The Conte Thread

Mourinho would sometimes give the media a bit when it came to transfers. If he was asked about specific names he would maybe say "he's a player I like or are interested in."

Conte has clearly been told not to say a word about targets. Won't budge an inch from what I've seen in his pressers. It's smart, obviously, but makes me anxious and nervous.

Conte: "It’s difficult to speak about the transfer policy. It’s difficult to speak with the press about things I discuss with the club."

Conte: "I repeat, we are waiting for the right solution to improve #Chelsea. We need to sign some players, we are working together."

Conte "I think we need to sign some players, we are too few players in defence and we are working with the club to find a solution." #CFC

The subtext of Conte's quotes on his defensive situation is that he's worried about a lack of quantity, not quality. #CFC #Chelsea

I didn't watch the press conference, so I couldn't give a proper judgement about Antonio's body language, however I need to point out this one thing which might help further.

In Italian, the word "argomento" does refer to the topic, theme of a conversation. Example; the "argomento" of our conversation is Conte's latest press conference.

It might be possible what Antonio meant to say was "It is very difficult to speak to the press about the "topics of conversation=argomento" I am having with the club." Realizing then the mistake in translation and correcting it with just "conversations."

It is a very basic mistake to do if you've spoken Italian since birth, I went through that as well.

Of course this might be all conjecture and indeed Antonio might be having arguments with the club about transfer targets and their price tags.

Good to know, thanks for the info. Hopefully there's only conversation no argument ;)

I didn't watch the press conference, so I couldn't give a proper judgement about Antonio's body language, however I need to point out this one thing which might help further.

In Italian, the word "argomento" does refer to the topic, theme of a conversation. Example; the "argomento" of our conversation is Conte's latest press conference.

It might be possible what Antonio meant to say was "It is very difficult to speak to the press about the "topics of conversation=argomento" I am having with the club." Realizing then the mistake in translation and correcting it with just "conversations."

It is a very basic mistake to do if you've spoken Italian since birth, I went through that as well.

Of course this might be all conjecture and indeed Antonio might be having arguments with the club about transfer targets and their price tags.

Good to know, thanks for the info. Hopefully there's only conversation no argument ;)

28 minutes ago, Blue_Fox_ said:

Good news thank you.

Good news because I think you could be right. I certainly hope that you are.  This makes perfect sense because the word argument has the same additional meaning in English, given the right context. 

Antonio Conte’s frustrated with Chelsea’s inability to add significantly to their squad (Guardian) #CFC

#Chelsea boss Antonio Conte bemoans being overcharged for average players... 'the market is crazy.‘ [Mail]

#Chelsea’s attempts to strengthen their squad have stuttered due, in part, to the hefty price tags attached to Conte's targets. [Mail]

Kalidou Koulibaly is one of Antonio Conte’s primary targets — but Napoli's £60million asking price is proving prohibitive. [Mail]

Conte: "At this moment it’s very difficult to buy because, also, if you ask a player of medium level, they might ask for £55m.“ [Mail]

Conte: "For this reason it’s a crazy market. It’s very difficult to enter the market. I’m not comfortable with paying over the odds.“ [Mail]

Conte: "I don’t like to pay a lot of money. If a player deserves us to pay lots of money, then it’s right.“ [Mail]

Conte: "But for a medium player, it’s right to pay the right price, not £20-30m over. That’s not right.“ [Mail]

Conte: "The money is not mine but I don’t like it. That is why we are waiting for the right situation. We must be patient and wait.“ [Mail]

Conte remains in regular contact with Marina Granovskaia and Michael Emenalo over potential incoming and outgoing transfers. [Guardian]

Conte left Juventus because of lack of transfers. It's a hard situation. I get frustrated and call the board all sorts of names but it's not really their fault to not pay stupid money for these players who are not world class. However what they could have done is identified other targets and pursued them instead. This is worryingly similar to the Stones saga unfortunately.