The Conte Thread

Really interested to see how our new man is going to shape up against the cream of the world's managers. Gutted to see Jose go last season, though was starting to suspect his ego/the pressure was getting to him and he was beginning to crack up. Never seen such a great club as we are go from so terrifying to so terrifyingly bad in a matter of months. Let's hope he does the same to United. Fascinating season coming up though. Guardiola, Mourinho, Klopp, Wenger, not forgetting Pochettino and Ranieri, and Bilic and Koeman could yet surprise a few people too. If our new man can come out on top against that line up of rivals he will surely be seen as one of the greats of the modern game. Come on Conte!

40 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Good. They both have their place. Against the strongest opposition I'm not sure it's a great idea to play with two strikers. Maybe if we had a better partner for Kante, but our current players would get overrun. We need to pack the midfield against teams like City, United, Spuds. Against lesser opposition we can play two up top.

I like to see a fluid system in which the second striker is just as at home up top as he is in the number 10 role, wingers can then bomb forward/hang back, meaning 1 minute it could be a 4 4 2 and the next a 4 2 3 1 or 4 3 3. Fabregas should be a good enough partner for Kante but has been a shadow of his former self at times, wonder if Conte (damn I'm going to get these two names confused so often) can get him playing like he was during his best gooner years

4 hours ago, The Skipper said:

-----------------Costa

Hazard--Kante--Cesc--Willian

--------------Chalobah--

New LB--New CB--Zouma--Azpi

----------------Courtois

For me, the best team. While Zouma recovers, I'd play JT. It's not a bad team at all though. 

I just worry about Costa. At the top level there is no room for players whose form and temperament can swing so wildly. If we have the Costa of the season before last then who needs another striker. If not then we need Luka back. Should probs get him just in case

1 hour ago, skottytee said:

I just worry about Costa. At the top level there is no room for players whose form and temperament can swing so wildly. If we have the Costa of the season before last then who needs another striker. If not then we need Luka back. Should probs get him just in case

I'd be more willing to give Batshuayi a chance than sign Lukaku to be honest. We need another attacking player, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a pure striker like Lukaku. I wouldn't mind if we signed a top winger and moved Hazard central as a second striker, for example. 

36 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

I'd be more willing to give Batshuayi a chance than sign Lukaku to be honest. We need another attacking player, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a pure striker like Lukaku. I wouldn't mind if we signed a top winger and moved Hazard central as a second striker, for example. 

Problem is the cost.

Lukaku, if the sale happens, becomes the 4th most expensive player in the world. That mean he's almost an automatic starter :lol: 

1 minute ago, LDN Blue said:

Problem is the cost.

Lukaku, if the sale happens, becomes the 4th most expensive player in the world. That mean he's almost an automatic starter :lol: 

Yeah and that's why @The Skipper said he'd rather not sign Lukaku and instead see what Michy can do. I agree with him.

We really have to shrink that squad considerably.

We need a centre-back and left-footed left-back and that should sort our incomings. I don't believe that we may end up not signing a defender and not having in the squad left-footed full-back having ditched one already. I also don't think we will sign a right winger.

Conte has already shown that he doesn't like to rotate back four. Having said that, if we will indeed sign CB + LB we have 8 defenders and that's too much. Aina may end up on loan.

Do we ditch Chalobah again and Mikel John Obi will stay ? I can only guess.

I don't remember player from the Academy who begged for loan more than RLC now. He just needs to sort so many things, fitness level, awareness, speed of thoughts. He needs plenty of minutes.

Kenedy, Moses, Pedro, Cuadrado - 2 of them should go.

We have 40 games scheduled so far. I think we should go with 19-20 outfield players MAX. Remember that we went with worse numbers into 2012/13 season when we played 69 games.

7 hours ago, Barbara said:

I wish that was the consensus in the club too

I'd love to see him and either Costa or Bats together. Id use Lukaku-Costa and keep subbing Bats on rotation each game

13 hours ago, Blue Colored Sky said:

We really have to shrink that squad considerably.

We need a centre-back and left-footed left-back and that should sort our incomings. I don't believe that we may end up not signing a defender and not having in the squad left-footed full-back having ditched one already. I also don't think we will sign a right winger.

Conte has already shown that he doesn't like to rotate back four. Having said that, if we will indeed sign CB + LB we have 8 defenders and that's too much. Aina may end up on loan.

Do we ditch Chalobah again and Mikel John Obi will stay ? I can only guess.

I don't remember player from the Academy who begged for loan more than RLC now. He just needs to sort so many things, fitness level, awareness, speed of thoughts. He needs plenty of minutes.

Kenedy, Moses, Pedro, Cuadrado - 2 of them should go.

We have 40 games scheduled so far. I think we should go with 19-20 outfield players MAX. Remember that we went with worse numbers into 2012/13 season when we played 69 games.

We really have to shrink that squad considerably. - YES!

We need a centre-back and left-footed left-back and that should sort our incomings. I don't believe that we may end up not signing a defender and not having in the squad left-footed full-back having ditched one already. I also don't think we will sign a right winger.  - YES! Dont need a RW as Square has been better than Willian this pre season. Time at a big winning club that adore him has realy boosted his ego. Seeing how direct he runs at defenders is what Willian doesn't do. Please god let him stay.

Conte has already shown that he doesn't like to rotate back four. Having said that, if we will indeed sign CB + LB we have 8 defenders and that's too much. Aina may end up on loan.  - We dont have any bloody defenders that we can rotate with! Cahil,Iva/JT gotta go. They just dont suit the style of play now. If we dnt get CB/FB then we are buggered.

I don't remember player from the Academy who begged for loan more than RLC now. He just needs to sort so many things, fitness level, awareness, speed of thoughts. He needs plenty of minutes.  - YES totally agree. Should have gone sooner IMHO but think he was just hyped too much to go back on it and I cant see him going nowhere now unfortunately.

Kenedy, Moses, Pedro, Cuadrado - 2 of them should go. - Kenedy has been a now show which is a shame as I had alot of hope for him. Same with Pedro. Moses and Square have been great this preseason and we would be daft to let them go anywhere. Moses is excellent alternative to Esen and could be a gamechanger. Same with Square.

We have 40 games scheduled so far. I think we should go with 19-20 outfield players MAX. Remember that we went with worse numbers into 2012/13 season when we played 69 games. - So just xause we aren't in Europe this year we sell everyone? So what happens next year when we are there? We have to spend loads to fill the squad again. Its not about the amount of people we got its about the lack of quality depoth and creativity. We need to  bring players on that can offer an alternative to whats on the putch at the time. Not just replace like for like.