The Conte Thread

9 minutes ago, Tautvix said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3709645/Antonio-Conte-expresses-concern-crazy-transfer-market-believes-important-maintain-passion.html

I agree with Conte that market has gone crazy but I don't think we can win the league with this team anyway. We still must spend something especially on defenders.

I hope a top/very good center-back joins us. If we don't sign any CB and Conte somehow manages to win the league with this shambolic defence, he deserves a statue right beside Ossie.

1 minute ago, Hybrid Angel said:

I hope a top/very good center-back joins us. If we don't sign any CB and Conte somehow manages to win the league with this shambolic defence, he deserves a statue right beside Ossie.

Presumeably after Jose's has been completed?

1 minute ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Presumeably after Jose's has been completed?

Lets not kid ourselves here, Ivanovic then was nowhere near as bad as he is now. Cahill you could argue is still the same, but Terry has regressed massively since our title-winning campaign. Not to mention that in the second half of the season Jose very often set up the team very deeply which really suited Cahill and Terry. I don't think they will get the same privileges in Conte's high pressing system.

2 hours ago, Tautvix said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3709645/Antonio-Conte-expresses-concern-crazy-transfer-market-believes-important-maintain-passion.html

I agree with Conte that market has gone crazy but I don't think we can win the league with this team anyway. We still must spend something especially on defenders.

Did anyone else read his quotes in his voice or was it just me?

This is what he said and left me thinking:

"Also, Kante was a target for Chelsea, my target, Chelsea's target. It's important that we close these operations.

My target? He didn't said the same thing about Bats.....

17 hours ago, Tomo said:

I don't think Conte actually likes Mikel as a player, id be surprised if he gets a new deal and will probably be subjected to the role Kalou got under AVB, ie as few minutes as possible.

Even if Mikel is a squad player, he is still a poor player. Won't feel safe when it comes to the time we have to use him, especially if/when something happens to Matic and Kante.

I was thinking about how 424 could work with a set of players we currently have, without potential signings.

GOALKEEPERS: Probably our strongest position. Courtois is one of the best in the world, so he gets the spot. Begovic is a very good backup, he is also home grown. If he leaves we need to bring in another sub keeper.

DEFENDERS: I'd move Azpi to the right as I like him there more than on the left, because he attacks more. We will need this in 424, because those 2 midfielders can't cover all the width and fullbacks need to help with this by moving forward. Ivanovic needs to be moved from the fullback spot because he is too slow to play there. So Azpi's backup would be Aina. On the left, I'd rotate Baba and Kenedy. The one who plays better until the winter stays, the other is loaned out and maybe we get a left back in winter. Right now I don't see it as priority. In the center the only player that is up to the standard is Zouma, but he is injured. We are left with Terry, Cahill and Ivanovic now who all have their faults. We need at least one more proven central back. This should be our priority. But if we don't buy one I'd play with Zouma and Terry, while Cahill and Ivanovic would be their backups.

MIDFIELDERS: In midfield we need hard workers. Those 2 midfielders will have hard job covering all that ground in the middle of the pitch. So we need to find the best partnership ASAP. Kante is of course my first choice. For his partner I'd choose Oscar. Yes, Oscar. I can see him shinning in this new position of CM. He didn't live up to expectations as a CAM, but I always thought he is more suited to play in a deeper role. He has a nice work rate, knows how to tackle, but he is sometimes a bit reckless in his tackles so he needs to work on this aspect. I'd give him his last chance as I'm sure it would work out perfectly. Matic would be Kante's backup and we could play with Matic and Kante against stronger teams. While Cesc would be Oscar's backup. I'd actually prefer Cesc to play in the starting 11 instead of Oscar, but two men midfield just doesn't suit him. He isn't energetic enough and his work rate and defensive ability are poor. He would play against weaker teams that sit deep though and the formation would change to 433.

46 minutes ago, The Chels said:

At 1:13 Conte says he has two ideas for our system of play (formation). I wonder if he's referring to 4-2-4 and 4-4-2 or whether he's hinting at something different like 4-3-3.

Read the paragraph above mate :)

WINGERS: On the right we would have our work horse Willian who is perfect for this role. He would rotate with Pedro. I'd get rid of Cuadrado and keep Moses who would be a backup to Hazard. I think Moses deserves his chance, I hope Conte will give a chance to fringe players who may not be a "big name" but work their ass and Moses definitely does every pre-season. At least give him half a season to prove his worth. I really do think Moses could be Chelsea's Giaccherini. In the start, I thought Hazard may play in SS role. But now I actually think him playing on the left makes even more sense. By having 2 strikers upfront it gives Eden much more space to work with, when cutting inside he will find himself in many more 1v1’s with right backs, which he adores and thrives on, because the centre-backs are having to mark or be wary of the 2 strikers. After having Mourinho who instilled more of a disciplined mentality into Eden, I think he will adjust to dropping back when out of possession, as he did in the 4231 without the ball. Most teams play with 4 at the back, and we have 4 forwards, so each defender has to cover his own player. And you don't want to be in 1v1 situation against Eden. If winger tries to assist the wing back in pressing on Hazard then Baba or whoever will play on the left can overlap and cross in the box where 2 strikers are waiting to head the ball in. If defensive midfielders try to cover Eden then they leave a hole in the middle of the pitch and Oscar can try with late runs in the box. We have infinite options.

STRIKERS: Costa is the first striker. If Conte can tame and calm him down while keeping his assertiveness Costa can again become one of the best in the Europe. Batshuayi to partner him as supportive striker that connects midfield and attack and makes quick runs in the box when there's a chance. Traore as Costa's back up and RLC as Bats' backup. RLC can be the most important part in this team if he develops into SS. He's got the size, technique, nice shot  and pass and experience with playing in the midfield. There aren't many players I hope Conte transforms him into SS, because then he will be invaluable as there aren't many players that can play this position properly.

BUY: Koulibaly/Mustafi. This should be our priority. If we can pull of the deal for CM that would be nice too, but it's not as important. Buy replacement if another player leaves.

SELL: Djilobodji, Mikel, Cuadrado, Remy

LOAN: Miazga, Hector

4 hours ago, The Chels said:

At 1:13 Conte says he has two ideas for our system of play (formation). I wonder if he's referring to 4-2-4 and 4-4-2 or whether he's hinting at something different like 4-3-3.

His English is improving all the time. By the end of the year he will have an even better command of the language. Really impressed because he's clearly given it a lot of effort.

5 minutes ago, Styles said:

His English is improving all the time. By the end of the year he will have an even better command of the language. Really impressed because he's clearly given it a lot of effort.

It's awesome, isn't it? His English is great!

Shows how dedicated he is to making the most of his opportunity at Chelsea.

4 hours ago, Pizy said:

It's awesome, isn't it? His English is great!

Shows how dedicated he is to making the most of his opportunity at Chelsea.

I would love it if he was a success he stayed for a decade and more.

But being realistic, this is the modern day game, he will probably want a new challenge eventually, if he can give us 5 years with a couple of titles and consistent European performance then that would be brilliant.

I'm too excited. I think Conte is going to take the league by storm. You know, if he manages to fend off all these great managers (Klopp, Mourinho, Pep, Wenger) and win some titles over the next few seasons, people will finally put the due respect on his name. 

On 26.7.2016 at 10:49 PM, Pizy said:

Looks like confirmation as well that he wants Oscar to be a midfielder in the center of the pitch rather than in an advanced position. What I've been crying out to see for a couple of years.

Got so much bashing from rmpr and henrique when i wanted Him to play b2b or cm

1 hour ago, The Skipper said:

I'm too excited. I think Conte is going to take the league by storm. You know, if he manages to fend off all these great managers (Klopp, Mourinho, Pep, Wenger) and win some titles over the next few seasons, people will finally put the due respect on his name. 

I dunno about storm but I'm a fully paid up member to the Conte project. If we now buy 3 new players - ST/FB/CB then I'll be jumping up n down right next to you bud.

On 27/07/2016 at 10:59 AM, Tautvix said:

I couldn't agree with you more mate. We are in bad need of a CB and FB. But it looks like theyre in need by alot of big clubs (with the Europe carot to dangle) so we are going to have to fork out for the standard of player we need.. Same goes with a striker. Seems more n more likely Costas off to AM with his supposed message to Simeone asking him to wait for him. But it looks like CFC has told him he cant go till wee sign a replacement. Thats why the new links with Morata tho I still think Lukaku will get signed.

47 minutes ago, Clevemayer said:

Got so much bashing from rmpr and henrique when i wanted Him to play b2b or cm

they don't have the best education system in Brazil, don't blame them