The Conte Thread

1 hour ago, Gilvorak said:

I truly hope we fail in our pursuit for a 3rd striker because no top team is playing with 2 9's. I know Conte favours workrate over technique first and foremost but he seriously doesn't believe we have enough creativity in our side right? If Hazard gets injured we are well & truly done for.

We've been linked with CB's & strikers all summer but not fullbacks, AM hybrids or wingers. Looks like we'll be the same exact team we've been for the last 3 seasons, a workmanlike side utterly reliant on one player.

The second striker in Conte formation was creative player - either Vucinic, whose passing was excellent, or Tevez. I just cannot sensibly understand what is with these links with Lukaku.

You still think that James is not for Conte liking ? We basically defend with strict 7 players so the 4 left should be of highest attacking skills. We won't cut it with 1-2 players.

I realy hope he bonds the team together. We have been playing like bunch of individuals with little connection between for a while now. If Conte can somehow unite the team, it would be all I want in his first season. Build pillars then bring in the missing pieces.

1 hour ago, Gilvorak said:

We've been linked with CB's & strikers all summer but not fullbacks, AM hybrids or wingers.

Yeah, I'm resigned to the fact it's going to Oscar, Matic and Willian as our midfield mainstays because we're not linked to anyone else in that area of the pitch. Cuadrado wants to go back, so I guess Pedro and MOSES is staying.The only way I see us signing someone there is if Fabregas leaves, which I don't think will happen because I'm sure he's earning good wages with us lol. 

Ivanovic, it seems, we'll continue to be our predominant right-back at the ever increasing age of 32. One sort of thinks Conte will be blooding in Aina, which I guess we can live with because hey the kid could come through and become an actual first team graduate - stranger things have happened.

A lot of people expect by January or after, Zouma and Koulibaly (should we sign him) will replace Terry & Cahill in defence. Don't think it's happening to be honest, but I hope to be surprised! 

51 minutes ago, Blue Colored Sky said:

The second striker in Conte formation was creative player - either Vucinic, whose passing was excellent, or Tevez. I just cannot sensibly understand what is with these links with Lukaku.

You still think that James is not for Conte liking ? We basically defend with strict 7 players so the 4 left should be of highest attacking skills. We won't cut it with 1-2 players.

I think like the Mahrez rumours the James links aren't actually serious. Seems like our two major targets are Koulibaly & Lukaku. Conte seems content with the rest of the team.

21 minutes ago, Gilvorak said:

How many of the current bunch would get into that team?

That's true, but then you get into the whole what our team should look like had we kept the players Mourinho sold off subsequently.

It's this point you've made which is why I'm nervous about this season, we've only got domestic competition to really occupy us so in that sense the potential for things going wrong reduces (i.e. I'd rather lose to bloody West Brom than see us get dumped out the CL for playing this embarrassment). 

Should make things a bit easier for Hazard too, one would think. But since we're adamant on not providing him any support I wouldn't be surprised if he starts well and gradually burns out. 

5 hours ago, Gilvorak said:

6 years ago we could put out a lineup of

Malouda Drogba Anelka

Lampard Ballack Essien

Cole Terry Carvalho Ivanovic

Cech

Depends which half of 2010, the first half just Hazard and maybe Courtois, the second half however....... 

3 hours ago, Gilvorak said:

Is a player like Hazard bulking up a good idea though? You wouldn't want him to lose his agility & speed.

Unlikely that they put muscle on him just so he can weigh more. Most probably tje exercises are primarily aimed at improving performance, whether thats explosive power or maintaining speed, whatever muscle he could gain would just be a bonus but would be adapted to relevant exercises and movements on a football pitch. 

1 hour ago, Supermonkey92 said:

Unlikely that they put muscle on him just so he can weigh more. Most probably tje exercises are primarily aimed at improving performance, whether thats explosive power or maintaining speed, whatever muscle he could gain would just be a bonus but would be adapted to relevant exercises and movements on a football pitch. 

3 hours ago, obiwan92 said:

Having muscle instead of fat is always advantageous. Also will be much more sturdy and harder to knock off the ball.

4 hours ago, Styles said:

Maybe it's just to improve his core strength.

All good points I suppose. Just find it odd he singles out Hazard who's one of the Top 2 players in the World at ball retention but not Oscar who's still a toothpick & is easily bullied off the ball.

9 hours ago, Gilvorak said:

6 years ago we could put out a lineup of

Malouda Drogba Anelka

Lampard Ballack Essien

Cole Terry Carvalho Ivanovic

Cech

Hazard would easily take Malouda's spot, and Costa is a better striker than Anelka was and also has experience playing on the wing.

Lampard/Ballack/Essien is one of the strongest midfields we've ever seen in the Premier League, but I think we were better when we had Makelele in the holding role, and it's possible Kante could get in the team in that role.

1/2 of the back four is still playing for us, and of course they're going to be superior in their primes. Cole and Carvalho were fantastic defenders and would walk into any team on the planet in their primes.

5 hours ago, nofacej said:

Hazard would easily take Malouda's spot, and Costa is a better striker than Anelka was and also has experience playing on the wing.

Lampard/Ballack/Essien is one of the strongest midfields we've ever seen in the Premier League, but I think we were better when we had Makelele in the holding role, and it's possible Kante could get in the team in that role.

1/2 of the back four is still playing for us, and of course they're going to be superior in their primes. Cole and Carvalho were fantastic defenders and would walk into any team on the planet in their primes.

I don't think Costa is better than Anelka. Anelka came to us in his twilight - in his prime he was an amazing player - he just had a severe attitude problem which hampered his career.

23 minutes ago, Muzchap said:

I don't think Costa is better than Anelka. Anelka came to us in his twilight - in his prime he was an amazing player - he just had a severe attitude problem which hampered his career.

Even if I were to concede that Anelka in his prime was superior to Costa, as you say Anelka never played for us in his prime, and the comparison we're making is between the current team and the team that played under Carlo.

For me Costa is the better player of the two given the scenario, and regardless I think he'd be much more compatible with Drogba than Anelka ever was.