past Cech in a flash. Don't think he can do much about it.

maybe u r right in defending cech there. and while i keep saying it was a moment of brilliance from aguero, i still feel cech could have done a little better had he been positioned better.

anyways coming to GC's part in the goal. this clip from TOPTB is awesome. look at agueor at 6 seconds. he starts taking a run behind GC but just lingers on/ holds his run for a second (probably even takes a step back from the goal to be played on). u have to say thats a phenomenal run from a striker.

maybe u r right in defending cech there. and while i keep saying it was a moment of brilliance from aguero, i still feel cech could have done a little better had he been positioned better.

anyways coming to GC's part in the goal. this clip from TOPTB is awesome. look at agueor at 6 seconds. he starts taking a run behind GC but just lingers on/ holds his run for a second (probably even takes a step back from the goal to be played on). u have to say thats a phenomenal run from a striker.

It's brilliant lone striker play. He drifts in the area between the two defenders just as the ball is about to be passed so he goes from being Terry's responsibility to Cahill's. He makes at least two dummy runs/feints to draw Cahill maybe half a metre beyond Terry (by no means criminal as some are suggesting) and even then all he's managed is to run on to a ball that is moving away from goal and is on his weaker foot.

Ultimately it becomes something of a hit and hope job because he'd never expect to beat Cech on his near post, yet he does. It's a combination of fantastic strike play, poor goalkeeping and dumb luck at the end of the day.

In all honesty, I see that goal more so as a goal keeping error rather than a mistake from Cahill.

Yes Cahill should be more aware of his surroundings, but his reading of the game is not at a level of lets say Paolo Maldini, who in all honesty could be the only player in history who could of prevented Aguero from getting behind him and stepping towards the ball. Some people are so extremely unaware of how difficult that job is.

Cech was extremely unfocused at goal which is why the ball got passed

Oh yeah...I'm sure you didn't mean to........

No offence, but it's a Chelsea forum. People are going to mention things about matches, atmosphere etc. (and not just to slag the home support off again, as I noticed some were doing in the match thread).

It was good run but not that special; there are a number of strikers and FW that can do the same move, esp the pacey ones. It's a very common play for South American players. Even Corinthians' Guerrero did that against Cahill a few times during the WCC match. I can remember Defoe, and others benefited from Garry's slowness before.

The fact that JT is certainly slower than Cahill, but is not so easily beaten is just proof of how good a player he is. People only talk about the reading of the game here, but technique is also very important: not only to pass the ball once you take it, but also to take it in a way you can keep it. Can't regain possession with blocks...

Wow, that was easy.

After looking at the highlights I have to agree...Cahill might have lost him, but Aguero does really well to stay just onside and beat the offside line Cahill and Terry were trying to play.

Cahill is not Terry, so I wouldn't expect him to make the right decision against strikers like Aguero every single time. But that doesn't change the fact that for the bulk of the matches we play, he's a solid and dependable option for the manager.

Cahill is not Terry, so I wouldn't expect him to make the right decision against strikers like Aguero every single time.

That's the whole point, though, and that's why he'll only ever be a good squad player and never starter material for a top team like Chelsea.

Goal has two mistakes in it. Firstly Cahill isn't aware of Aguero's positioning even though he should be. Secondly Cech made an arse of attempting to save it. Still if Cahill manages to catch him offside there is no goal or if Cech saves it there is no goal. Both mistakes are equally as bad I feel because if one of them doesn't make the mistake then its not a goal. Simple as that.