The Conte Thread

I didn't realize that so many people want Conte out.  It's crazy, IMO.

I generally don't think it's a good idea to give a manager too much power.  If he leaves, we have ill suited players for the next guy.  But, you have to get the players that the manager needs to suit the system that he thinks is best for the team.  Catch 22.

The solution to that, of course, is to have a club philosophy, and you get a manager that suits the club.

Our club philosophy is:  Here's a bunch of players.  They're all generally decent.  A couple of them are excellent.  A couple of them have limitations and are really only suited to particular roles.  We want to bring through some youth, our youth program is actually very successful.  Oh, and win now.

Who's better than Conte for us?

Meanwhile, our board can't even sign injured Palmieri and 32-yo Edin Džeko, which maybe are Conte's wishes, but certainly not first choices.

'Oh pls Conte stop trning our club in to sheeeet we was so good club, so great, you RUINED IT! Pls leave.'

(/sarcasm)

The whole thing is just nothing short of amateurish and sad. The divide between board and manager is huge now, Conte has chucked the towel in and now is even speaking openly about how it's all the clubs doing regarding transfers and he will come in when asked. The club have their own direction so we may as well not even have a fucking coach, just let Jody Morris come in every now and again, take the odd training session and fuck it all.

Conte is not turning this club into anything, the club is turning itself into mediocrity by the way it conducts itself and the way we do deals. The vision from Conte is totally different to that of the board, you can see it, it's as plain as the nose on your face and it just simply doesn't, and cannot work like that. How anyone can actually have the audacity to actually point all of this on Conte is beyond me. He's made some bad selection decisions and has also made bad in game choices but the simple fact is the board want something totally different to the manager, yet he is expected to deliver on a "Here have that player" basis.

He should be knighted for what he did last season, and from that point, the club/board should of sat down and said, now we have to build on this, turn this group of talented players into an even bigger force to push onto the next level. They didn't, what they did do was fail to get the top players to take us up a level, and that's even another question did they actually try and the vision was middle of the road players all along, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest. This club hasn't had direction for years now, and only the people at the very top can control that, not Conte, not the team but the fucking dickheads who control this club.

In my line of work I have two managing directors and an area manager, they back me, they trust me and in tough times they ask my advice and my take on things. It's called communication and a working relationship that should happen in every workplace and environment. I have no doubt Conte has the trust of the players but there is where it stops, the border then to the board is so broken it's as if Conte has given up, which I think he has. And think about this, he knows he's going end of the season, it's written in his face and body language, so I think he has every fucking right to speak to the media about the way this club is being ran and maybe it just the flare in the sky needed to warn other managers who are next in line that this board run the club no matter who is in charge, and you will get no fucking say, it's their way or the highway.

It stinks and it's fucking killing this club.

16 hours ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

I'm sure you can see the difference between the level of competition this year and the one from last year. We didn't need to rotate much with virtually one game a week the entire campaign. And to be honest I was never impressed with Chalobah... lots of hype and no actual skill if you ask me.

So what players are available at our price point that teams were willing to sell? Does said player improve us massively? We were in for Tolisso he decided to go to Bayern and to be honest I'm not even sure he's much better than we have in Cesc. The problem is what we need in the transfer window is allegedly out of our price range. We need to sprinkle a little pixie dust on the squad to get us back(?) to the elite level. We need 1-2 world class players not 5-6 average players. And for whatever reason Chelsea have refused to pay the money required to bring in elite level talent to go along side your courtois' hazard's, Azpi's and Kante's.

We aren't a bad team. We are third in the most difficult competition in the world but in order to compete we can't continuously buy average players and expect more that modest results. Not asking for much here two players and it's a done deal! Had we actually got Sandro and then went in and acquired someone like Mahrez that would be a real signal of intent. Instead we almost got Emerson(who is injured) and we're screaming for Hudson-Odoi to play!

I agree about Chalobah, which begs the question would he have got picked as often as even Danny has (talking the hypothetical situation where the board says no Drinkwater use Nate instead)? I doubt it and Conte would have likely flogged Kante, Baka and Cesc to death and even played Luiz before picking him. Which is what i mean by we have strengthened in terms of numbers, money for players Conte didn't use has funded for players he has. In the market there is always quality to improve us attainable, infact two of our world class players you mentioned sneaked in on the cheap under the radar. We aren't joining in the new found game of supermarket sweep with Manchester, Barca and Paris, that much is clear but we have enough money to compete if we scout, recruit and coach well, all that means is our staff and coaching team have to earn their wages that little bit more.

United of 2006 is an example for the route we need to go down, we were escaping in the distance spending obscene amounts yet what was United's response? Michael Carrick and two defenders in Evra and Vidic who came in under the radar. United fans were livid at the time "no ambition", "Fergie's lost it", "our board are cunts, Chelsea are getting Essien, Shevchenko, Ballack and Ashley Cole while we are hunting in the bargain bin, disgrace" yet as it turned out, those three elavated United up a level and ultimately knocked us off top spot. Ofcourse it helps that they had the greatest manager, but it shows there's players out there that will improve us without costing obscene amounts and we proved that ourselves early this decade too, can i name players? I haven't followed foreign football for ages so no, but our well paid scouts and whoever replaces Emenalo should be identifying suitable players.

13 hours ago, the wes said:

Chelsea board losing patience with Antonio Conte's claims he has no say on signings

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/01/25/chelsea-losing-patience-antonio-contes-claims-has-no-say-signings/

"Chelsea board losing patience for finally being criticised - if you want to call it that - by a manager" perhaps a better and more truthful headline. 

19 minutes ago, Tomo said:

United of 2006 is an example

Archaic example, but I guesss the board is thinking similarly as I said earlier that our board is still shopping like it is 2007. Premiere league and world football has gotten a lot more competitive since then.

Also saying SAF did it why cant our guys is like criticizing Hazard because he does not 30 plus goals a year like Messi. SAF and Messi are unique. You cant expect other people to accomplish what they did.

20 minutes ago, 11Drogba said:

Archaic example, but I guesss the board is thinking similarly as I said earlier that our board is still shopping like it is 2007. Premiere league and world football has gotten a lot more competitive since then.

Also saying SAF did it why cant our guys is like criticizing Hazard because he does not 30 plus goals a year like Messi. SAF and Messi are unique. You cant expect other people to accomplish what they did.

Ok, so lets factor in inflation, £7-15m then is what 25-35 now? Im pretty sure quality players are attainable in that bracket, players that can improve us, if we go by the last three season's off the top of my head (to keep it recent) Salah, Alderwierld, Son, Ederson, Bailly, Mane, Waynama, Firminho all signed by our rival clubs in that bracket or less, as much as one of them would improve us right now. £200m (money we spent last summer) means we can sign 5-6 players on that price range, get as much as 3 that turn out as good as those names and we are a different proposition.

1 minute ago, Tomo said:

Ok, so lets factor in inflation, £7-15m then is what 25-35 now? Im pretty sure quality players are attainable in that bracket, players that can improve us, if we go by the last three season's off the top of my head (to keep it recent) Salah, Alderwierld, Son, Bailly, Mane, Waynama, Firminho all signed by our rival clubs in that bracket or less, as much as one of them would improve us right now. £200m (money we spent last summer) means we can sign 5-6 players on that price range, get as much as 3 that turn out as good as those names and we are a different proposition.

Yes Liverpool and Tottenham have been buying 20-30m  players and some of them have been really good, but look what they have won with this strategy? 0

Where are they compared to Manchester clubs in the table? Under.

If other clubs do not start buying expensive elite players like Manchester clubs there is no chance they can consistently compete with them. This is a fact in 2017.

On 1/25/2018 at 10:01 AM, Pizy said:

He won't be sacked during the season unless top 4 is gone. We'll batter Newcastle this weekend and the mood will lift temporarily.

Expect to be disappointed then bud, especially with the newcastle game.

It's remarkable how things have changed since we won the League. We had the momentum, but we failed to manage the situation properly. 

Now everyone seems to be in a better position than us.

City - at least one level above Chelsea, in terms of money, in terms of philosophy

United - seem to get along with their manager quite well, just extended his contract and signed another superstar;

Arsenal - are trying to sign some decent players and seem to have become our Nemesis;

Liverpool - they keep brining in good prospects and giving their manager credit;

Spurs seem to be the only ones that lost their momentum as well. 

We are clearly not going to create a club philosophy. We'll just have one good seasons, followed by a mediocre one, then by a shitty one, then by a good one again. 

We will keep chaning managers, keep a good financial balanc and try winning a trophy once in a while. However, since the others will actually make progress, it's gonna be more and more difficult for us to compete. To be honest, I cannot see either Hazard or Courtois extending their contracts. We are very much at risk of turning into a 4-6th place club. And it's gonna be very very difficult to get out of that zone. 

I got tired of watching his press conferences months ago because the awful journalist ask him literally the same questions every few days and he gives the same answers every time.

So did he sound like he knew he's off soon or was he just annoyed to be there?