The Conte Thread

2 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

This is the bit that upsets me bruv

Conte: "No, I changed the number. Not me, not me. No, no. I think there is maybe this habit here, but I’m not involved in the transfer market. I give my opinion, but the club decides the players they want to buy, to invest in.”

IMHO from reading inbetween the lines he is asked by the club for his opinion on WHAT POSITION we need to strengthen and he only gives his opinion on the player he feels we need IF he is asked for it. He says that OTHER CLUBS hes been at has a sporting director who he talks to (inferring we don't work that way). I think this has upset/pissed him off so much that hes even changed his number so he cant receive agents calls etc.

I had an idea going back to Mous 1st arrival when there was a report trhat it was in his contract that he had nothing to do with buying,selling of players and was only asked for his opinion.

I honestly dont understand how a club can operate like this. The manager should have a major say in transfers and at least have a veto to stop transfers he didn't like.

Our manager does have a major say in the transfers we do. Just take a look at the players we've been linked with and have bought since Conte was appointed and you'll clearly see it. 

A lot of italians or players that play or played in italy. We bought Alonso, Zappacosta, and Rudiger. All three played in Italy before we bought them. We' were heavily linked  with Koulibaly, Nainggolan and Sandro.

Considering how Conte is i'm sure he'd want full control but how many teams actually give complete control to their managers ? 

Also why would they ? Most managers don't last very long. They either get sacked or move on to something better. 

Imo the club should always have the last say while the manager should have a major say in what players we get. 

The club should always have a vision, a direction where it wants the club to go while balancing that with the wishes of the manager.

Now i'm not happy with the lack of spending but that's a different issue.

33 minutes ago, Belgiannutt said:

Our manager does have a major say in the transfers we do. Just take a look at the players we've been linked with and have bought since Conte was appointed and you'll clearly see it. 

A lot of italians or players that play or played in italy. We bought Alonso, Zappacosta, and Rudiger. All three played in Italy before we bought them. We' were heavily linked  with Koulibaly, Nainggolan and Sandro.

Considering how Conte is i'm sure he'd want full control but how many teams actually give complete control to their managers ? 

Also why would they ? Most managers don't last very long. They either get sacked or move on to something better. 

Imo the club should always have the last say while the manager should have a major say in what players we get. 

The club should always have a vision, a direction where it wants the club to go while balancing that with the wishes of the manager.

Now i'm not happy with the lack of spending but that's a different issue.

But if you read/watch the interviews he gives its plain that we just don't operate loke that. If the guys changed his phone number so agents cant contact him then he sees it as pointless having conversations with them as they will lead nowhere.

Theres a difference between a manager having full control to giving the club a list of players he would LIKE to get if possible. He onlt gives his opinions IF ASKED.

6 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

But if you read/watch the interviews he gives its plain that we just don't operate loke that. If the guys changed his phone number so agents cant contact him then he sees it as pointless having conversations with them as they will lead nowhere.

Theres a difference between a manager having full control to giving the club a list of players he would LIKE to get if possible. He onlt gives his opinions IF ASKED.

I think he's just dissapointed with the lack of spending and trying to put more pressure on the board. He's been quite vocal about it. Like i said i'm sure he'd like to have full control.

About the phone number thing not sure how true that is. Maybe he wanted to just emhasis that he's not of any negotiations with the manager or player. 

He also wasn't in control at Juventus so why didn't he change his phone number then as it would have been pointless aswell.

The quote is" i give my opinion but the club decides" nowhere does it say "if asked". 

Also again if you look at the player we've bought. The ones i mentioned. It's clear that Conte has a strong influence on who we go after. Before we weren't as interested in the italian league as we are now.

44 minutes ago, Belgiannutt said:

Before we weren't as interested in the italian league as we are now.

I think there was many - myself included to an extent, that expected an influx of top Italian players following him. But this wasn't the case

I have always wished I had a super hero power to become a fly on the wall at will. It would be excellent to drop in on these conversations just to finally know for certain what goes on and who wants what etc. But sadly we have to wait till a manager leaves or writes his memoirs to get the full spiel.

I just hope he can get some sort of deal to make everyone including himself happy.

I liked this in a latest interview

Conte said: “I don’t want to promise we will win this or that, but my target is to put everything in to every situation, every game and every competition.

“My message to the Chelsea fans is this: we want to give the best satisfaction to you. And I want to thank our fans. Away and at home, they push us a lot.

“I want to say thanks for when they sing my name, too! To hear this is a great emotion for me.

“My promise to them is that we will give everything in every second of our life for this club.”

4 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

Bakayoko shouldn't of been selected for a start, Drinkwater has been miles better than him even in his cameo roles. Bakayoko didn't justify being selected tonight, not one bit, and the fact he was allowed to stay on is something I would question Conte on.....

Maybe he sees something we don't.. God knows what... Or is hopeful he'll remember what to do.. May be waiting a while on that too

Tbf we didnt lose the game. We probably could have lost. If that was Jose we'd have lost because once we conceded under him playing poorly we rarely ever got a look in. Bad conceding the second but it was coming, I'm generally surprised it didnt come earlier, before we even got our second. I think 352 was good formation to start with but Xhaka, Wilshere and Ozil dominated in there. I think changing to 343 could have been done but even then we had enough chances. Over the festive period we are unbeaten, conceding only 2 goals, dropping 4 points (tonight and at Everton), not all doom and gloom. 

This month will be huge now because we will sign some players after Conte's said that if players aren't happy with not playing they will be allowed to leave as long as they are replaced. Batshuayi, Musonda, Kenedy... reckon all will be gone come the end of the month (probably all on loan) and replaced with better quality. 

5 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

Bakayoko shouldn't of been selected for a start, Drinkwater has been miles better than him even in his cameo roles. Bakayoko didn't justify being selected tonight, not one bit, and the fact he was allowed to stay on is something I would question Conte on.....

This I can accept, and would question. Bakayoko was awful today. I'm not sure Conte thoroughly trusts Drinkwater, but his performance vs Stoke certainly didn't warrant him being dropped. 

The manager is the only reason the club is in the top 4 right now. Can't see the bunch of Morata, Bakayoko etc, winning each matchweek. Many bad transfers that Conte has had to deal with. but he has made this team punch above it's weight, with the kind of players we really have. Just imagine what he would do with a decent transfer window.