John Terry

DavidEU

Looking at the Everton game and his lapses of recent concentration in Milan -I'm guessing he was forewarned about Bridge opting out of England scenario etc.

if I was Ancellotti I would be seriously considering replacing him with Alex for Citeh game. I know hes a strong bloke, but hes now going to be the pantomine villain as far as other clubs are concerned for some time now, and some City players could be out for some kind of misguided retribution. Hes going to get verbals guaranteed...

Hope hes as psychologically strong as he is physically...

• 3 weeks later...

What's the verdict then? he over it? would be nice if our fucking fans at big games gave him a cheer...like vs City

There was One England Captain, There's Only One England Captain and John Terry, John Terry, John Terry, etc...being sung yesterday.

Yeah after the 2nd I remember...joined in, but we didn't combat the boo's well!

Really pisses me off that they (the opposition fans) feel the need to keep booing JT. Ffs it's old news, just give the guy a break. I'm sure I read somewhere this week a report that quoted Frank as saying the more that they boo JT, the more he wants to strive and do well. Certainly worked against Stoke didn't it.

Agree!!But sadly reckon gana carry on for a long time.Meh let them long he keeps playing how he has last 2 weeks let them! Kinda lame now.Old news etc

Bleh read in the Mirror bloody Terry Sherddiams verdict.How he reckons JT shouldnt play in the world cup due to 'distactions' and how Rio,Carrick some other Man U/Liverpool player should play instead..funny that seeing who he used to play for!

• 2 months later...
John Terry thinks Chelsea need to go one better that this season by winning the Champions League in 12 months time. The Chelsea skipper led Carlo Ancelotti’s side to their first ever domestic double, claiming the Premier League and FA Cup.

However, they failed to progress far in the Champions League and were knocked out in the quarter-final stage by former boss Jose Mourinho’s Inter Milan.

Terry said that there is “no doubt” around Stamford Bridge that Roman Abramovich wants to win the Champions League.

“We must get it next season even though he is delighted with the double and we’re determined to do it. If we can add the Champions League to that list, the fans, players, management and Roman would be very happy,” said the captain.

Source:Premier League football blog

Looks like the Champions League is Roman's priority next season then. Would anyone sacrifice the league if it meant we could win the Champions League???

Or should we just be greedy an go for everything!!

• 2 months later...

I know this may be kinda premature but is the finest defender of the recent Chelsea years in (a sharp) decline?

He was never the most pacy defender(except when he was playing alongside Desaily) but he's still in his late 20s and looks like he lacks the needed pace and agility against top sides.Even in his prime his positioning wasn't the best in the world but his mentality and teamwork made up for that and made him a world class defender.

We shouldn't take the England games in consideration but he hasn't been the defender he was 2 years ago for quite some time now,last year we could lay the blame on the whole Bridge thing and this year on the lack of fitness but I'm trying to look at the whole picture.

On the bright side he's got bags of experience now and will use it if he's concentrated enough.I've been arguing for quite some time now that he need a pacy and fresher defender next to him and his partnership with Alex doesn't convince me as being world class because neither of them is quick.Hopefully Ivanovic will be what he needs but he's not as good as Carvalho was in his prime.

Dropping him might be quite hard as he's the captain and a Chelsea legend,he's also the only one organizing our backline for the past 5 years or so,Cech is one of the few top goalkeepers who can't do that.

Two of the best defenders of the past decade,Maldini and Nesta,had extended primes under Ancelotti and I remember Carlo saying that JT and Maldini are similar but their defensive play is quite different and I'm not too optimistic about JT's ability in his mid 30s.Terry is a stereotypical English defender while both Milan stars were all about positioning.

I think we're a bit too skeptical about Terry's performances. He's still a great, inspirational, captain but his form has to be highlighted. I'm concerned about the game next weekend because he's taking part in the England game, it means he won't be 100% fit.