Survey - who should we keep and who should we let go?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Belgiannutt said:

I  like that midfield too but i don't think Fabregas is going anywhere. There have been no reports of him leaving so i'm failry certain Fabregas will be part of our midfield next season.

The club need both defensive stability and offensive stability. I felt Mourinho made a mistake by focusing too much on the defensive stability and neglecting our offense.(Oscar on the 10, Azpi as left fullback, Ivanovic as rightback)

He sacrificed our offense for defensive stability and had our offense rely way too much on individual brilliance. I hope we don't make that same mistake next season and Conte finds the right balance.

I would be dissapointed if we didn't, at the very least, have one offensive minded fullback starting for us next season and i can't see us buying another fullback as i think centre midfield and central defence are in more dire need of a quality injection. 4 new starters is probably the maximum we're going to get for next season.

So i turn to Kenedy as like i said i have high hopes for him and think he could really add another dimension to our attack. Again i understand it would be a risk but i feel it's a risk worth taking.

Defensively is the only way this team can play successfully, or at least could play successfully until a year ago.
Similarly to what you say, sacrificing our defensive stability for our offensive would be an even bigger mistake. Hence why Kenedy won't cut it as a regular starter.
We need a proper lb, one able to defend as well as attack if that wasn't clear enough.

Here is something I would like to get general opinion on? Who else would happily sign up for another season of Ivanovic and Baba getting significant minutes if we sort out central defense and midfield? And I mean truly sort it out.

Ivanovic, Azpi, Baba and Ake is no worse than our fullback combo in the back to back title years when we broke defensive records. 

3 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Here is something I would like to get general opinion on? Who else would happily sign up for another season of Ivanovic and Baba getting significant minutes if we sort out central defense and midfield? And I mean truly sort it out.

Ivanovic, Azpi, Baba and Ake is no worse than our fullback combo in the back to back title years when we broke defensive records. 

No question I would sign that deal. With proper midfield and central defence everything else will fall in place too. I have given him a lot of stick this season, but I have a feeling Ivanovic would become his solid self again in a team that will not isolate him 1-on-1 every attack. Ideally he would be backup to Azpilicueta and the left spot will be fought between Baba and Ake. The competition between Baba and Ake would be something to behold, two unproven youngsters giving their all to win that place - I definitely want to see that! I miss the days when we had competition in the squad.

7 minutes ago, manpe said:

No question I would sign that deal. With proper midfield and central defence everything else will fall in place too. I have given him a lot of stick this season, but I have a feeling Ivanovic would become his solid self again in a team that will not isolate him 1-on-1 every attack. Ideally he would be backup to Azpilicueta and the left spot will be fought between Baba and Ake. The competition between Baba and Ake would be something to behold, two unproven youngsters giving their all to win that place - I definitely want to see that! I miss the days when we had competition in the squad.

If we make loads of changes in CB and CM I can see Conte starting the season with Ivan and Azpi, not because he will nesseserily want to, but too many new arrivals (which Ake technically will be) will probably mean problems with gelling, like we saw with Spurs.

If we have the two new centre mids and two new centre halfs (one being Christensen recall) we all want, I can see everything else remaining the same at least for the first few months.

4 hours ago, Tomo said:

If we make loads of changes in CB and CM I can see Conte starting the season with Ivan and Azpi, not because he will nesseserily want to, but too many new arrivals (which Ake technically will be) will probably mean problems with gelling, like we saw with Spurs.

If we have the two new centre mids and two new centre halfs (one being Christensen recall) we all want, I can see everything else remaining the same at least for the first few months.

Depends on Roman and the board, what expectations they would have off conte. Also, I think, it wont just be changes in personnel, but also change in formation, tactics and hopefully everything A to Z. What's more is that, we Need it.

Also, I dont necessarily buy into "gradual change being the best way" that jose adopted. Our best option will be to play our best players. And i think azpi-ake is our best combination.

23 hours ago, the wes said:

What about Cahill he needs to go as well??

If we can sign someone better, yes he could go. But he English, has experience of playing at the top, and I dont see too many more top English centre halves available. Plus too many changes could be detrimental to the team. So at the moment I'd hold onto him.

Just selected the common ones to go (Cahill, Iva, Mikel, Oscar, etc)

I personally would get rid of Hazard and Thibo if the price is right. There is no doubting their ability, but we need players who are up for the cause. That's exactly what Conte will be demanding of his players.

Enough loan deals (IN and OUT). Give youngsters a chance to prove themselves or sell them for the good of both parties.

The only players who I wouldn't consider selling are Hazard, Willian , Traore, Musonda and RLC. Everybody else is fair game at right price as frankly the squad looks exactly what it is, mid table worthy. We need a massive overhaul. Hazard is our only world class player and whilst this season is clearly a write off I simply wouldn't give up on him yet. Said he wants to play (allegedly) for Conte so lets see.

The sad thing is, we've seen it all before. In 2007 we bought Tal Ben Haim, Claudio Pizarro, Steve Sidwell, and Danny Philliskirk!

The management of this club are quite often stultifyingly stupid, and is making the same mistakes they've made before. The penny pinching direction they're trying to take the club in, involves buying small barcelona type players, and loaning out too many for 'business'. whilst the rest of the league is going in the opposite direction.