The Conte Thread

9 minutes ago, The Chels said:

No shame.

Obviously he'd say something like that. What manager is going to say "No I'm not working to the best of my ability", what sort of message does that send to one the owner, two the fans and three the players? Him using the world exploiting is odd, how many times have you heard somebody say they're exploiting a squad to the max level? Is that another funnily worded hint or dig towards the club for leaving him short of players in his mind or what?

Anyway when you put 11 players of that level out on the pitch you'd expect more if you were any manager. He made a bad call with a sub (not first time). That really changed the game for me, showed his intentions, to let Bournemouth play more. He has to motivate the players for the rest of the season and get them to finish top 4, he can do it I'm sure but again hes got to watch because a few more results like this against smaller sides and he probably won't be in a job long. Roman is not afraid to do something like that without hesitation. In the next month or two we'll probably have forgotten about this result anyway. Sometimes these freak show days just happen. 

Just seen the second quote. This is not news to anybody. We experienced this shit when we won the league under Jose, we didn't improve and look what happened. Every summer, most top 4-6 teams buy 3-6 players minimum of a good standard or to fill their squad. We needed improvement on Moses, Alonso, Batshuayi, Cahill, etc. We didn't sign anybody to improve on them (Well Morata but lost Costa after so not really improvement). If we finish top 4 hes done alright, considering all the talk and how people will say he needs to go now etc after this defeat, considering our strange dealings, considering more minutes (lame excuse still but yeah), considering the form of players who were much better last season etc etc. but these things should be expected. 

2 minutes ago, MrExcalibur100 said:

Who do you think is responsible for signing Serie A mediocrity when our manager just so happens to be Italian and has coached in the Italian league? Smarten up man

He might be the one or not....but it doesn't help matters when the board keep signing mediocre players in the mould of drinkwater bakayoko and the not from Italian league... Another example is the recent closure of the winter transfer window....we should have used the period to sign a quality winger ala Fekir/Baily/Pulisic that will elevate our attacking play... But no we keeping merry go rounding looking for target man... A blind child can see our attacking play is absolute disaster.... 

3 minutes ago, Georgy said:

As bitter as he sounds, he is right. This team shouldn't even be close to top 4 as thing stand right now.

If it wasn't for Wembley being their home, Tottenham would be out of reach too. And that makes me really really worry about our chances. Even though at the moment we are in the top 4, we are far away from it.

He should've done better, probably. But I am just not buying that with Fabregas in midfield-2 we would all of a sudden be much better. Guy got to prepare the squad with no striker, with no Willian, with newish Barkley and Fabregas who just got out of injury. His "mistakes" are always up for discussion, those are not THEE mistakes, which everyone just admit they are. Like Alonso being slow, like Cahill being clumsy, like our midfield which can't keep the ball, like hundred other things.

And someone said that his training sessions are too much for our players? Without them they would be even more average, but players would be more healthy, I guess.

Last season we have all agreed that this formation with 3 at the back just suits our players so well. And now that changed? All of a sudden Azpi is great at RB? Alonso is classy LB? Our CBs are good enough to play in 4 at the back?

I don't know what will happen, Conte might be guilty for something here and there, but our club's state is just not his fuckin' fault.

22 minutes ago, Georgy said:

As bitter as he sounds, he is right. This team shouldn't even be close to top 4 as things stand right now.

I disagree. There is a lot of mediocrity in the squad, for sure, but there is also a lot more talent than is being displayed. Enough to make top 4 comfortably. Just build a somewhat competent and proactive system around Hazard and we're halfway there.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

"consider a CL finish a great success' :lol:

He's making us like Arsenal now!

He's making a lot of "tempering expection" comments lately, the type Roy fucking Hogdson made (and was universally mocked for) while managing Liverpool and England.

1 minute ago, Tomo said:

He's making a lot of "tempering expection" comments lately, the type Roy fucking Hogdson made (and was universally mocked for) while managing Liverpool and England.

He even said we're overachieving! I know we don't have a squad like City's but bloody hell. He's seriously asking to be sacked TBH. It's one defeatist comment after another.

5 minutes ago, The Chels said:

I disagree. There is a lot of mediocrity in the squad, for sure, but there is also a lot more talent than is being displayed. Just build a somewhat competent and proactive system around Hazard and we're halfway there.

Thing is, Conte did, but has now seemingly ripped it up/got found out.

I'm still fully behind him and understand what he's saying. Going a bit overboard with the overachieving statement, though. I think we're right where we should be with this team - a slugfest for a CL place. 

Sadly, it does feel like he'll be a couple of poor results in a row away from the sack for the remainder of the season. Hope it doesn't happen.

3 minutes ago, The Chels said:

I disagree. There is a lot of mediocrity in the squad, for sure, but there is also a lot more talent than is being displayed. Just build a somewhat competent and proactive system around Hazard and we're halfway there.

Everyone with half a brain was asking for a complete midfielder that can be capable physically, technically and can make quick decisions and forward passes to pair with Kante. We still have a huge hole in midfield with no suitable partner for Kante. Bakayoko and Fabregas are not the answer. It wouldn't have cost us a huge amount of money to sign such a player. If we were willing to spend 40 mil on Bakayoko it shouldn't

This lack of balance is another reason why we've been dilly dallying back and forth between a 3-4-3 and 3-5-2 which has cost us some points/bad results this season. 

It's just crazy how the people in charge of one of the biggest clubs in the world can't see obvious imbalances in our squad. Simple basic shit. Sign a Tolisso.  Someone, a CM of that ilk. Its just weird to me.  I manage my squad better in Football Manager FFS. 

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

He even said we're overachieving! I know we don't have a squad like City's but bloody hell. He's seriously asking to be sacked TBH. It's one defeatist comment after another.

Scenes if we win 1-0 at Watford and he brands it a famous victory!!

1 minute ago, Pizy said:

I'm still fully behind him and understand what he's saying. Going a bit overboard with the overachieving statement, though. I think we're right where we should be with this team - a slugfest for a CL place. 

Sadly, it does feel like he'll be a couple of poor results in a row away from the sack for the remainder of the season. Hope it doesn't happen.

Unless things get to unprecedented levels of shit ala 15/16 he will still get till the end of the season.

19 minutes ago, Jason said:

He's approaching Mourinho territory...begging to be sacked.

Mourinho said the same thing when we were 10th at the table. Of course he had no right to say that. Conte is saying that now, when we were 3rd most of the time in the league. And now we are 4th, which still isn't the end of the world. So, not the same thing.

3 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Thing is, Conte did, but has now seemingly ripped it up/got found out.

I know it's easy to say this now but one of my main concerns when we got Conte was his lack of tactical flexibility. After the formation switch last season, I thought that concern was unfounded. Turns out that I was right to have that concern to begin with. Has consistently stuck with the back 3 this season, even when it's clear that it's not working and when we are chasing games! No change to a 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2. It's always just 3-5-2 or 3-4-3. No wonder we have become so predictable to watch, as predictable as us giving the ball to Ivanovic and watching him put aimless ball into the box under Mourinho.

2 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Unless things get to unprecedented levels of shit ala 15/16 he will still get till the end of the season.

I don't know. We lose badly to Watford on Monday, fall out of the top 4, and Conte says more defeatist things I think he'll be in danger. Another bad result after that and I think it could happen. With Barca coming and a CL place on the line Roman may feel the need for drastic steps.

1 minute ago, Pizy said:

I don't know. We lose badly to Watford on Monday, fall out of the top 4, and Conte says more defeatist things I think he'll be in danger. Another bad result after that and I think it could happen. With Barca coming and a CL place on the line Roman may feel the need for drastic steps.

Hah, imagine. Anyone but Hiddink please.