The Conte Thread

1 hour ago, El P. said:

We were creating chance after chance, but didn't convert any. Can't see that being Conte's fault... Yes, he could've replace Bakayoko and so on, but those are minor things compared with others, I would say.

I'm annoyed he waits too fucking long to bring anybody on. We start with Hazard and Morata against a wall of what, 5 Arsenal defenders with Willian and Pedro sat on the bench. Drinkwater could have started over Bakayoko. At the end of the day, the tactics and personnel were poor. Conte is to blame, nobody else. He can whine about the squad, but there's players plenty good enough to beat that depleted Arsenal side. Wenger has outwitted him how many times now? He went into this game with a spineless lineup and spineless tactics, now talks about not getting the players he wants. He seems to think every top player will come at his call, but it doesn't happen. Now it's getting tough we are getting excuses from him. If we had won tonight we wouldn't have heard a peep, that's what gets me. He was also the man who is to blame for Costa situation, so before he talks about missed opportunities, remember why we're in that situation up front. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

If he needs limitless amounts of money to win the league again, then don't bother. As soon as the league has gotten tough we're hearing this shite. It bores me when Jose does it, and it's boring me now. 

1 hour ago, MrExcalibur100 said:

Amazing quote which has so far gotten little attention. "Coincidentally" rumours of him replacing Emery at PSG also abound. He's not going to be here next season is he?

think he was talking of Juventus more than anything.  I dont think he'd be mad enough to publicly bash us almost.    

7 minutes ago, It's too big said:

I'm annoyed he waits too fucking long to bring anybody on. We start with Hazard and Morata against a wall of what, 5 Arsenal defenders with Willian and Pedro sat on the bench. Drinkwater could have started over Bakayoko. At the end of the day, the tactics and personnel were poor. Conte is to blame, nobody else. He can whine about the squad, but there's players plenty good enough to beat that depleted Arsenal side. Wenger has outwitted him how many times now? He went into this game with a spineless lineup and spineless tactics, now talks about not getting the players he wants. He seems to think every top player will come at his call, but it doesn't happen. Now it's getting tough we are getting excuses from him. If we had won tonight we wouldn't have heard a peep, that's what gets me. He was also the man who is to blame for Costa situation, so before he talks about missed opportunities, remember why we're in that situation up front. 

It's ok. But for the same reason we don't bash Azpi, Kante or Hazard harshly when they under-perform we shouldn't bash Conte very harsh and cut him some slack. Because Azpi, Kante, Hazard, I would say Courtois too, along with Conte, have done some really great stuff in last couple of years and months.

I say we should aim our criticism mostly on our consistent under-performers. ;)

1 hour ago, It's too big said:

If he needs limitless amounts of money to win the league again, then don't bother. As soon as the league has gotten tough we're hearing this shite. It bores me when Jose does it, and it's boring me now. 

Don’t think he means unlimited amounts of money. Just the players he wants.

There’s no doubt that City have won the league already regardless of a miracle but their recruitment started last season with recruitment of the likes of Gundogan, Stones, Jesus, Bravo, Sane and also this summer with the likes of Walker, Mendy, Ederson and Bernardo Silva. They weren’t second or third choice buys they were first options of the managers. Even before Pep came in, they signed the likes of De Bruyne, Sterling, Fernandinho and Otamendi too. I’m sure Conte is talking more about his Juventus days but wouldn’t be surprised if that’s was a little bit about last summer too with Luiz and Alonso although he made it work and possibly this summer(who knows?). If the club had signed an amount of players of this quality he wouldn’t complain because he would have a more competitive squad than he does now.

1 hour ago, ChelseaFanUK said:

think he was talking of Juventus more than anything.  I dont think he'd be mad enough to publicly bash us almost.    

why use clubs though as in plural. Also immediately after our game.

2 hours ago, It's too big said:

He should be showed crap players like Bakayoko and work with them even if he didn't want him. He is right in what he says, whats the fucking point of being the manager if you can't build your own squad. 

10 hours ago, Mana said:

I'm so fuming right now. I'm pissed off at Conte, Morata and Bakayoko.

Conte for subbing off Hazard while we are looking to get all 3 points. 

Bakayoko for having a disgusting first half.

And Morata for being worse than Torres.

I'm so fuming right now. 1 win in SIX now against Arsenal.

Why does Hazard always get Ted subbed off?

He is one of the most durable players around. What makes it worse is that he rested him at the weekend specifically for this game.

Conte really is a fooking idiot.

I'm sorry for the guy. Hes obviously going thru some shit with whatever board members are directly connected to player transfers, Hes more used to dealing with a hands on sporting director and I doubt very much if Granny turns up in her casuals every day asking his advice. What we need is a proper sporting director, a previous head scout or something with experience in looking at talent and specifically to suit our team and manager. Its gotta be difficult for any of our managers whoever it is or will be.

If you remember he left Juve straight into pre season training because he was pissed at the transfer system and I can see him doing it with us. Hes already said hes more of a 'coach' with us and not a manager. Just like Mou Roman is stripping back the managers duties. Not the way I would run a club.

Conte: “I give my opinion to the club, I try to tell what are the roles we can improve — including on the numerical aspect because in some roles we don't have a couple of players or there is a young player that is not ready to play with the first team "

“If the club ask me some names I try to do this but then it's the club, it's the club that decides the name, the investment, which is the best player for the team.”

Spineless tactics, what the hell? We were creating chances for fun, and Wenger did certainly not "outwit" him or whatever. But you know, at the end of the day only wins matter, had he parked the bus and won 1-0 after an own goal, he'd be hailed as a tactical genius just like some other coaches. :)

1 hour ago, Special Juan said:

He's trying to squeeze the board and rightly so, why shouldn't he ask for targets? He's the boss, he runs the team and now people want him to stay quiet? It looks like he maybe off in the summer and it's nothing short of criminal, but what is more criminal is this board will not do everything it can to get the targets of the manager. All these Conte noises have been going on for too long now for this to be an isolated incident, it's every time the window opens we hear more and more disconcerting noises from Antonio.

This board doesn't have a clue what they have in Antonio, but quite frankly I don't think they give a fuck.

Wankers.

Tatally agree with everything you said. Its not the manager we need to change its Romans yes men!

Yeah, anyone (here or on Twitter) criticizing Conte for his tactics are crazy. We have very clear personnel issues, not tactical or coaching ones. We are 2-3 signings away from being the best side in the league again. If our board are so tight with money and refuse to sign the necessary players for us to compete again, it's on them not Conte.

You can't be a "sell before we buy" club in this day and age when City, PSG, Madrid, Barca, United, and now even fucking Liverpool, are going out and spending literally whatever it takes to sign the players they really want.

Seriously, what must Conte have thought when he saw Liverpool's board go out and sign their managers #1 target before the transfer window even opened so he'd be ready to help them right away? Probably "must be nice to have a club that backs you."

United are nothing special this season and Liverpool and Spuds are breathing right down our necks. A couple of quality signings could really help lift the level of our team and solidify our position in the top 4.

Tactically, I wasn't happy with his substitutions, they showed no ambition. Fabregas, playing well and the only one capable of linking up and feeding the front 2, taken off for a destroyer (Drinkwater) while the useless Bakayoko stayed on for the full match. Fabregas was even much better defensively than Baka (not hard to do). Subbing Drinks for Bakayoko would have made us more solid defensively and more potent offensively. Then the standard Willian for Hazard sub, taking off our only bright spark in attack, the one who won the equalizer by himself and who can pull off something brilliant any second. I don't like to see us so obviously playing for the draw when we had all the chances in the world to win it, reminds too much of Mourinho this. Would have probably won if Bakayoko had been subbed around half-time (or not started at all) and Fab stayed on.

It is true he has a pretty bad squad in general, but sometimes his decisions are questionable.

6 minutes ago, manpe said:

Tactically, I wasn't happy with his substitutions, they showed no ambition. Fabregas, playing well and the only one capable of linking up and feeding the front 2, taken off for a destroyer (Drinkwater) while the useless Bakayoko stayed on for the full match. Fabregas was even much better defensively than Baka (not hard to do). Subbing Drinks for Bakayoko would have made us more solid defensively and more potent offensively. Then the standard Willian for Hazard sub, taking off our only bright spark in attack, the one who won the equalizer by himself and who can pull off something brilliant any second. I don't like to see us so obviously playing for the draw when we had all the chances in the world to win it, reminds too much of Mourinho this. Would have probably won if Bakayoko had been subbed around half-time (or not started at all) and Fab stayed on.

It is true he has a pretty bad squad in general, but sometimes his decisions are questionable.

Only reason I can think of for Conte taking off Fabregas is he was already on a yellow card and he needed someone on a clean slate to help see out the game without risking getting a red card. Hazard's substitution is mystifying to say the least though. He intentionally rested him against Stoke at the weekend for this game but doesn't play him for the full 90 minutes and it's the FA Cup next!