John Terry

DavidEU

2 minutes ago, Pizy said:

It'll be great if he stays of course, but unless we buy a top CB to partner him we're in for another nightmarish season at the back. Starting next season with Cahill & Terry will handicap us from the start.

To partner him? Lol. Terry shouldn't be a starter next season. This really is the perfect time for him to leave but I guess we have to go through another season so he gets a farewell game.

Still a disgrace how long club delay it. He should be offered an extension much earlier in the season. I'm sure he had to accept massive pay cut in that new deal, but I'm not sure he'll do it. And I can't blame him. But hope he stays.

2 minutes ago, Styles said:

To partner him? Lol. Terry shouldn't be a starter next season. This really is the perfect time for him to leave but I guess we have to go through another season so he gets a farewell game.

No, he should definitely start if we can get someone like Bonucci, Manolas, or Stones. An athletic and mobile CB that can do more of the leg work that JT no longer can.

Who else would be starting? Surely not the walking disasters that are Cahill and Ivanovic. Zouma apparently may not be ready at the start of the season. 

15 minutes ago, Pizy said:

No, he should definitely start if we can get someone like Bonucci, Manolas, or Stones. An athletic and mobile CB that can do more of the leg work that JT no longer can.

Who else would be starting? Surely not the walking disasters that are Cahill and Ivanovic. Zouma apparently may not be ready at the start of the season. 

Terry is a walking disaster at this point too in my opinion. The entire defence is and it needs revamping. If a 36 year old Terry (who is coming off a bad year) is starting games for us next season it would only confirm that we have learnt nothing as a club and are not serious about improving.

19 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Disagree, ideally he should be 4th choice behind a new cb, maybe zouma and/or someone else, zouma/ JCS or Tomori.
He has become too slow and has shown a few deficits during the season, don't get me wrong, i'm delighted he 's going to stay but his role in the team should be definitely reduced as being the voice of reason and experience for next season.
This is the perfect opportunity to blood one cb from the youth team, and with Terry staying we could think about getting rid of Cahill. At least in a perfect world. Guess we'll see what happens, fingers crossed.

6 minutes ago, Styles said:

Terry is a walking disaster at this point too in my opinion. The entire defence is and it needs revamping. If a 36 year old Terry (who is coming off a bad year) is starting games for us next season it would only confirm that we have learnt nothing as a club and are not serious about improving.

Sadly, I agree with that assessment of Terry and do indeed think it's time for us to move on, but if he stays he's still the best of a bad bunch. You know there's no way the club will sell Cahill & Ivanovic even though they've been dreadful. What choice will we really have if JT doesn't start? We won't buy 3 new CB's or something.

Needs to be Zouma and a new defender for me that start regularly. Yes I know that Zouma is injured but we need to look to the future starting with immediate effect. Signing JT to a one year deal is fine, he should be no more than a call upon defender that nurtures the new generation but also being a decent back up. This club need to move forward and quickly, we can do this by still keeping JT around on a fringe capacity, but we need a new CB of high quality to begin next season.

7 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

Needs to be Zouma and a new defender for me that start regularly. Yes I know that Zouma is injured but we need to look to the future starting with immediate effect. Signing JT to a one year deal is fine, he should be no more than a call upon defender that nurtures the new generation but also being a decent back up. This club need to move forward and quickly, we can do this by still keeping JT around on a fringe capacity, but we need a new CB of high quality to begin next season.

Zouma needs to be treated with extra care when he is back, ACLs are a nightmare for player's that rely on speed and athleticism like Kurt does. 

As much as Wenger has got things laughably wrong in the last decade, one thing he does get right is his slow rebleeding of players returning from serious injuries.

Just now, Tomo said:

Zouma needs to be treated with extra care when he is back, ACLs are a nightmare for player's that rely on speed and athleticism like Kurt does. 

As much as Wenger has got things laughably wrong in the last decade, one thing he does get right is his slow rebleeding of players returning from serious injuries.

Absolutely, I couldn't agree more. My point was looking towards Zouma being back and fully at it. I see Zouma as the future, I think he is going to be an absolute star for this club, and we need to make sure he has just as much quality next to him as he will offer us.

Just now, Special Juan said:

Absolutely, I couldn't agree more. My point was looking towards Zouma being back and fully at it. I see Zouma as the future, I think he is going to be an absolute star for this club, and we need to make sure he has just as much quality next to him as he will offer us.

I hope JCS will get an audition, because Zouma, in my opinion, won't be fully recovered till late season at the earliest and Andreas looking like he's staying in Germany, this would be  an ideal chance for Jake to show us he's got something.

Although now JT has almost got.a new deal I can't see it, if there's one positive Terry leaving could have brung is that Jake would have started the season as immediate back up behind Cahill and the new signing. 

Definitely was needed. As we need leaders in the dressing room and he is one. You could see the passion he had when playing against Spurs and the post-match interview.

He is a winner, a leader and we need him in this dressing room.

Now let next season be his last and then get him in the staff. He might be like Simeone. He has the passion, desire and has learned a lot from many managers.

Now he will have an Italian tactician and that should help him as Italian are generally known for their great tactical view of the game.

The decision suggests that Antonio Conte has told owner Roman Abramovich that he wants to keep John Terry at #Chelsea. [Telegraph] 

A club spokesman said:

'Marina Granovskaia and Bruce Buck met with John and his agent this week and offered him a one-year contract extension.

'Obviously coming so late in the season this is a big decision for John and his family, and it is something that they are now considering.'

Wondering whether they could offer John some guarantees such that as long as he accepts a reduced role, and compatible wages, he would be getting new deals until, say 2018/2019. With a strong indication of a coaching staff position after that.

Yes, he'd prob lose money missing short-term deals, but it would be a far more stable environment to his family.

Scholes and Giggs did something like that at United.